Thread: Needing some information please

Needing some information please

The wife and I are giving some serious thought to buying some land in the Rhinelander area. This will be our dream home / retirement place. At any rate.....I'm from Michigan and currently living and working in the dis-functional state of Liber-sota.....I mean Minnesota.

It would appear to me that Mr. Walker has made several positive changes there in WI and I was hoping that somebody would be able to tell me specifically what the Rhinelander area was like as far as political leanings, firearm views...etc.

(I don't want to move to bee-hive of liberal activity.)

Thanks for any information you can send my way.

Banned
    Your dream is to live in Wisconsin? Really? Cheese-land USA?

OK.

As far as moving to WI because of their current gun laws...that state could swing to an anti state quickly if some cows were shot next week.

WI is not a solid conservative state enough to justify a retirement move to...IMO...if 2nd amendment freedoms are near the top of your list where and why to move.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 08-29-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

OK.

As far as moving to WI because of their current gun laws...that state could swing to an anti state quickly if some cows were shot next week.

WI is not a solid conservative state enough to justify a retirement move to...IMO...if 2nd amendment freedoms are near the top of your list where and why to move.

All good points. Was origionally going to buy land in the Iron Mountain area of Michigan (that is where we are from). Michigan isn't exactly a bastion of conservatisim either....but gun laws are solid and probably will not change anytime soon. However, as I will be retiring, I also have a daughter and son in law who will likely be joining us on our mini-farm project and they both will need to work. Rhinelander has a much larger job market than the Iron Mountain area of Michigan.

The next elections in Wisconsin will probably tell the tale about gun laws.

The incorporated area and population of Rhinelander and Iron Mountain are amazingly similar, about 8 sq-mi and 8,000 souls. I'll bet the economies are virtually the same.

Openly carried guns have always been legal in Wisconsin, so it will take a sea change in politics and law to change that.

Some call Wisconsin a 'purple' state, from the red-state/blue-state paradigm. Wisconsin is red-state conservative except for the running abscesses of murky Milwaukee and People's Banana Republic of Madistan (Madison).
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

And yet we are holding our own at the moment no thanks to the likes of you.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan

OK.

There is currently a large Republican majority in the wisconsin Assembly (65-34, or thereablouts). THAT will not be changing any time soon. so even with a Demonrat Governor AND a flip to a Demonrat senate, gun laws in this state will more than likely stay at the current status. My opinion.
    Last edited by Plankton; 08-30-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    Liberty or death. We're sorry, there are no other options available at this time..........
    "Safety is the new Liberty, and recklessness is the new Freedom, and alcoholism is the new Doug Huffman."

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

WI is not a solid conservative state enough to justify a retirement move to.....
    Wisconsin is conservative with the exception of the Madison and Milwaukee urban centers. After the panic we just went through from just the mention of gun grabbing, Dems in WI are not stupid enough to mess with gun laws any time soon..

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    Wisconsin is conservative with the exception of the Madison and Milwaukee urban centers. After the panic we just went through from just the mention of gun grabbing, Dems in WI are not stupid enough to mess with gun laws any time soon..

In almost all states we have seen a loosening of firearms laws after the adoption of CCW laws. Hopefully this well be the case in Wis. in the future.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Regular Member Have Gun - Will Carry's Avatar

OK.
    Excuse me? Don't knock it until you've tried it... Maybe you should come here and smell our fresh dairy air!

These words coming from a resident of Connecticut, of all places? You've got to be joking. Uh, have you taken a look at your legislature lately? Or your state's gun laws?

Owning and carrying guns in Wisconsin is like Heaven compared to anywhere in the Northeast, except Vermont. We're a lot closer to their level of firearms freedom than Connecticut will ever be, and that won't be changing anytime soon.

ETA: I understand that earlier posts were comparing Wisconsin laws to Michigan's, not Connecticut's - I was merely struck by the people-who-live-in-glass-houses angle of your post.
    Last edited by Have Gun - Will Carry; 09-06-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: clarification
    There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. - John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Experience? Experience means political success, which means (today) Democrat or Republican. And it is precisely these professional politicians who have become corrupt and unrepresentative of the American people.