Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XDs .45ACP and 9mm safety recall

XDs .45ACP and 9mm safety recall

Springfield Armory has announced a recall of their XDs handguns in both .45ACP and 9mm:

http://gunssavelives.net/gun-industr...ds-45-pistols/
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

I haven't been to the XDS forums in quite a while because of the persecution of anyone who mentions a problem with the "holier then thou" XDS platform, so thanks for posting that.

Double firring was a problem mentioned by a tiny few on the XDS forums but dismissed by most as user error. Nice to see Springfield is taking action on that. Failure to return to battery is a problem mentioned by a whole lot of people on the XDS forums....and dismissed by most as user error...when is Springfield going to address that?

I've owned mine just about a year now and have experienced both problems (it is effected by this recall). Neither problem has popped up in the last few range trips but my range trips have become few and far between with the price and availability of .45 what it is.

Thanks for the heads up, two of mine fit within the serial#s recalled.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

And here I thought they were perfect and only Glocks had recalls.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    I haven't been to the XDS forums in quite a while because of the persecution of anyone who mentions a problem with the "holier then thou" XDS platform
    It's totally reasonable to persecute anyone who prefers Glocks.

Re: XDs .45ACP and 9mm safety recall

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    It's totally reasonable to persecute anyone who prefers Glocks.
    Ouch! Say what you will about the Glocks, they are the LEGO's of the pistol world. Blocky & goofy looking but they have so many options/ add-ons & carbines out their that take their stick mags too. Been around since the mid 1980's, so someone other than myself must see their usefulness also?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny. by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Ouch! Say what you will about the Glocks, they are the LEGO's of the pistol world. Blocky & goofy looking but they have so many options/ add-ons & carbines out their that take their stick mags too. Been around since the mid 1980's, so someone other than myself must see their usefulness also?
    Sure, but folks also like rap music, so hey.

Well...I've not experienced any of the problems with my XDs in 600+ rounds and it's smack-dab in the middle of the serial#'s mentioned......crap,hate to send it down the road for a fix when mine seems to have no issues. I'd really like to know what's causing the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 3FULLMAGS+1 View Post
    Well...I've not experienced any of the problems with my XDs in 600+ rounds and it's smack-dab in the middle of the serial#'s mentioned......crap,hate to send it down the road for a fix when mine seems to have no issues. I'd really like to know what's causing the problems.
    That was pretty much my situation as well, but I sure don't want a part to wear and start causing it or whatever so I bit the bullet so to speak and sent mine in. Currently carrying a loaner (I'm too poor to have a BUG, but blessed with good friends) so at least while it is out for repair I'm not left twisting in the wind.

As to what is causing the problems, same here - appears to be related to the backstrap safety since the recall website shows the external visual difference between a modified and unmodified XDs is the addition of a roll pin in the backstrap safety. I'll bet somebody out there has a modified XDs and has taken it apart to see, but I've not gone looking for a comparison like that (yet).
    NRA Life Member

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

I'm not a fan of glocks, however, they are a time tested, reliable manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by 3FULLMAGS+1 View Post
    I've got two of them in .45 and I'm not sending either one back. The wording of the recall did not convince me it was anything worth worrying about at all. I might send them back after the initial rush and if there was/is more of an incentive for doing so.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I've got two of them in .45 and I'm not sending either one back. The wording of the recall did not convince me it was anything worth worrying about at all. I might send them back after the initial rush and if there was/is more of an incentive for doing so.
    If every single XDs having a design flaw which can cause doubling (or tripling) isn't worth worrying about... More power to you. I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    If every single XDs having a design flaw which can cause doubling (or tripling) isn't worth worrying about... More power to you. I guess.
    Exactly. I had about 1K rounds through mine without a problem but decided to stop carrying it and send it in because all it could take is the perfect amount of wear in the wrong spot or the exact amount of crud build up and suddenly I get a discharge when chambering a round or a double/triple/empty the mag event. Not worth chancing it. But hey, life is replete with choices.
    NRA Life Member

Several years ago at a open carry event in west MI, (2010 IIRC?)a Fellow had a AD with a XD while loading/unloading per MI law for non permit holders prior to getting in a car. (No loaded carry for non permitees - must be in transport mode) He was charged by local police. He won the court case do to his XD being part of a very limited recall at that time, unknown to him at the time of the event. Looks like the problem is still being worked out.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 09-22-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny. by Mahatma Gandhi

... his XD being part of a very limited recall at that time, unknown to him at the time of the event. Looks like the problem is still being worked out.
    The XD-S has a very different trigger system than the XD; it is actually a DAO instead of a single-action like the XD.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    The XD-S has a very different trigger system than the XD; it is actually a DAO instead of a single-action like the XD.
    My syntax error - should have said similar problems with different variants. Overall all manufacturers have a blip from time to time. The test is how they respond. Looks like sprinfield is doing right so far.

