• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wright-Patt Credit Union

Troy bilt

I like the idea of a gun friendly bank list. I would also like to put together some other facts that may help changing the minds of these places that post.

How many CHL holders are out there? Over 300,000 48,000 new this year.

How many new CHL holders over the past year? At the end of last year 17,396 that 30,636 new CHL this year.

1 out of every 25 adults has a CHL

Does this sound correct? Any more ideas to add to a list of reasons to change polices?

Guns left in vehicles get stollen and end up in the hands of crooks. How many per year(s)?

List of banks so far

Kemba Credit Union
PNC
Applecreek
Strausburg Savings
Chase
Brewster Credit Union
Park National
Vinton County National Bank

It looks like some Huntington's post and some do not.

I have a family member that works at Erie County Credit Union and was robbed at gun point. They shot off a shotgun in the bank. From what she told be they are no longer posted because of this but she is checking today to be 100%. I will add it to the list when she does.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

The signage only applies to the Concealed Carry. Why not just open carry.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion since the text of the sign wasn't posted. In my case, the signage on the door of First Merit is quite clear and unmistakeable - no firearms without prior approval of their security department. It is a rare sign in my experience that specifies no concealed firearms. Of course, even if it did, their intent is pretty clear and you'd likely be asked to leave if they noticed it.

MyWifeSaidYes

There are over 300,000 active CHL holders in Ohio. The 48,032 is for a single year.

A sign posted by a private entity DOES apply to open and concealed unless it says otherwise.

A public entity, with few exceptions, has no state authority to restrict open carry. That's why their signs do not apply to open carry.

Troy bilt

There are over 300,000 active CHL holders in Ohio. The 48,032 is for a single year.

A sign posted by a private entity DOES apply to open and concealed unless it says otherwise.

A public entity, with few exceptions, has no state authority to restrict open carry. That's why their signs do not apply to open carry.

Edited post. Thank you.

Maverick9

What would be hilarious is to get some construction worker type guys to come in with various pieces of equipment, like a mini-chain saw, a nail gun, various linoleum knives, crowbars, blow torches and have them come into a bank.

I doubt if anyone would say a thing. Yet have some dude come in with a holstered gun not wearing a blue uniform and people just lose their common sense.

If there was a convention of OC-ers and 30 of them walked into a bank do you mean to tell me people would be afraid? No. It's just the idea of a 'lone wolf' armed and not badged that makes people nervous. It's weird. Can't say I understand why they would care, especially if you had an account there and they knew you.

eye95

About two hours ago, I visited the same manager and informed her that, since they had not even contacted me on the issue, I was yanking all of my money (except for $5 to keep up my membership so I could keep fighting this issue) and had the manager do the transaction. About thirty minutes later, while I was driving home from Security National Bank, I got a call from WPFCU telling me that they had not yet worked, but were going to work, the issue with the COO and the board.

Too late. I would love for them to finally work the issue, but I am gone for all time. Such poor customer service alone is reason enough to leave!

Anyway, no signs on the doors at Security National Bank in Enon. When I opened the account, the reason I was moving came up, and I told the lady that it was the gunbuster signs and the gunbusting policy that motivated me to move. She said that she had no idea what their policy was. I asked her not to ask, telling her that as long as there was no sign and I was not told not to carry, I'd just carry and not worry about it.

She asked anyway. :cuss: The manager said that lawful carry was allowed, period. :banana:

addictedkoala

Huntington banks in my area (Fairview, North Olmsted, Rocky River) aren't posted in my experience, although I've only physically been in two neither gave me any trouble nor did anyone even mention my pistol.

eye95

It seems that most banks are not posted. An impressive list has been posted in this thread. I chose Security National Bank because of how well they treated me with my mortgage.

I am putting my money in a bank that gives good customer service and that respects my rights.

Troy bilt

I sent a E-Mail off to the board chairman of Vacationland Federal Credit Union today. I will give them a few weeks to respond, and then I will be moving my banking needs to Erie County Federal Credit Union.

ECFCU changed it's no gun policy a few years back after they where robbed with a shotgun and the POS blasted one off in the bank.

eye95

Updated list of banks:

Go list:

Kemba Credit Union
PNC
Applecreek
Strausburg Savings
Chase
Brewster Credit Union
Park National
Erie County Credit Union
Security National (A division of Park National)

No Go list:

Wright-Patterson Credit Union

eye95

I just had a very unproductive conversation with the COO of WP Credit Union. He assured me that he personally agreed with me, but that the police told him that allowing carry increased the chance of gunfire in the bank.

Earlier in the conversation he said that he was not aware of any study like the one I had mentioned about most shootings happening in gun-free zones. I had to tell him that I mentioned no study, that I had simply ticked off the most recent mass shootings (Newtown, Aurora, VT, Fort Hood, etc.) and pointed out that mass shootings happen almost exclusively in GFZ. One need only look to them in the news to see this.

So, after he mentioned the cops telling him about the increased chance of shootings in the bank, I asked him if he told them that he was not aware of any studies. I asked if the police provided any studies or references to actual shootings (as I did), or whether they simply took the word of the police because they were the police.

This guy kept trying to turn the conversation to be about me instead of the issue at hand. Worse than a lack of respect for our rights, this man demonstrated HORRIBLE customer service.

When I am giving customer service, I want the conversation to be almost one way--from the customer to me. I want as much information from the customer as possible. I don't want to be the source of information until I am presenting alternatives to the customer to help him find an acceptable solution.

Sorry for the rant, but this person royally ticked me off.

How hard would it have been for him to say: "We will explore this issue. We will take input from you and anyone else who has relevant information. It seems we made this decision without full information, so we will gather the information revisit the issue"?

I suspect that arrogance stopped him from a useful response.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Troy bilt

Received an E-Mail from the chairman of the board. He said he will take this up with the board and that the next meeting will be on the 26th.

eye95

COO just called me back to express regret at how he handled the call. He said he will discuss how to proceed on the issue with the CEO and then get back with me. His experience is that members never get to attend board meetings or to address the board. I hope that this is not true or that they are willing to change the precedent. An organization so unwilling to hear from a member on such a fundamental issue cannot legitimately claim to be member-driven.

Idoncare

Add to go list

Updated list of banks:

Go list:

Kemba Credit Union
PNC
Applecreek
Strausburg Savings
Chase
Brewster Credit Union
Park National
Erie County Credit Union
Security National (A division of Park National)

No Go list:

Wright-Patterson Credit Union

Woodforest National Bank also does not post where I bank. (Newark, Ohio)

Chuck!

COO just called me back to express regret at how he handled the call. He said he will discuss how to proceed on the issue with the CEO and then get back with me. His experience is that members never get to attend board meetings or to address the board. I hope that this is not true or that they are willing to change the precedent. An organization so unwilling to hear from a member on such a fundamental issue cannot legitimately claim to be member-driven.

He doesn't want you to talk about his call to the board,,,,

eye95

He doesn't want you to talk about his call to the board,,,,

I think you are kidding, but...

I doubt that. He handled the follow-up call well. I don't care anymore about how badly he treated me in the first call. I only care that a "member-driven" organization doesn't care a whit about the fundamental rights of its members--and that they were completely unresponsive for two weeks--until I yanked my money. I had a nice little chunk of change in that account until I put the downpayment on this house. There was still a tidy sum in there afterward (that has grown considerably in its new home).

I know my withdrawal is not going to break them, but it should have caught their attention. It seems that it has.