• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

8/2013 Bucks County Non-resident LTCF Still Issues

CT Barfly

Bucks County WILL issue to non-residents. The cost is $24, takes about 30mins and you are on your way with card in hand.

They will NOT issue to NY residents with restricted permits and they believe that the PA counties that do so are violating statute.

All you need is home-state permit, money, 2-page application form.:banana:

Curmudgeon

Wat? The cost is $20, by statute. Charging more than that is outside the law.

Cite:
[h=1]18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses[/h]
(h) Fee.--
(1) In addition to fees described in paragraphs (2)(ii) and (3), the fee for a license to carry a firearm is $19. This includes all of the following:
(i) A renewal notice processing fee of $1.50.
(ii) An administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the act of July 6, 1984 (P.L. 614, No. 127), [FN2] known as the Sheriff Fee Act.

(3) An additional fee of $1 shall be paid by the applicant for a license to carry a firearm and shall be remitted by the sheriff to the Firearms License Validation System Account, which is hereby established as a special restricted receipt account within the General Fund of the State Treasury. The account shall be used for purposes under subsection (l). Moneys credited to the account and any investment income accrued are hereby appropriated on a continuing basis to the Pennsylvania State Police.
(4) No fee other than that provided by this subsection or the Sheriff Fee Act may be assessed by the sheriff for the performance of any background check made pursuant to this act.
(5) The fee is payable to the sheriff to whom the application is submitted and is payable at the time of application for the license.
(6) Except for the administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the Sheriff Fee Act, all other fees shall be refunded if the application is denied but shall not be refunded if a license is issued and subsequently revoked.
(7) A person who sells or attempts to sell a license to carry a firearm for a fee in excess of the amounts fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

I communicated what they told me.

What they told you was incorrect. Please let me know whether or not you or someone you
know was actually charged the incorrect amount within the past year or so. This was all
supposed to be corrected. A year or 2 ago many sheriff's offices were charging more than
allowed and it took a bit of work to get it all corrected.

Anyone can make a simple mistake over the phone (for example) and hopefully, upon actual
application and payment, the correct fee would be charged.

If someone was recently charged more than $20 we can follow up on that and get it corrected.

CT Barfly

What they told you was incorrect. Please let me know whether or not you or someone you
know was actually charged the incorrect amount within the past year or so. This was all
supposed to be corrected. A year or 2 ago many sheriff's offices were charging more than
allowed and it took a bit of work to get it all corrected.

Anyone can make a simple mistake over the phone (for example) and hopefully, upon actual
application and payment, the correct fee would be charged.

If someone was recently charged more than $20 we can follow up on that and get it corrected.

I can absolutely confirm that I or someone I know was overcharged within the past week.

Last edited:

CT Barfly

Curmudgeon

I believe the receipt was promptly crumpled and thrown in the garbage. Nevertheless, a quick glance at the sheriff's website reveals that the in-state cost is $19 plus $1 "state surcharge". The non-resident cost is $23 plus $1 "state surcharge".

http://www.buckscounty.org/government/rowofficers/sheriff/WeaponsPermit.aspx

I don't recall whether I ever got a receipt from the York County Sheriff, and if I did it is long gone as well, I just
thought I would ask. I have started a thread at PAFOA to see if anyone else has had a similar experience at Bucks
or any other county in PA. I am not aware of any allowance in the UFA for the additional $4 charge but I may
have missed it.

A couple years ago some sheriffs were charging pretty much whatever they wanted, and PAFOA user IronSight did
a lot of work to that corrected, so I'm curious to see where this leads.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/229970-bucks-co-sheriff-overcharging-ltcf.html#post2493681

Curmudgeon

Here is a question that has developed: Was the license picked up in person or was it mailed out? The point being that a possible certified mail could be responsible for the additional fee.

CT Barfly

Well, the law has recently changed to require in-person application...so applicants MUST show in person. They happen to process "while-u-wait" and it takes about a half hour.

Curmudgeon

Some counties seem unable to pull that off. In some cases they allow applicants to mail in or bring in the app,
then maybe a couple days later they mail out a card saying the license is ready and you go back and pick it up.
Pretty inconvenient for out-of-state applicants. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a case of the license
itself being mailed out.

I got that question answered when I went back and re-read your OP. We really haven't
been able to come up with a viable reason for the different charges between resident and non-resident.
If your references weren't contacted within that 30 minute period they can't even make a case for the
added cost of long-distance phone calls.

Curmudgeon

Hey, CT Barfly... lookee what I found...

:banana:

I was poking around looking for an email address for the Bucks county Sheriff, and I noticed they have updated their web page
as shown by the screen capture above.

Coincidence? :lol:

I am glad to see the fee schedule consistent with my understanding of the PA UFA. Maybe somebody is "watching"?
Without knowing what was behind the $4 increase I will give the Sheriff's Dept the benefit of the doubt and say "well done".
They saved me the cost of a stamp!