Today's update from http://www.springfieldrecall.com/RecallUpdate.asp

XD-S Voluntary Safety Recall Update Status
    Updated 10/18/2013
    This information applies only to XD-S pistols in the serial number ranges below

Springfield 3.3 XD-S 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
    Springfield 3.3 XD-S .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300

We are pleased to announce that the process of upgrading XD-S pistols has begun, and we will start shipping TODAY on a first-received/first-upgraded basis.

In our last update, we reported that upgraded pistols would start shipping sometime next week. But our team has been working around the clock and we are thrilled to start shipping today.

We have greatly increased our staff to get upgraded pistols back to customers quickly, and we are committed to achieving the fastest turnaround times possible. For now, we are unable to provide specific return shipping date ranges, but we do expect to share more information next Friday after we've had a full week to gauge how efficiently we will be able to complete this process.

When upgrades are finished on individual firearms, customers will receive a shipping notice and tracking information at the e-mail address they provided for the XD-S recall. And as a token of our appreciation for our customers' patience and support, we will also be enclosing an XD-S extended magazine with X-tension sleeve with each pistol we return.

As we reported last week, our engineers have redesigned the grip safety and created more positive engagement between the sear and striker on the upgraded XD-S pistols. Our solution delivers the advantages of a smoother and more consistent trigger feel with just a slightly increased trigger pull. We chose this option based on the two most important attributes to self-defense firearm owners - safety and reliability - and we are confident that our customers will be extremely pleased with their upgraded pistols.

We want to again express our deep gratitude to all of our valued customers for their loyalty to Springfield Armory.

Please click the FAQ link in the red bar on top of this page to view our updated FAQ.

This Springfield XD-S Recall Update will be updated every Friday through the recall process. Please check back for updates.

As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S until the upgrade has been performed.

To receive updates by text message, text XDS to 25827
    NRA Life Member

Updated 11/01/2013

Springfield 3.3 XD-S .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300

Shipping continues to go very well and the speed of returns is increasing.

In our last update, we announced that shipping of upgraded XD-S pistols was underway and that in just the first week of production we realized a number of increased efficiencies, accelerating our upgrade and return time for each customer. Over the last week, we have upgraded and returned several thousand more pistols.

We are committed to achieving the fastest turnaround times as possible, and we will stick with that commitment until the last upgraded XD-S has left the Armory. Specifically, we expect to return upgraded pistols back to their owners as follows:

All XD-S pistols received at Springfield Armory on or before September 10, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Thanksgiving, if not before.

All XD-S pistols received between September 11-30, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Christmas, if not before

All XD-S pistols received between October 1-31, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners shortly after the holidays.

A very large number of pistols came into the Armory the first few days after the recall was announced. We are continuing to upgrade the first several batches received, and once we work through those pistols, progress will be even quicker. When your upgraded pistol is finished, you will receive a shipping notice and tracking information at the e-mail address you provided for the XD-S recall.

Customers continue to send back rave reviews on their upgraded XD-S pistols and we've also received a great deal of positive feedback on our first-in/first-out upgrade system. We truly appreciate that tremendous response from our valued customers. Click here to read a sample of those comments.

The entire Springfield Armory family greatly appreciates the patience and loyalty of our valued customers.

Click here to read a review from GunsAmerica regarding the upgraded XD-S pistols.

This Springfield XD-S Recall Update will be updated every Friday through the recall process. Please check back for updates.

NRA Life Member

Updated 11/08/2013

Upgraded XD-S shipments are on schedule and thousands more pistols are back in the hands of their owners.

In our last update, we announced a more specific shipping schedule for upgraded XD-S pistols. We are pleased to let you know that our upgrades are very much on track, and that many thousands more pistols are back in the hands of their owners.

Customers continue to tell us how pleased they are with their upgraded XD-S pistols. We truly appreciate that so many people have taken the time to share their experience with us. Click here to read a sample of those comments.

Of course we are anxious to get ALL of the XD-S pistols returned to our customers and we remain committed to achieving the fastest turnaround times possible. We will stick with that commitment until the last upgraded XD-S has left the Armory. A very large number of pistols came into the Armory the first few days after the recall was announced. We are continuing to upgrade the first several batches received, and once we work through those pistols, progress will be even quicker.

When your upgraded pistol is finished, you will receive a shipping notice and tracking information at the e-mail address you provided for the XD-S recall. As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S until the upgrade has been performed.

Click here to read a review from GunsAmerica regarding the upgraded XD-S pistols.

