Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Calling businesses before OCing.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kelso, Washington, USA
    Posts
    258

    Calling businesses before OCing.

    So, I recently was added by a friend to the Texas Longarm OC Facebook page, and recently their thing has been to call businesses ahead of time and ask to see if it was alright to OC at their stores. Now, the main issue I have with this is that it MAY preemptively cause stores and corporations to say no, thereby restricting our places to go in terms of shopping whilst exercising our rights. Am I the ONLY person that finds this to be a deterrent to OC? I would much rather strap my gun on my hip, and go in without having to ask the manager or whathaveyou before purchasing what I need, and if they ask me first to hide the gun or put it away in the car, THEN I avoid the business.

  2. #2
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    That's almost as bad as the guy who wanted to call the police prior to going shopping while OC.
    Store: Hi may I help you?
    Me: Yes, it it OK if I come to your store while doing nothing illegal?
    Store: Uh, I guess that would be OK?

    Me now shouting: DO NOT CALL STORES AHEAD OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rant complete

    Just to add, the post mentions TX, so at least for now, no OC is allowed anywhere in TX (except at home/business I believe).
    Last edited by golddigger14s; 08-30-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  3. #3
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
    So, I recently was added by a friend to the Texas Longarm OC Facebook page, and recently their thing has been to call businesses ahead of time and ask to see if it was alright to OC at their stores. Now, the main issue I have with this is that it MAY preemptively cause stores and corporations to say no, thereby restricting our places to go in terms of shopping whilst exercising our rights. Am I the ONLY person that finds this to be a deterrent to OC? I would much rather strap my gun on my hip, and go in without having to ask the manager or whathaveyou before purchasing what I need, and if they ask me first to hide the gun or put it away in the car, THEN I avoid the business.
    I agree with you. If we are to normalize the legal open carry of firearms, then there is no need to call a business before entering. If you enter and there's no confrontation, you're good to go. If there is, then you know not to patronize them in the future and you can then post them as anti-gun on the appropriate website. You can also work with them to see if you can get them to change their mind.

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
    So, I recently was added by a friend to the Texas Longarm OC Facebook page, and recently their thing has been to call businesses ahead of time and ask to see if it was alright to OC at their stores. Now, the main issue I have with this is that it MAY preemptively cause stores and corporations to say no, thereby restricting our places to go in terms of shopping whilst exercising our rights. Am I the ONLY person that finds this to be a deterrent to OC? I would much rather strap my gun on my hip, and go in without having to ask the manager or whathaveyou before purchasing what I need, and if they ask me first to hide the gun or put it away in the car, THEN I avoid the business.
    (my bold above)

    You haven't been here long, have you? The answer is H@LL NO, you're not the only one to recognize it. On the other hand, someone clearly needs to edumacate those peeps at TX Longarm OC - so get to it!

    So, open carry in places where you're clearly not prohibited, if and until you're asked to leave. Then, leave, disarm, and if you think it would be productive, go back and calmly and persuasively talk to the manager, or write a well-written letter to someone else up the food chain about how disappointed you are to no longer be able to patronize their establishment.
    Last edited by BB62; 08-30-2013 at 07:13 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kelso, Washington, USA
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    (my bold above)

    You haven't been here long, have you? The answer is H@LL NO, you're not the only one to recognize it. On the other hand, someone clearly needs to edumacate those peeps at TX Longarm OC - so get to it!

    So, open carry in places where you're clearly not prohibited, if and until you're asked to leave. Then, leave, disarm, and if you think it would be productive, go back and calmly and persuasively talk to the manager, or write a well-written letter to someone else up the food chain about how disappointed you are to no longer be able to patronize their establishment.
    Well I think 4 years is long enough. I actually tried explaining it to them, but they told me that there are some issues with that.

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
    Well I think 4 years is long enough. I actually tried explaining it to them, but they told me that there are some issues with that.
    Issues with what, and what are the issues?

    Do they call stores and see if they can CC there too?

  7. #7
    Regular Member Stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pasco, WA, ,
    Posts
    489
    Calling ahead prior to OC'ing in a store is like wiping before pooping.

    You just don't do it.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769
    With OC of a HANDGUN being illegal in TX, I am thinking they mean OC of a Long Gun. After all it is the Texas LongArm OC facebook page.
    But, you still DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Trigger Dr; 08-30-2013 at 09:34 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    897
    I don't ask for permission to exercise my rights. Period.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690

    Pubs, ask the right question

    If you're going to visit pubs, taverns, etc. It's okay to call ahead to check the AGE restrictions. If they are ALL ages then it's implied that carry is okay and legal.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  11. #11
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522
    Momma always said, stupid is...
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  12. #12
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Calling ahead prior to OC'ing in a store is like wiping before pooping.

    You just don't do it.
    You don't????
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  13. #13
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I think part of the problem that we face is that some gun owners insist on treating the gun and the 2nd Amendment differently than other lawfully possessed objects and rights.
    What really confuses people is that they see the 2nd Amendment as a restriction against ALL entities from restricting firearms, not just a restriction on Government.

    They never learned or will accept that private entities can still exclude them from private property. Like it or not, Credit Unions and Banks are still "Private Property".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  14. #14
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,329

    Calling businesses before OCing.

    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    What really confuses people is that they see the 2nd Amendment as a restriction against ALL entities from restricting firearms, not just a restriction on Government.

    They never learned or will accept that private entities can still exclude them from private property. Like it or not, Credit Unions and Banks are still "Private Property".
    Read the declaration of independence.

    "That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men"

    Does that say government exists to protect our rights from government intrusion? No it says that they are to SECURE our rights. Who do they need to secure them from? Surely not themselves, for they would be a house divided against itself. We all know that a house divided against itself cannot stand.

    To think that government exists to protect us from the government sounds a bit ridiculous. Surely it would be simpler to just not have a government so that it could not usurp our rights.

    As it stands right now our government is not doing its job and perhaps someday soon it will be time to throw off the shackles of that oppressive institution.

    And think about it. Are we allowed to discriminate based on religion on our private property? Not really, that would land you a civil rights violation. Clearly our rights are protected by our government from private entities, even from the individual. Holder wants to prosecute Zimmerman for crying out loud. He just doesn't have the evidence to make a case.

    Our government is just in the habit of infringing the right that we care so much for rather than protecting it, because they are afraid of us. And they should be because they are not serving the people as they should be.

    And just to add to the rant, I'm so sick of morons (mostly media and those that repeat their garbage) calling our elected servants "our leaders." They couldn't lead lemmings off a cliff!
    Last edited by tombrewster421; 08-31-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kelso, Washington, USA
    Posts
    258
    Glad I wasn't the only one here thinking that it was idiotic! And to answer a previous question: They just told me that it wouldn't bring alarm to anyone, and make the job of marking "Non Friendly/Friendly stores" easier.

  16. #16
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
    Glad I wasn't the only one here thinking that it was idiotic! And to answer a previous question: They just told me that it wouldn't bring alarm to anyone, and make the job of marking "Non Friendly/Friendly stores" easier.
    And of course one could be assured that one was speaking to THE person in charge, and that the question itself wouldn't cause an otherwise non-objecting person to think things like "Maybe I should check with my lawyer/post, because (insert ridiculous reasons here)...".

    Idiotic approach, totally idiotic.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Mainsail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,532
    "Hello, I'll be shopping in your store later and I was wondering if wearing a wristwatch would be all right."
    "Uh....what?"
    "I just want to make sure you won't have a problem if I come in wearing a watch on my wrist."
    "Uh.....what?"

  18. #18
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
    "Hello, I'll be shopping in your store later and I was wondering if wearing a wristwatch would be all right."
    "Uh....what?"
    "I just want to make sure you won't have a problem if I come in wearing a watch on my wrist."
    "Uh.....what?"
    "Sir, don't be silly! Nobody (except that golddigger guy) wears a wristwatch any more! Just use your cell phone, duh! If you do have a watch it must be concealed by long sleeves. BTW we will be posting some new stickers in our window from Mayor McGoober as a watch free zone."
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  19. #19
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
    Glad I wasn't the only one here thinking that it was idiotic! And to answer a previous question: They just told me that it wouldn't bring alarm to anyone, and make the job of marking "Non Friendly/Friendly stores" easier.
    I know we are talking about TX, so the normal OC of a handgun is not a regular option there. I also know OCDO wishes us to refrain from regular OC of long guns, but with TX there really isn't another option is there? Personally I can see why they might consider calling ahead as TX does NOT have a tradition of OC as we do, but I would never do so in OR, WA or ID. (the three states I frequent the most)

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Can you OC in Texas in a business with the owner's express permission?

    You can OC on your own property, and on other private property with permission.

    Perhaps this is why this is being done by some in Texas.

    But, as mentioned, it should absolutely not be something normal anywhere where not required!

    OC should be treated as normal every which way we can.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  21. #21
    Regular Member jt59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central South Sound
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    Read the declaration of independence.

    "That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men"

    Does that say government exists to protect our rights from government intrusion? No it says that they are to SECURE our rights. Who do they need to secure them from? Surely not themselves, for they would be a house divided against itself. We all know that a house divided against itself cannot stand.

    To think that government exists to protect us from the government sounds a bit ridiculous. Surely it would be simpler to just not have a government so that it could not usurp our rights.

    As it stands right now our government is not doing its job and perhaps someday soon it will be time to throw off the shackles of that oppressive institution.

    And think about it. Are we allowed to discriminate based on religion on our private property? Not really, that would land you a civil rights violation. Clearly our rights are protected by our government from private entities, even from the individual. Holder wants to prosecute Zimmerman for crying out loud. He just doesn't have the evidence to make a case

    Our government is just in the habit of infringing the right that we care so much for rather than protecting it, because they are afraid of us. And they should be because they are not serving the people as they should be.

    And just to add to the rant, I'm so sick of morons (mostly media and those that repeat their garbage) calling our elected servants "our leaders." They couldn't lead lemmings off a cliff!
    Good Rant!..... but I may actually disagree with your last statement.... It seems that they are doing a pretty good job!

    It gave me an old memory... Some of us are old enough to remember Schmoo's from the Lil Abner era..

    Shmoos, introduced in 1948, were fabulous creatures that bred exponentially, consumed nothing, and eagerly provided everything that humankind could wish for. Besides producing both milk (bottled, grade A) and eggs (neatly packaged), they tasted like pork when roasted, chicken when fried, and steak when broiled. Ironically, the shmoo's generous nature and incredible usefulness made it a threat to capitalism, to western society and perhaps to civilization itself.[25] Li'l Abner featured a whole menagerie of allegorical animals over the years — each one was designed to satirically showcase another disturbing aspect of human nature. They included:

    Kigmies — Masochistic, aboriginal creatures who loved to be kicked, thereby satisfying all human aggression... up to a point, after which they went on a rampage of retaliation. (The Kigmy story was originally fashioned as a metaphor for racial and religious oppression. Capp's surviving preliminary sketches of the kigmies make this apparent, as detailed in the introductory notes to Li'l Abner Dailies 1949: Volume 15, Kitchen Sink Press, 1992).

    The Money Ha-Ha — An alien creature from "Planet Pincus No. 2," with ears shaped like taxi horns. It laid U.S. currency in place of eggs.

    The Flapaloo — A scrawny, prehistoric bird that lays 1,000 eggs per minute. The eggs, when dissolved, turn water into gasoline. The Oil industry captures the last one in existence — and mercilessly wrings its neck!

    ...and the most important one:

    The Bald Iggle — A cute little wide-eyed, guileless creature whose soulful gaze compelled everyone to involuntarily tell the truth — including lawyers, politicians, fishermen, advertisers, husbands, wives and used car salesmen. The Iggle was officially declared a public menace by the FBI ("The life it ruins may be your own!"), and ultimately hunted down, confiscated and exterminated.

    All introduced in 1948.... nothing ever changes.........65 years, and nothing ever changes...Schmoos are the modern day promise of the liberal left, and gov't provision...and well, I won't start on my rant
    Last edited by jt59; 09-02-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

  22. #22
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,329

    Calling businesses before OCing.

    Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    Good Rant!..... but I may actually disagree with your last statement.... It seems that they are doing a pretty good job!
    Maybe lemmings are smarter than half the human population.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •