• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

credit union calls my home after oc

elkjunkie

Stopped at fibre credit union in longview to make a loan payment today. I was oc and wish I had flyers. Far more intetest in my springfield than usual. Perhaps its because I haven't shaved for a few due to the approaching elk season.
Got the "you're a cop"....no
"You're undercover".....really
"Why"
Well why not? It is my right. It is legal. I feel it is a good idea. Both of the credit unions I go to have been robbed as well as the minute mart I stop in frequently. Friendly conversation I really thought nothing of it.

When I got home the phone was ringing. The branch manager was calling to inform me that it is illegal to carry in financial institutions. I politely informed her that there exists no such law and asked if the credit union had a policy against firearms. She ignored my question and insisted it was against the law and that she would "appreciate"my "help."

I didn't call the main branch but opted for a letter to the board

Dear boardmembers

My name is Ryan xxxxxxx and I have been a member for a number of years. I was very taken back today after receiving a call from the branch manager at 32nd complaining about me carrying my sidearm.
I stopped in the branch and made a loan payment today with a pistol holstered on my waist. I exchanged pleasant conversation with another member about our states policy on the right to openly carry firearms.
I went about my business, made my payment and left without incident.
It was my understanding that the policy of this credit union was to follow our state law with reguard to the carrying of firearms. If this is not the case could you please provide me with the current policy?
The manager at the 32nd avenue branch was incorrect in her belief that firearms are prohibited in financial institutions. Banks and credit unions are federally insured not federal property and do not fall under any section of R.C.W. areas prohibited from the carrying of firearms.
If I have violated a credit union policy you have my apologies. If no such policy exists I would appreciate the manager be informed at the branch on 32nd where I have openly carried my sidearm while banking for years.
Sincerely
Ryan xxxxxx

golddigger14s

Activist Member
She is definitely full of it, like the employee at a gift shop who told me carrying at all in Ocean Shores is in violation of OS ordinances. I posted on their FB page about the incident, and the owner quickly corrected the employees. Managers think that since they are the "authority" figure that they can spout whatever comes to their holophobic little minds to suit their needs. Most people will except their rubbish, and leave it there.

We as a group need to keep on top of these situations as you have, and not let it slide. The important thing is to be very professional in our responses, so they have no misconception that "we" are not the knuckle dragging baby killers the media sometimes portrays us.

kparker

I like the "Is there a situation that needs responding to?" reply. Doesn't commit you to an answer--you're being coy/clever rather than dishonest, PLUS very importantly completely throws out the questioner's probable original assumption and focusses them on a completely different aspect.

jt59

I used to respond with "I can be almost anything you want me to be" :) That usually made them think until I was done and gone.

When asked "are you police", depending on my mood , I say "Well, I really shouldn't talk about my job, but since you asked, under state law and the state constitution, I'm required to carry a firearm.".....same effect...

509rifas

When asked "are you police", depending on my mood , I say "Well, I really shouldn't talk about my job, but since you asked, under state law and the state constitution, I'm required to carry a firearm.".....same effect...

I'd be careful with statements that some idiot is going to repeat as "he said he was a cop or something." Remember the human capacity for stupidity is just as vast as all our other capabilities.

PALO

I'd be careful with statements that some idiot is going to repeat as "he said he was a cop or something." Remember the human capacity for stupidity is just as vast as all our other capabilities.

In WA state, it is not illegal to

1) say you are a cop
2) dress in a uniform like a cop

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.60.045
Our statute says you must

1) claim to be a police officer or create that impression

AND

2) does an act with intent to convey the impression that he or she is acting in an official capacity and a reasonable person would believe the person is a law enforcement officer

The question becomes "what is an ACT"? In this statute. Based on what I have gleaned from case law, prosecutors and cops, it means some action like pat frisking somebody, demanding to see their license, making a vehicle stop with blue lights etc (which is several other charges as well), yelling "halt police" to somebody

Pretty common sense stuff. So, merely looking like a cop, dressing like one, and claiming to be one is legal in WA.

Last edited:

Fibresteve

Elkjunkie, the Fibre branch in Woodland pulled the same thing on me a few months back after their rent a cop said I was scaring the other customers. Funny thing is that none of the other customers even noticed I was OC until he mentioned it. After I put my firearm in my car per their request they tried telling me the same BS that it is illegal to carry a gun in a financial institution. I asked them to show me the law and they couldn't. Anyway not long after I closed my accounts there and took my business to Red Canoe CU. They are OC friendly and I have never had a problem at multiple locations. Have actually had a good pro 2A conversation with one if the tellers at the branch in Kelso.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Why wouldn't you prefer to unambiguously eliminate any notion they might have that you're a cop? One thing I like about OC is the opportunity to show the average citizenry being armed. It quite destroys that to "allow" someone to believe you're a cop.

DocWalker

In WA state, it is not illegal to

1) say you are a cop
2) dress in a uniform like a cop

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.60.045
Our statute says you must

1) claim to be a police officer or create that impression

AND

2) does an act with intent to convey the impression that he or she is acting in an official capacity and a reasonable person would believe the person is a law enforcement officer

The question becomes "what is an ACT"? In this statute. Based on what I have gleaned from case law, prosecutors and cops, it means some action like pat frisking somebody, demanding to see their license, making a vehicle stop with blue lights etc (which is several other charges as well), yelling "halt police" to somebody

Pretty common sense stuff. So, merely looking like a cop, dressing like one, and claiming to be one is legal in WA.

That will be a relief to all those strippers out there that wear cop outfits at the start of their show......

DocWalker

Why wouldn't you prefer to unambiguously eliminate any notion they might have that you're a cop? One thing I like about OC is the opportunity to show the average citizenry being armed. It quite destroys that to "allow" someone to believe you're a cop.

I agree with marshal on this one, this is a good opportunity to have a teaching moment.

EtdBob

I was asked the very same thing at the Global credit union at Shadle.

I think it was last Friday. The place was packed, and someone tapped me on the shoulder. When I turned, they popped the question.
I said "No, I'm an engineer!" The feller then said "Good", and went about his business.

Then some other feller in line piped up and asked "Isn't it illegal to carry in a bank?"
I replied that it's up to the owners of the bank, same as any private property.

Walking about Spokane armed I've been thanked several times for open carrying, can you believe it?