The entire Springfield Armoryr family greatly appreciates the patience and loyalty of our valued customers. Since next Monday, November, 11th is Veterans Day, the Springfield Armoryr family would like to extend a very special and heartfelt thanks to all members of our armed services for their heroic service to our country. Thank you for providing us the freedom that we all enjoy.

NRA Life Member

I might finally take mine out of its holster, unload it, and send it in now that they seem to have a "fix" and people seem to like it.

Just keep in mind that sending it in now probably means it will be gone till after the new year - perhaps well after:

All XD-S pistols received at Springfield Armory on or before September 10, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Thanksgiving, if not before.

All XD-S pistols received between September 11-30, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Christmas, if not before

All XD-S pistols received between October 1-31, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners shortly after the holidays.
    According to this excerpt from last week's update, pistols received over a week ago won't be back till "shortly after the holidays"...
    NRA Life Member

Updated 11/15/2013

Thousands of upgraded XD-S pistols are back in the hands of their owners and upcoming returns remain on schedule.

We are very pleased that so many thousands of upgraded XD-S pistols have been returned to their owners and that our in-house returns remain right on schedule.

We have received daily emails and letters from our customers who tell us how pleased they are with their upgraded XD-S pistols and how much they appreciate the extended mag that we included as a token of our appreciation for our valued customers. Click here to read an updated sample of those comments.

We know there is still a great deal of work to be done and continue to work around the clock to achieve the fastest turnaround times possible. We will continue at this pace until the last upgraded XD-S has left the Armory. As you know, we are working through the large number of pistols that came into the Armory in the early weeks of the recall and look forward to progressing even faster once those initial shipments have been completed. We will continue to keep you informed of our progress on a weekly basis until every upgraded XD-S has been returned.

When your upgraded pistol is finished, you will receive a shipping notice and tracking information at the e-mail address you provided for the XD-S recall. As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S until the upgrade has been performed.

The entire Springfield Armory family greatly appreciates the patience and loyalty of our valued customers.

NRA Life Member

On a personal note, my XDs that was sent to Springfield Armory on 9/4 and delivered to them by FedEx on 9/6 has now been listed as fixed on their status page at http://www.springfieldrecall.com/ReCall.asp. Hopefully they will ship it back to me on Monday so I expect to have it by the end of the week for testing and evaluation.
    Last edited by JustaShooter; 11-15-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    NRA Life Member

My XDs arrived yesterday, but as I had to work & then had midweek services I've wasn't able to shoot it till today.

Firearm was a bit oily, so I plan on cleaning it before taking it to the range. Visual inspection and function test revealed no issues. Trigger feel is OK - a bit more creep than I remember, but otherwise OK. Consistent clean break, no grit or other feel issues. I don't have a good trigger pull gauge but I do have a fish scale, and it says about 8 1/2 lbs of pull which is a bit high - but I don't exactly trust it so I plan on stopping at my gunsmith and having him test the trigger. I dry-fired it about 100 times before measuring it, so I imagine it is about as good as it is going to get.

Got out to the range and put about 150 rounds downrange. My impressions of the trigger are "dang, that creep is killing me - it wouldn't be so bad if the trigger weight wasn't so heavy!" If I really focused I could shoot it well, but by the end of the range session if I wasn't completely focused my hand would shake! Let me just say I've NEVER had my hand shake like that when practicing, and the only thing I can think of is that I was having to grip it too tightly to overcome the creep & trigger weight.

I had a couple of failure to feed malfunctions with the new extended magazine that came with the upgrade, not sure how to fix it yet, but otherwise no issues with the firearm function at all.

Unfortunately, my normal LGS's trigger pull gauge "grew legs" so I'll have to find another place to get it measured. In the mean time, I'm off to clean it. Here are some of the targets from tonight. All targets were shot at 25 feet, two hand grip unsupported. First off, the first 5 rounds - Winchester White Box 230gr ball ammo. 1st two rounds in the black, next three off to the right a bit:

Next, after 100 rounds of various flavors of ammo (factory, target handloads, JHP handloads) I shot up the 15 (I think) rounds I had left of the Speer Gold Dot 230gr +P Short Barrel loads I carry (I rotate through them every few months, and wanted to function check them with the upgrade). Not real happy with this target, but I was trying to push myself to shoot a bit faster and do quick mag changes:

Finally, I shot 50 rounds of my target loads (185gr LSWC) after slowing back down and focusing more on form and accuracy:

Yes, I know the targets are upside down, but that's how I shot them, I didn't flip the image upside down.
    NRA Life Member

That's the kind of report I need to hear. I'm not making any plans to send mine in unless I hear a bunch of stories about how the trigger is BETTER.

I do not fear the weird crap you have to do to make it have the unsafe condition that caused the recall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast