• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone know if there is a public registry for police officers?

BadMoon Risin68

Troutdale lists their officers on their web page but does Oregon have a registry of officers that you can identify police officers by? Such as name, badge number, radio number, precinct location, active/retired, role, and a picture? I would expect BOEC to have this information however i'm sure its not free if they do provide it.

If these people can collect your license plate and your frequented locations without warrant I'd like to know who the perpetrators are since they are the ones that took an oath to uphold and defend the constitution, we should be able to have a database of them.

Calling all Oregon police officers name and badge number along with your business card.

Thanks for any information if found.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
The Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST) might have some of the information you're looking for. My understanding is that all cops in Oregon have to be certified through them.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Also, if Oregon has a Freedom of Information/Sunshine/Open Records law, it might be pretty simple to just request a muster sheet or roster. Maybe from Personnel.

You would just want to limit the information requested so they can't claim a personnel or privacy exemption. For example, just full name and badge number.

Also, the easier to print out or copy, the less it will cost you. Many open records laws allow the government agency to charge for the production and copying of the record(s) requested.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If the state has training records they will not be catagorized in the manner by which the OP likely desires the information.

They likely do not have "running list" of active cops.

The OP would have to request records going back 30 yrs, get a lot of records with a zillion names, and figure out who is active and who is not.

Instead, the open records act could be utilized and ask for records for every body that has POs .. like payroll records or something of that nature. This would be a better way.

You can ask a state agency for a list but they do not have to make one and they likely could not even if they would be willing to make one as the state agency does not maintain records that could produce such a list.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If the state has training records they will not be catagorized in the manner by which the OP likely desires the information.

They likely do not have "running list" of active cops.

The OP would have to request records going back 30 yrs, get a lot of records with a zillion names, and figure out who is active and who is not.

Instead, the open records act could be utilized and ask for records for every body that has POs .. like payroll records or something of that nature. This would be a better way.

You can ask a state agency for a list but they do not have to make one and they likely could not even if they would be willing to make one as the state agency does not maintain records that could produce such a list.

The state might not, but the localities will.

One of the fun aspects of Open Records (OR) requests is guessing which records might exist.

For example, if I wanted a list of all cops, I could send a records request to the commander of the PD asking for the roll call sheet for first shift, second shift, and third shift on a certain recent date. Then request the same thing for three days later to pick up any names that were off work for their two days a week or whatever.

I'll bet dispatch has the same thing, obliquely. For example, just find out when the shift starts, and make a records request for one hour after shift-start on a certain date. By that time, all or almost all of the cops of that shift will have logged into the system.

Last edited:

BadMoon Risin68

Thanks for everyone's response, I'll look into the records requests.

Is there a set fee on information or is it whatever the locality decides?