• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

XDs .45ACP and 9mm safety recall

JustaShooter

Just keep in mind that sending it in now probably means it will be gone till after the new year - perhaps well after:

•All XD-S™ pistols received at Springfield Armory® on or before September 10, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Thanksgiving, if not before.

•All XD-S™ pistols received between September 11-30, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Christmas, if not before

•All XD-S™ pistols received between October 1-31, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners shortly after the holidays.

According to this excerpt from last week's update, pistols received over a week ago won't be back till "shortly after the holidays"...

JustaShooter

Today's update from http://www.springfieldrecall.com/RecallUpdate.asp

XD-S™ Voluntary Safety Recall Update Status

Updated 11/15/2013

This information applies only to XD-S™ pistols in the serial number ranges below

Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300

Thousands of upgraded XD-S™ pistols are back in the hands of their owners and upcoming returns remain on schedule.

We are very pleased that so many thousands of upgraded XD-S™ pistols have been returned to their owners and that our in-house returns remain right on schedule.

•All XD-S™ pistols received at Springfield Armory® on or before September 10, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Thanksgiving, if not before.

•All XD-S™ pistols received between September 11-30, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Christmas, if not before

•All XD-S™ pistols received between October 1-31, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners shortly after the holidays.

We have received daily emails and letters from our customers who tell us how pleased they are with their upgraded XD-S™ pistols and how much they appreciate the extended mag that we included as a token of our appreciation for our valued customers. Click here to read an updated sample of those comments.

We know there is still a great deal of work to be done and continue to work around the clock to achieve the fastest turnaround times possible. We will continue at this pace until the last upgraded XD-S™ has left the Armory. As you know, we are working through the large number of pistols that came into the Armory in the early weeks of the recall and look forward to progressing even faster once those initial shipments have been completed. We will continue to keep you informed of our progress on a weekly basis until every upgraded XD-S™ has been returned.

When your upgraded pistol is finished, you will receive a shipping notice and tracking information at the e-mail address you provided for the XD-S™ recall. As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed.

The entire Springfield Armory® family greatly appreciates the patience and loyalty of our valued customers.

This Springfield XD-S™ Recall Update will be updated every Friday through the recall process. Please check back for updates.

As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed.

To receive updates by text message, text XDS to 25827

JustaShooter

On a personal note, my XDs that was sent to Springfield Armory on 9/4 and delivered to them by FedEx on 9/6 has now been listed as fixed on their status page at http://www.springfieldrecall.com/ReCall.asp. Hopefully they will ship it back to me on Monday so I expect to have it by the end of the week for testing and evaluation.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

My XDs arrived yesterday, but as I had to work & then had midweek services I've wasn't able to shoot it till today.

Firearm was a bit oily, so I plan on cleaning it before taking it to the range. Visual inspection and function test revealed no issues. Trigger feel is OK - a bit more creep than I remember, but otherwise OK. Consistent clean break, no grit or other feel issues. I don't have a good trigger pull gauge but I do have a fish scale, and it says about 8 1/2 lbs of pull which is a bit high - but I don't exactly trust it so I plan on stopping at my gunsmith and having him test the trigger. I dry-fired it about 100 times before measuring it, so I imagine it is about as good as it is going to get.

Got out to the range and put about 150 rounds downrange. My impressions of the trigger are "dang, that creep is killing me - it wouldn't be so bad if the trigger weight wasn't so heavy!" If I really focused I could shoot it well, but by the end of the range session if I wasn't completely focused my hand would shake! Let me just say I've NEVER had my hand shake like that when practicing, and the only thing I can think of is that I was having to grip it too tightly to overcome the creep & trigger weight.

I had a couple of failure to feed malfunctions with the new extended magazine that came with the upgrade, not sure how to fix it yet, but otherwise no issues with the firearm function at all.

Unfortunately, my normal LGS's trigger pull gauge "grew legs" so I'll have to find another place to get it measured. In the mean time, I'm off to clean it. Here are some of the targets from tonight. All targets were shot at 25 feet, two hand grip unsupported. First off, the first 5 rounds - Winchester White Box 230gr ball ammo. 1st two rounds in the black, next three off to the right a bit:

xdstarget120131121600x800.jpg

Next, after 100 rounds of various flavors of ammo (factory, target handloads, JHP handloads) I shot up the 15 (I think) rounds I had left of the Speer Gold Dot 230gr +P Short Barrel loads I carry (I rotate through them every few months, and wanted to function check them with the upgrade). Not real happy with this target, but I was trying to push myself to shoot a bit faster and do quick mag changes:

xdstarget420131121600x800.jpg

Finally, I shot 50 rounds of my target loads (185gr LSWC) after slowing back down and focusing more on form and accuracy:

xdstarget520131121600x800.jpg

Yes, I know the targets are upside down, but that's how I shot them, I didn't flip the image upside down.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That's the kind of report I need to hear. I'm not making any plans to send mine in unless I hear a bunch of stories about how the trigger is BETTER.

I do not fear the weird crap you have to do to make it have the unsafe condition that caused the recall.

JustaShooter

Today's update from http://www.springfieldrecall.com/RecallUpdate.asp

Updated 11/22/2013

This information applies only to XD-S™ pistols in the serial number ranges below

Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300

The upgrade process continues to go very well and we plan to meet or exceed the shipping commitments communicated earlier this month.

As a reminder, we committed to have all XD-S™ pistols - received at Springfield Armory® on or before September 10, 2013 - upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Thanksgiving, if not before. We will meet that commitment and we will continue to work on achieving the fastest turnaround times possible until the last upgraded XD-S™ has left the Armory.

• All XD-S™ pistols received at Springfield Armory® on or before September 10, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Thanksgiving, if not before.
  • All XD-S™ pistols received between September 11-30, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Christmas, if not before.
  • All XD-S™ pistols received between October 1-31, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners shortly after the holidays.

We are very pleased that so many thousands of upgraded XD-S™ pistols have been returned to their owners and that our in-house returns remain right on schedule. We have received daily emails and letters from our customers who tell us how pleased they are with their upgraded XD-S™ pistols and how much they appreciate the extended mag that we included as a token of our appreciation for our valued customers. Click here to read an updated sample of those comments.

We will continue to keep you informed of our progress until every upgraded XD-S™ has been returned.
When your upgraded pistol is finished, you will receive a shipping notice and tracking information at the e-mail address you provided for the XD-S™ recall.

The entire Springfield Armory® family greatly appreciates the patience and loyalty of our valued customers.

This Springfield XD-S™ Recall Update will be updated every Friday through the recall process. Please check back for updates.

JustaShooter

Stopped by to talk to the gunsmith this afternoon and see if he could test the trigger pull weight for me. Turns out he wasn't in, but the owner was and he offered to do it for me. The trigger averaged right at 7.5 lbs over 10 pulls.

That puts it just below Springfield Armory's published upper end for trigger pull weight (they say the trigger for the XDs should be between 5.5 and 7.7 lbs).

I think I'm still going to call SA and see if they will do anything with it but if not I'll see if my gunsmith can do some work on it. I'd like to bring the weight down by maybe 2 pounds and see if that long pull can be shortened up any.

JustaShooter

This week's update from http://www.springfieldrecall.com/RecallUpdate.asp

Updated 11/27/2013

We will meet our commitment to have all XD-S™ pistols received at Springfield Armory® on or before September 10 upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Thanksgiving, if not before.

In lieu of the regular Friday afternoon update, the Springfield Armory® team wanted to take this opportunity before the holiday to wish all of our valued customers a very happy and safe Thanksgiving and to express our appreciation for your loyalty.

We are very pleased that so many thousands of upgraded XD-S™ pistols have been returned to their owners, that we will meet our commitment for the first wave of firearms to be returned by Thanksgiving, and that our in-house returns remain right on schedule. We will continue to work on achieving the fastest turnaround times possible until the last upgraded XD-S™ has left the Armory.

* All XD-S™ pistols received at Springfield Armory® on or before September 10, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Thanksgiving, if not before.

* All XD-S™ pistols received between September 11-30, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Christmas, if not before.

* All XD-S™ pistols received between October 1-31, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners shortly after the holidays.

We have received daily emails and letters from our customers who tell us how pleased they are with their upgraded XD-S™ pistols and how much they appreciate the extended mag that we included as a token of our appreciation for our valued customers. Click here to read an updated sample of those comments.

We will continue to keep you informed of our progress until every upgraded XD-S™ has been returned.
When your upgraded pistol is finished, you will receive a shipping notice and tracking information at the e-mail address you provided for the XD-S™ recall.

The entire Springfield Armory® family is very THANKFUL for you. Happy Thanksgiving!!

JustaShooter

This week's update from http://www.springfieldrecall.com/RecallUpdate.asp

Updated 12/06/2013

Due to unforeseen importation delays - caused by the recent government shutdown - we are awaiting receipt of a large shipment of parts that will be needed to complete future upgrades. This frustrating delay may push our return schedule back by approximately two weeks for some customers. But, we remain committed to achieving the fastest turnaround times possible.

A slightly revised schedule follows below

All XD-S™ pistols - received at Springfield Armory® on or before Sept. 10, 2013 - have already been upgraded and shipped back to their owners. We are now working on all XD-S™ pistols received from Sept. 11-17, 2013, and those will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Christmas.

* All XD-S™ pistols received between Sept. 18-23, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Dec. 31, 2013.

* All XD-S™ pistols received between Sept. 24-30, 2013, will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Jan. 8, 2014.

* All XD-S™ pistols received between Oct. 1 - Nov. 18, 2013 will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners by Jan. 31, 2014.

* All XD-S™ pistols received between Nov. 19 - Dec. 6, 2013 will be upgraded and shipped back to their owners in early Feb. 2014.

Please accept our heartfelt thanks for your patience, loyalty and support of Springfield Armory®. We remain fully committed to resolving this matter as quickly as possible and we are confident that you will be extremely pleased with your upgraded 3.3 XD-S™.