• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Needing some information please

Northern-Lights

The wife and I are giving some serious thought to buying some land in the Rhinelander area. This will be our dream home / retirement place. At any rate.....I'm from Michigan and currently living and working in the dis-functional state of Liber-sota.....I mean Minnesota.

It would appear to me that Mr. Walker has made several positive changes there in WI and I was hoping that somebody would be able to tell me specifically what the Rhinelander area was like as far as political leanings, firearm views...etc.

(I don't want to move to bee-hive of liberal activity.)

Thanks for any information you can send my way.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Your dream is to live in Wisconsin? Really? Cheese-land USA?

OK.

As far as moving to WI because of their current gun laws...that state could swing to an anti state quickly if some cows were shot next week.

WI is not a solid conservative state enough to justify a retirement move to...IMO...if 2nd amendment freedoms are near the top of your list where and why to move.

Last edited:

Northern-Lights

OK.

As far as moving to WI because of their current gun laws...that state could swing to an anti state quickly if some cows were shot next week.

WI is not a solid conservative state enough to justify a retirement move to...IMO...if 2nd amendment freedoms are near the top of your list where and why to move.

All good points. Was origionally going to buy land in the Iron Mountain area of Michigan (that is where we are from). Michigan isn't exactly a bastion of conservatisim either....but gun laws are solid and probably will not change anytime soon. However, as I will be retiring, I also have a daughter and son in law who will likely be joining us on our mini-farm project and they both will need to work. Rhinelander has a much larger job market than the Iron Mountain area of Michigan.

The next elections in Wisconsin will probably tell the tale about gun laws.

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan

OK.

There is currently a large Republican majority in the wisconsin Assembly (65-34, or thereablouts). THAT will not be changing any time soon. so even with a Demonrat Governor AND a flip to a Demonrat senate, gun laws in this state will more than likely stay at the current status. My opinion.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

WI is not a solid conservative state enough to justify a retirement move to.....

Wisconsin is conservative with the exception of the Madison and Milwaukee urban centers. After the panic we just went through from just the mention of gun grabbing, Dems in WI are not stupid enough to mess with gun laws any time soon..

Firearms Iinstuctor

Wisconsin is conservative with the exception of the Madison and Milwaukee urban centers. After the panic we just went through from just the mention of gun grabbing, Dems in WI are not stupid enough to mess with gun laws any time soon..

In almost all states we have seen a loosening of firearms laws after the adoption of CCW laws. Hopefully this well be the case in Wis. in the future.

Have Gun - Will Carry

OK.

Excuse me? Don't knock it until you've tried it... Maybe you should come here and smell our fresh dairy air! :lol:

These words coming from a resident of Connecticut, of all places? You've got to be joking. Uh, have you taken a look at your legislature lately? Or your state's gun laws? :rolleyes:

Owning and carrying guns in Wisconsin is like Heaven compared to anywhere in the Northeast, except Vermont. We're a lot closer to their level of firearms freedom than Connecticut will ever be, and that won't be changing anytime soon.

ETA: I understand that earlier posts were comparing Wisconsin laws to Michigan's, not Connecticut's - I was merely struck by the people-who-live-in-glass-houses angle of your post.

Last edited: