• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DUI Checkpoints

The Big Guy

franco0341

After-Action Report

At Flamingo/Boulder hwy...They were late in setting up their search/seizure funnel, kicked off close to 8 pm. I was there until 9:05. They left a U Turn lane open, however, they were pulling over drivers for not using their blinkers on the U Turn. I of course used the U Turn and my blinker, no LEO contact. :banana:

stealthyeliminator

What will your sign say? If was going to be out there, depending on what mood I was in, I'd either have a sign that said "Warning - police state ahead" to ridicule them, or I'd have a sign that said "don't waive your rights, use the u-turn!" to encourage people to go a different way instead of waiving their rights.

I watched an episode of, I think Dog the Bounty Hunter, where they "helped" (??) at a "fake" DUI checkpoint. As you pointed out, even though the turn around "opportunity" is supposed to be their "escape" from being in violation of people's right against unwarranted searches/seizures (right?) they often end up using that, too, against the people and try to target those who do turn around as opposed to going through the checkpoint. This tactic was highlighted, praised really, in the Dog the Bounty Hunter episode, where they actually didn't even have a DUI checkpoint at all, just a sign that said DUI checkpoint ahead. They staked out near the sign, and watched and waited for people to turn off right after seeing the sign.

DooFster

You'll want to be careful using U-turns at checkpoints... I did it once, and was pulled over on grounds of RAS for being drunk. Some LEOs have been known for blocking alternate routes as well, forcing you into the checkpoint.

JoeSparky

Centurion
You'll want to be careful using U-turns at checkpoints... I did it once, and was pulled over on grounds of RAS for being drunk. Some LEOs have been known for blocking alternate routes as well, forcing you into the checkpoint.

Sample testimony of officer in court:

"Yes, the driver VOLUNTARILY entered the DUI checkpoint because he didn't have a choice as we were blocking ALL AVENUES OF ESCAPE!"

Or, "The driver attempted to elude and escape from the DUI checkpoint because he made a lawful u-turn so that gave us RAS for POSSIBLE DUI!"

Please note that the above two FABRICATED quotes are absolutely dripping with SARCASM!

I don't really care that the courts have ruled that these police actions are Constitutional on the basis of "minimal interruption" as a WARRANT LESS stop without ANY RAS IS A VIOLATION OF MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!

Yard Sale

Usually, northern Nevada LE agencies set up roadblocks for southbound Pyramid Hwy. traffic on Labor Day weekends, to seize Burning Man participants and Pyramid lake boaters along with many other travelers. Not this year. No roadblock for you!

soup-nazi.jpg

I regularly search YouTube for "DUI checkpoint" to protect my I.P. and quash any pirated re-uploads of my videos. I've noticed a marked increase in videos of drivers asserting their rights and refusing to answer questions. Not to mention roadside protesters such as the OP.

Last edited: