Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: disorderly? since when is drinking coffee disorderly?

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,321

    disorderly? since when is drinking coffee disorderly?

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...justifying-it/

    that chief is about to have a lesson on what disorderly is
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

  2. #2
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    Exercising a right reserved to you under the Texas Constitution. Trying to live within the parameters of Texas law, and you get a citation to appear in court to tell some judge that you have violated no law. Attorney fees $$$$ , lost time $$$$ from work for being a law-abiding citizen.

  3. #3
    Regular Member okiebryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Posts
    449
    That chief said that if anyone feels threatened, then that is disorderly conduct. His conduct makes me feel threatened far more than the guys having coffee. Who will arrest the chief?

  4. #4
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    I can't believe how ignorant some of our police officers are. Is there any reason to suspect it's stolen? I have no reason to believe it's not. WHAT? He has no understanding of his job, authority, or the rights of the citizens he is supposed to serve.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,321
    if someone is dressed like a thug and i am afraid can the police come arrest them?
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    I can't believe how ignorant some of our police officers are. Is there any reason to suspect it's stolen? I have no reason to believe it's not. WHAT? He has no understanding of his job, authority, or the rights of the citizens he is supposed to serve.
    That's why they hired him !

  7. #7
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Police eventually showed up after they received a call from a woman who claimed she was “freaked out” by the display of weapons.
    Must be someone visiting from CA.
    Surely that couldn't be a Texas citizen!

    Here's their DC statute, snipped to the parts which the police might try to claim apply.
    Sec. 42.01. Disorderly Conduct
    (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
    ...
    (2) makes an offensive gesture or display in a public place, and the gesture or display tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace
    ...
    (8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm
    Since there were plenty of people who reacted normally, I think it should be obvious that the one woman who was "freaked out" is strange & needs help, and the people having coffee were not committing DC.

    Notice one of the links to real news sources says that they were "carrying assault rifles"?
    Moron writer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  8. #8
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Must be someone visiting from CA.
    Surely that couldn't be a Texas citizen!

    Here's their DC statute, snipped to the parts which the police might try to claim apply.


    Since there were plenty of people who reacted normally, I think it should be obvious that the one woman who was "freaked out" is strange & needs help, and the people having coffee were not committing DC.

    Notice one of the links to real news sources says that they were "carrying assault rifles"?
    Moron writer.
    On the assault rifle bit, you could probably carry a shotgun with a pistol grip and it be reported as an assault rifle

  9. #9
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Must be someone visiting from CA.
    Surely that couldn't be a Texas citizen!

    Here's their DC statute, snipped to the parts which the police might try to claim apply.


    Since there were plenty of people who reacted normally, I think it should be obvious that the one woman who was "freaked out" is strange & needs help, and the people having coffee were not committing DC.

    Notice one of the links to real news sources says that they were "carrying assault rifles"?
    Moron writer.
    Per the relevant part of the statute, seems the State will have to PROVE that these calm, well spoken, polite, and friendly persons siting outside sipping a LAWFUL beverage while keeping their lawfully owned and possessed long guns/shotguns that weren't even loaded were doing so "in a manner calculated to cause alarm".

    Personally, based on the video---- I don't see it!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,321
    the open carriers should counter claim that they feared the officers with guns and ask that they be charged with disorderly.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    3,277
    How would the police responded had the three law abiding citizens refused to sign the bogus disorderly citation?

    This incident was a clear waste of taxpayer dollars.

    My .02

    CCJ

  12. #12
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    A citation for daring to exercise a right reserved to every citizen in Texas by their Constitution. Sad day in San Antone.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    A citation for daring to exercise a right reserved to every citizen in Texas by their Constitution. Sad day in San Antone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVZh4WcdC3s

    They freaked out .. alllright

  14. #14
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    You know this BS about someone " freaking out", or CHOOSING to be " alarmed" got me recalling how people were also " uncomfortable" ( and some even "freaking out") over desegregation in the 1950's, and 1960's. The LAW of the Land is indifferent to whether anyone is "uncomfortable, or freaked out " - as I recall.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    How would the police responded had the three law abiding citizens refused to sign the bogus disorderly citation?
    I don't know Texas law but in California signing a misdemeanor ticket is simply saying you will show up for your preset court date.

    If you don't sign the ticket then you are taken into custody. However, in this case I think it could have been a good idea to NOT sign the ticket because.....under CA law when you are taken into custody for a misdemeanor then Ca law says you must be taken before a judge within 48 hours. That means the police and DA would have to get a case together very quickly and present it to a judge in less than 48 hours.

    There is a very good chance that the so called witness who was "disturbed" wouldn't be available for a full interview and thus a very shaddy police report would be presented in court as evidence.

    All evidence presented by police and DA would be on record and would come back to haunt police if this went to trial.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    You know this BS about someone " freaking out", or CHOOSING to be " alarmed" got me recalling how people were also " uncomfortable" ( and some even "freaking out") over desegregation in the 1950's, and 1960's. The LAW of the Land is indifferent to whether anyone is "uncomfortable, or freaked out " - as I recall.
    I cannot MAKE anyone feel any particular emotion...that comes from inside the individual.

    I would guess that certain people would be scared with people who wear cat shirts.

    Hardly cause for an arrest. Meow.

  17. #17
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779

    Wi cases that may be of interest

    Arrested at Culvers while OCing.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/madi...e-s-no-problem

    Wisconsin citizens are legally allowed to carry firearms openly, Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen said in a memo to the state’s district attorneys Monday.
    http://badgerherald.com/news/2009/04...irearm_not.php

    Obstruction charges to be dropped in gun case but all five men will be cited
    Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/c...#ixzz2drDpVYX0

    Madison, WI prosecutors drop charges filed against gun rights activists after open carry incident
    http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7823

    Madison settles lawsuit brought by the 'Culver's Five' in open carry incident
    http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/ar...?article=35497
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Arrested at Culvers while OCing.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/madi...e-s-no-problem

    Wisconsin citizens are legally allowed to carry firearms openly, Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen said in a memo to the state’s district attorneys Monday.
    http://badgerherald.com/news/2009/04...irearm_not.php

    Obstruction charges to be dropped in gun case but all five men will be cited
    Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/c...#ixzz2drDpVYX0

    Madison, WI prosecutors drop charges filed against gun rights activists after open carry incident
    http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7823

    Madison settles lawsuit brought by the 'Culver's Five' in open carry incident
    http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/ar...?article=35497
    The Madison cases sound like: Ooops. Oooopsy. Ooopsa-daisy. Man, now we gotta pay. But 10K? At least 50K for that consolidated case...

  19. #19
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    The Madison cases sound like: Ooops. Oooopsy. Ooopsa-daisy. Man, now we gotta pay. But 10K? At least 50K for that consolidated case...
    This was not the first or last case. Baby steps. And it wasn't about the money according to the members here who were involved. Hoping our Texas brothers enjoy a similar outcome.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  20. #20
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222
    YouTube personality and NRA talking head, Mr Colion Noir posted a video today referring to the guys at the Starbucks "********" and "internet commandos".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xumlt4ULh8
    He plans to post another video tomorrow.
    This guy has thousands of people watching his videos on YouTube and an anti- open carry attack like this is something which should not be ignored.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  21. #21
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by sraacke View Post
    YouTube personality and NRA talking head, Mr Colion Noir posted a video today referring to the guys at the Starbucks "********" and "internet commandos".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xumlt4ULh8
    He plans to post another video tomorrow.
    This guy has thousands of people watching his videos on YouTube and an anti- open carry attack like this is something which should not be ignored.
    He said that he thought it was pretty ridiculous for them to get charged with disorderly conduct.

    The only fault I found with his video is the comment about the 2nd amendment not protecting your right to be a **. Well, no, that's actually one amendment up.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 09-03-2013 at 06:40 PM.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by sraacke View Post
    YouTube personality and NRA talking head, Mr Colion Noir posted a video today referring to the guys at the Starbucks "********" and "internet commandos".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xumlt4ULh8
    He plans to post another video tomorrow.
    This guy has thousands of people watching his videos on YouTube and an anti- open carry attack like this is something which should not be ignored.
    Plus, its not against the law to be a d**khead .... too bad cops. More people carry sks on precious san monica blvd the less issue it will be.

    Cops have to respect the laws just like we do...when they are they willing to address citizens who think "to heck with the law, the cops don't care!" because they'll see them sooner or later if they behave inappropriately.

  23. #23
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222
    Colion just posted his video response to the San Antonio Open Carry demonstration.
    At least this time he's not calling them ***holes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ReKdiIPlg
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  24. #24
    Regular Member Difdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    On the assault rifle bit, you could probably carry a shotgun with a pistol grip and it be reported as an assault rifle
    Perhaps put that pistol grip on a single-shot break-action shotgun, for added irony?

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    Perhaps put that pistol grip on a single-shot break-action shotgun, for added irony?
    There's nothing that can't be tacticooler.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •