Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Racine man indicted on federal pipe gun charges. Spud guns next?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161

    Racine man indicted on federal pipe gun charges. Spud guns next?

    The guns were described as "slam-type weapons," each consisting of two sections of metal pipe, one of which would slide into the other. The wider pipe had an end cap through which a metal screw extended into the pipe to act as a firing pin. As it contacted the primer, it expelled the ammunition from the gun when the pipes were pushed together.

    http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/r...221817111.html
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839
    ...
    Q: Is it legal to assemble a firearm from commercially available parts kits that can be purchased via internet or shotgun news?
    For your information, per provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, an unlicensed individual may make a “firearm” as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution.
    The GCA, 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3), defines the term “firearm” to include the following:
    … (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may be readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive: (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.
    Last edited by Interceptor_Knight; 08-31-2013 at 12:02 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    Q: Is it legal to assemble a firearm from commercially available parts kits that can be purchased via internet or shotgun news?
    For your information, per provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, an unlicensed individual may make a “firearm” as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution.
    The GCA, 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3), defines the term “firearm” to include the following:
    … (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may be readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive: (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.
    That's an understandable charge. But what about the other charges of "illegally making firearms, possessing an unregistered firearm"?

    If it's legal to make a firearm how is it illegal to make a firearm? And what's this registration they're talking about? Did those pipe guns fall under the AOW law? The story doesn't explain.
    Last edited by pkbites; 08-31-2013 at 02:44 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    That's an understandable charge. But what about the other charges of "illegally making firearms, possessing an unregistered firearm"?

    If it's legal to make a firearm how is it illegal to make a firearm? And what's this registration they're talking about? Did those pipe guns fall under the AOW law? The story doesn't explain.
    It is likely that they are not 26" in total length and perhaps even shorter than 18" as required for just the "barrel" with a smooth bore.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    That's an understandable charge. But what about the other charges of "illegally making firearms, possessing an unregistered firearm"?

    If it's legal to make a firearm how is it illegal to make a firearm? And what's this registration they're talking about? Did those pipe guns fall under the AOW law? The story doesn't explain.
    I can't comment on the "possessing an unregistered firearm"....but actually *selling* the guns he made, and "making them for sale" are 2 different acts.

    Put in different terms...say someone has a small amount of weed packaged into smaller amounts, and he's busted after having sold one to a UC LEO. He'd be charged with distribution, possession with intent, yadda yadda.
    - What da hay?

    Keep Calm and Carry On

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post

    If it's legal to make a firearm how is it illegal to make a firearm? .
    Ask you local representative .. he/she should be able to explain it to you (oh, it won't make any sense)

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Ask you local representative .. he/she should be able to explain it to you (oh, it won't make any sense)
    If your representative is Gwendolyn Moore (4 -D), Wisconsin's representative from the last ComIntern, she'll lie. Hmmm, 4th district, ...
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •