• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawsuit against officer Heimsness who shot Mr. Heenan

LOERetired

After reading the lawsuit filed against the officer and the Madison police department I wonder why this situation hasn’t occurred against citizens while open carrying a firearm. The officer in the lawsuit had a history of excessive force against citizens and yet was allowed to remain on the police force. Reading the lawsuit makes me think twice about police encounters while carrying a firearm and how to respond. How would you handle an officer like Heimsness while open carrying a firearm? If ordered to the ground would you comply or argue your legally carrying a firearm?

http://www.channel3000.com/blob/vie.../-/Lawsuit-filed-by-Estate-of-Paul-Heenan.pdf

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
After reading the lawsuit filed against the officer and the Madison police department I wonder why this situation hasn’t occurred against citizens while open carrying a firearm. The officer in the lawsuit had a history of excessive force against citizens and yet was allowed to remain on the police force. Reading the lawsuit makes me think twice about police encounters while carrying a firearm and how to respond. How would you handle an officer like Heimsness while open carrying a firearm? If ordered to the ground would you comply or argue your legally carrying a firearm?

http://www.channel3000.com/blob/vie.../-/Lawsuit-filed-by-Estate-of-Paul-Heenan.pdf

From reading the first few pages of the lawsuit I doubt you would have time to comply. Apparently this maniac whips out his gun and shoots at people for any reason formulated in his "mind". This "officer" should have been incarcerated long ago...yet he is still wearing a badge & hasn't been charged with any crimes??? Not only has he shot at numerous people during his lengthy "career" he has murdered a man and not been charged? Or has he?

LOERetired

Officer Stephen Heimsness’ last day will be Nov. 23

From reading the first few pages of the lawsuit I doubt you would have time to comply. Apparently this maniac whips out his gun and shoots at people for any reason formulated in his "mind". This "officer" should have been incarcerated long ago...yet he is still wearing a badge & hasn't been charged with any crimes??? Not only has he shot at numerous people during his lengthy "career" he has murdered a man and not been charged? Or has he?

Officer Stephen Heimsness’ last day will be Nov. 23, he resigned from the Madison Police force. It don't look like he will be charged with anything which is sad after reading the lawsuit, he was not justified in the shooting but, the Madison police department didn't want to be blamed for the shooting so they found no wrong in what he did. Are there more out there like this officer? who knows, but sure makes you think about any and all encounters with LOE's while open carrying a firearm.

protias

Officer Stephen Heimsness’ last day will be Nov. 23, he resigned from the Madison Police force. It don't look like he will be charged with anything which is sad after reading the lawsuit, he was not justified in the shooting but, the Madison police department didn't want to be blamed for the shooting so they found no wrong in what he did. Are there more out there like this officer? who knows, but sure makes you think about any and all encounters with LOE's while open carrying a firearm.

I'm sure there are many more "officers" like him.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Well it certainly highlights that police cannot and will not police their own -- do you expect a town a admit guilt in such investigations?

cirrusly

Even if the internal affairs of MPD did not find "wrong doing" isn't this a civil suit? He could still be found guilty in the civil suit, correct?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I'm sure there are many more "officers" like him.

Ya think?????
A few years back I had a weapon drawn on me by a county LEO while I was sitting on my friggin snowmobile.
Then a year or so ago, the same LEO who drew his weapon on me, shot his own niece. Why? Because he thought she was a cougar. (4-legged)
You can't make this stuff up!
My latest non-consensual contact there was 4 of them, I was CC, but not very well concealed. They never noticed, they turned their backs on me to try to illegally search my vehicle, none of them ever noticed 5 AR mags on my dashboard, or a box of .40 S&W on the seat, or an AK in the rear seat because they were so focused on a brown glass soda bottle on the floor.
Priorities? What priorities?
we get a ton of noobs up here who go on to bigger and better places, and the ones who should not be wearing a badge end up staying here, nice huh?