• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calling businesses before OCing.

tannerwaterbury

So, I recently was added by a friend to the Texas Longarm OC Facebook page, and recently their thing has been to call businesses ahead of time and ask to see if it was alright to OC at their stores. Now, the main issue I have with this is that it MAY preemptively cause stores and corporations to say no, thereby restricting our places to go in terms of shopping whilst exercising our rights. Am I the ONLY person that finds this to be a deterrent to OC? I would much rather strap my gun on my hip, and go in without having to ask the manager or whathaveyou before purchasing what I need, and if they ask me first to hide the gun or put it away in the car, THEN I avoid the business.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
That's almost as bad as the guy who wanted to call the police prior to going shopping while OC.
Store: Hi may I help you?
Me: Yes, it it OK if I come to your store while doing nothing illegal?
Store: Uh, I guess that would be OK?

Me now shouting: DO NOT CALL STORES AHEAD OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rant complete

Just to add, the post mentions TX, so at least for now, no OC is allowed anywhere in TX (except at home/business I believe).

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
So, I recently was added by a friend to the Texas Longarm OC Facebook page, and recently their thing has been to call businesses ahead of time and ask to see if it was alright to OC at their stores. Now, the main issue I have with this is that it MAY preemptively cause stores and corporations to say no, thereby restricting our places to go in terms of shopping whilst exercising our rights. Am I the ONLY person that finds this to be a deterrent to OC? I would much rather strap my gun on my hip, and go in without having to ask the manager or whathaveyou before purchasing what I need, and if they ask me first to hide the gun or put it away in the car, THEN I avoid the business.

I agree with you. If we are to normalize the legal open carry of firearms, then there is no need to call a business before entering. If you enter and there's no confrontation, you're good to go. If there is, then you know not to patronize them in the future and you can then post them as anti-gun on the appropriate website. You can also work with them to see if you can get them to change their mind.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
(my bold above)

You haven't been here long, have you? The answer is H@LL NO, you're not the only one to recognize it. On the other hand, someone clearly needs to edumacate those peeps at TX Longarm OC - so get to it!

So, open carry in places where you're clearly not prohibited, if and until you're asked to leave. Then, leave, disarm, and if you think it would be productive, go back and calmly and persuasively talk to the manager, or write a well-written letter to someone else up the food chain about how disappointed you are to no longer be able to patronize their establishment.

Last edited:

tannerwaterbury

(my bold above)

You haven't been here long, have you? The answer is H@LL NO, you're not the only one to recognize it. On the other hand, someone clearly needs to edumacate those peeps at TX Longarm OC - so get to it!

So, open carry in places where you're clearly not prohibited, if and until you're asked to leave. Then, leave, disarm, and if you think it would be productive, go back and calmly and persuasively talk to the manager, or write a well-written letter to someone else up the food chain about how disappointed you are to no longer be able to patronize their establishment.

Well I think 4 years is long enough. I actually tried explaining it to them, but they told me that there are some issues with that.

Trigger Dr

With OC of a HANDGUN being illegal in TX, I am thinking they mean OC of a Long Gun. After all it is the Texas LongArm OC facebook page.
But, you still DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Pubs, ask the right question

If you're going to visit pubs, taverns, etc. It's okay to call ahead to check the AGE restrictions. If they are ALL ages then it's implied that carry is okay and legal.

amlevin

I think part of the problem that we face is that some gun owners insist on treating the gun and the 2nd Amendment differently than other lawfully possessed objects and rights.

What really confuses people is that they see the 2nd Amendment as a restriction against ALL entities from restricting firearms, not just a restriction on Government.

They never learned or will accept that private entities can still exclude them from private property. Like it or not, Credit Unions and Banks are still "Private Property".

tombrewster421

What really confuses people is that they see the 2nd Amendment as a restriction against ALL entities from restricting firearms, not just a restriction on Government.

They never learned or will accept that private entities can still exclude them from private property. Like it or not, Credit Unions and Banks are still "Private Property".

Read the declaration of independence.

"That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men"

Does that say government exists to protect our rights from government intrusion? No it says that they are to SECURE our rights. Who do they need to secure them from? Surely not themselves, for they would be a house divided against itself. We all know that a house divided against itself cannot stand.

To think that government exists to protect us from the government sounds a bit ridiculous. Surely it would be simpler to just not have a government so that it could not usurp our rights.

As it stands right now our government is not doing its job and perhaps someday soon it will be time to throw off the shackles of that oppressive institution.

And think about it. Are we allowed to discriminate based on religion on our private property? Not really, that would land you a civil rights violation. Clearly our rights are protected by our government from private entities, even from the individual. Holder wants to prosecute Zimmerman for crying out loud. He just doesn't have the evidence to make a case.

Our government is just in the habit of infringing the right that we care so much for rather than protecting it, because they are afraid of us. And they should be because they are not serving the people as they should be.

And just to add to the rant, I'm so sick of morons (mostly media and those that repeat their garbage) calling our elected servants "our leaders." They couldn't lead lemmings off a cliff!

Last edited:

tannerwaterbury

Glad I wasn't the only one here thinking that it was idiotic! And to answer a previous question: They just told me that it wouldn't bring alarm to anyone, and make the job of marking "Non Friendly/Friendly stores" easier.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Glad I wasn't the only one here thinking that it was idiotic! And to answer a previous question: They just told me that it wouldn't bring alarm to anyone, and make the job of marking "Non Friendly/Friendly stores" easier.
And of course one could be assured that one was speaking to THE person in charge, and that the question itself wouldn't cause an otherwise non-objecting person to think things like "Maybe I should check with my lawyer/post, because (insert ridiculous reasons here)...".

Idiotic approach, totally idiotic.

Mainsail

"Hello, I'll be shopping in your store later and I was wondering if wearing a wristwatch would be all right."
"Uh....what?"
"I just want to make sure you won't have a problem if I come in wearing a watch on my wrist."
"Uh.....what?"

golddigger14s

Activist Member
"Hello, I'll be shopping in your store later and I was wondering if wearing a wristwatch would be all right."
"Uh....what?"
"I just want to make sure you won't have a problem if I come in wearing a watch on my wrist."
"Uh.....what?"

"Sir, don't be silly! Nobody (except that golddigger guy) wears a wristwatch any more! Just use your cell phone, duh! If you do have a watch it must be concealed by long sleeves. BTW we will be posting some new stickers in our window from Mayor McGoober as a watch free zone."

hermannr

I know we are talking about TX, so the normal OC of a handgun is not a regular option there. I also know OCDO wishes us to refrain from regular OC of long guns, but with TX there really isn't another option is there? Personally I can see why they might consider calling ahead as TX does NOT have a tradition of OC as we do, but I would never do so in OR, WA or ID. (the three states I frequent the most)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Can you OC in Texas in a business with the owner's express permission?

You can OC on your own property, and on other private property with permission.

Perhaps this is why this is being done by some in Texas.

But, as mentioned, it should absolutely not be something normal anywhere where not required!

OC should be treated as normal every which way we can.