Thread: Lawsuit against officer Heimsness who shot Mr. Heenan

Lawsuit against officer Heimsness who shot Mr. Heenan

After reading the lawsuit filed against the officer and the Madison police department I wonder why this situation hasn’t occurred against citizens while open carrying a firearm. The officer in the lawsuit had a history of excessive force against citizens and yet was allowed to remain on the police force. Reading the lawsuit makes me think twice about police encounters while carrying a firearm and how to respond. How would you handle an officer like Heimsness while open carrying a firearm? If ordered to the ground would you comply or argue your legally carrying a firearm?

http://www.channel3000.com/blob/view...aul-Heenan.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyridn View Post
    After reading the lawsuit filed against the officer and the Madison police department I wonder why this situation hasn’t occurred against citizens while open carrying a firearm. The officer in the lawsuit had a history of excessive force against citizens and yet was allowed to remain on the police force. Reading the lawsuit makes me think twice about police encounters while carrying a firearm and how to respond. How would you handle an officer like Heimsness while open carrying a firearm? If ordered to the ground would you comply or argue your legally carrying a firearm?

From reading the first few pages of the lawsuit I doubt you would have time to comply. Apparently this maniac whips out his gun and shoots at people for any reason formulated in his "mind". This "officer" should have been incarcerated long ago...yet he is still wearing a badge & hasn't been charged with any crimes??? Not only has he shot at numerous people during his lengthy "career" he has murdered a man and not been charged? Or has he?
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Officer Stephen Heimsness’ last day will be Nov. 23

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    From reading the first few pages of the lawsuit I doubt you would have time to comply. Apparently this maniac whips out his gun and shoots at people for any reason formulated in his "mind". This "officer" should have been incarcerated long ago...yet he is still wearing a badge & hasn't been charged with any crimes??? Not only has he shot at numerous people during his lengthy "career" he has murdered a man and not been charged? Or has he?

Officer Stephen Heimsness’ last day will be Nov. 23, he resigned from the Madison Police force. It don't look like he will be charged with anything which is sad after reading the lawsuit, he was not justified in the shooting but, the Madison police department didn't want to be blamed for the shooting so they found no wrong in what he did. Are there more out there like this officer? who knows, but sure makes you think about any and all encounters with LOE's while open carrying a firearm.

That is a most thoroughly researched complaint.

That is a most thoroughly researched complaint. Hopefully it will set the standard for actions against rogue cops and their enablers.

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Officer Stephen Heimsness’ last day will be Nov. 23, he resigned from the Madison Police force. It don't look like he will be charged with anything which is sad after reading the lawsuit, he was not justified in the shooting but, the Madison police department didn't want to be blamed for the shooting so they found no wrong in what he did. Are there more out there like this officer? who knows, but sure makes you think about any and all encounters with LOE's while open carrying a firearm.

I'm sure there are many more "officers" like him.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Banned

Well it certainly highlights that police cannot and will not police their own -- do you expect a town a admit guilt in such investigations?

Even if the internal affairs of MPD did not find "wrong doing" isn't this a civil suit? He could still be found guilty in the civil suit, correct?
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

CIvil Suit

Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    Even if the internal affairs of MPD did not find "wrong doing" isn't this a civil suit? He could still be found guilty in the civil suit, correct?

You are correct

You are correct
    Good. I hope the department feels a financial pinch because of this. Unfortunately, its the only way they'll learn.
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I'm sure there are many more "officers" like him.

Ya think?????
    A few years back I had a weapon drawn on me by a county LEO while I was sitting on my friggin snowmobile.
    Then a year or so ago, the same LEO who drew his weapon on me, shot his own niece. Why? Because he thought she was a cougar. (4-legged)
    You can't make this stuff up!
    My latest non-consensual contact there was 4 of them, I was CC, but not very well concealed. They never noticed, they turned their backs on me to try to illegally search my vehicle, none of them ever noticed 5 AR mags on my dashboard, or a box of .40 S&W on the seat, or an AK in the rear seat because they were so focused on a brown glass soda bottle on the floor.
    Priorities? What priorities?
    we get a ton of noobs up here who go on to bigger and better places, and the ones who should not be wearing a badge end up staying here, nice huh?