• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calling businesses before OCing.

jt59

Read the declaration of independence.

"That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men"

Does that say government exists to protect our rights from government intrusion? No it says that they are to SECURE our rights. Who do they need to secure them from? Surely not themselves, for they would be a house divided against itself. We all know that a house divided against itself cannot stand.

To think that government exists to protect us from the government sounds a bit ridiculous. Surely it would be simpler to just not have a government so that it could not usurp our rights.

As it stands right now our government is not doing its job and perhaps someday soon it will be time to throw off the shackles of that oppressive institution.

And think about it. Are we allowed to discriminate based on religion on our private property? Not really, that would land you a civil rights violation. Clearly our rights are protected by our government from private entities, even from the individual. Holder wants to prosecute Zimmerman for crying out loud. He just doesn't have the evidence to make a case

Our government is just in the habit of infringing the right that we care so much for rather than protecting it, because they are afraid of us. And they should be because they are not serving the people as they should be.

And just to add to the rant, I'm so sick of morons (mostly media and those that repeat their garbage) calling our elected servants "our leaders." They couldn't lead lemmings off a cliff!

Good Rant!..... but I may actually disagree with your last statement.... It seems that they are doing a pretty good job!

It gave me an old memory... Some of us are old enough to remember Schmoo's from the Lil Abner era..

Shmoos, introduced in 1948, were fabulous creatures that bred exponentially, consumed nothing, and eagerly provided everything that humankind could wish for. Besides producing both milk (bottled, grade A) and eggs (neatly packaged), they tasted like pork when roasted, chicken when fried, and steak when broiled. Ironically, the shmoo's generous nature and incredible usefulness made it a threat to capitalism, to western society and perhaps to civilization itself.[25] Li'l Abner featured a whole menagerie of allegorical animals over the years — each one was designed to satirically showcase another disturbing aspect of human nature. They included:

Kigmies — Masochistic, aboriginal creatures who loved to be kicked, thereby satisfying all human aggression... up to a point, after which they went on a rampage of retaliation. (The Kigmy story was originally fashioned as a metaphor for racial and religious oppression. Capp's surviving preliminary sketches of the kigmies make this apparent, as detailed in the introductory notes to Li'l Abner Dailies 1949: Volume 15, Kitchen Sink Press, 1992).

The Money Ha-Ha — An alien creature from "Planet Pincus No. 2," with ears shaped like taxi horns. It laid U.S. currency in place of eggs.

The Flapaloo — A scrawny, prehistoric bird that lays 1,000 eggs per minute. The eggs, when dissolved, turn water into gasoline. The Oil industry captures the last one in existence — and mercilessly wrings its neck!

...and the most important one:

The Bald Iggle — A cute little wide-eyed, guileless creature whose soulful gaze compelled everyone to involuntarily tell the truth — including lawyers, politicians, fishermen, advertisers, husbands, wives and used car salesmen. The Iggle was officially declared a public menace by the FBI ("The life it ruins may be your own!"), and ultimately hunted down, confiscated and exterminated.

All introduced in 1948.... nothing ever changes.........65 years, and nothing ever changes...Schmoos are the modern day promise of the liberal left, and gov't provision...and well, I won't start on my rant :)

Last edited: