Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't find a freakin holster.

I can't find a freakin holster.

This is driving me crazy.

I have been through so many holsters its driving me crazy. I just haven't found the "one" yet.

1: a simple snap bulldog holster. Loved the simplicity and ease of use. Didn't love the lack of security or the way it hung away from my body.
    2: drop leg thumb drive. This was by far my favorite. Loved the ease of use, comfortable, didn't get in the way. The security of the thumb drive was nice, though not a 10/10. Didn't like the "look at me" statement.
    3: uncle mikes pro3. Loved the security, did not like the bulk or the difficult draw.
    4: shoulder rig. I hated that thing. All aspects.

So wtf. I'm getting fustrated.

I need something that is secure, easy to draw, sits close to the body and isn't bulky. Is this too much to ask or what?

Re: I can't find a freakin holster.

Couple points -

1. This is a gun site, never say anything is driving you crazy - makes it easy on gun grabbers.

2. What make/model pistol are you trying to buy for?

3. There is a thread in the general section / open carry brigade that may have you covered already. Holster & Accessories IIRC?

Good luck.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 08-31-2013 at 10:02 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

It's a steyr m40-a1.

I picked through that thread, its hard to tell though before trying it yourself. Lots of good info there though.

Founder's Club Member
    I can't find a freakin holster.
    Well, that's your problem right there--nobody makes a holster for a freakin.

ETA: Did you try the DeSantis website? (Hint: turn on cookies. The site won't tell you if you have it off; it will just keep showing the same page.)
    Last edited by Citizen; 08-31-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

So I'm going to rank my needs in order of importance.

1: ease of draw
    2: security
    3: comfort (ride close to body, less bulky)
    4: detachable, easy removal.
    5: extra mag storeage.

I think that's it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post

ETA: Did you try the DeSantis website? (Hint: turn on cookies. The site won't tell you if you have it off; it will just keep showing the same page.)

Negative ghost rider, looking now.

DeSantis doesn't look like they sell anything for steyr. Unless there is a cross platform application I'm not aware of.

Have you looked at http://www.steyrclub.com/vb/ ? BladeTech and Cleveland are sponsors, so presumably they make a holster that would fit.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Last edited by FreeInAZ; 09-01-2013 at 04:53 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

#1 - there is a LAW that says a gun owner must have a drawer/box/bin/wall locker/foot locker full of holsters that were tried and were not "just right". Break that law at your own risk.

#2 - fanboi sites for your flavor of handgun are chock full of stories of folks who have accumulated holsters in accordance with the LAW described above. Every once in a while someone there will actually mention a holster they found that caused them to stop buying holsters.

#3 - fanboi sites are notoriously hard to search for straight answers to questions like yours. One technique to overcome that fact of life is to post a request for recommendations and (this is the secret part) then PM those that respond with something that sounds like what you are looking for and ask them for pictures (front, back, 2 sides) of their rig both off the belt and being worn. Not all will send pictures, but enough may.

#4 - take a road trip to the HQ of every holster maker that says they make a hoster that fits your pistol, or that your pistol can fit in, and try them out without having to buy them and then try to return them in a feeble attempt to circumvent the LAW (see #1 above).

#5 - learn how to make your own holster. What ever you do after making your holster, do not try to sell holsters to other folks unless you really want to find yourself devoting every waking moment not at your current day job to trying to fulfill orders, and then quitting your day job to gain more hours to make holsters in your attempt to meet all the orders you receive.

#6 - remember that perfect is the mortal enemy of good enough.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I make holsters for a freakin~~but not until the doctors say I can again...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I make holsters for a freakin~~but not until the doctors say I can again...
    Oh, lord.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Try a Bianchi Carrylok. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

A #82 should fit, but I'm just guessing, so don't take my guess as gospel.

The only downside is the middle finger release takes some getting used to, but now that I've carried one for awhile, the release is muscle memory and comes naturally, now.

Oh, lord.
    Yea I think I met him last Tuesday, and then punched him, I kicked the poor nurse and sent her flying across the room. They are not supposed to let you wake up during surgery.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.

I love love this site.

Founder's Club Member
    Yea I think I met him last Tuesday, and then punched him, I kicked the poor nurse and sent her flying across the room. They are not supposed to let you wake up during surgery.
    Why, and upon who, were you performing surgery while sleeping?

http://www.falcoholsters.com/ makes holsters for the Steyr M9-A1 so they can probably make one for your M40-A1.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Why, and upon who, were you performing surgery while sleeping?
    I had open heart surgery at Rex hospital Tuesday, I came to while still supposedly under anesthesia.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

I had open heart surgery at Rex hospital Tuesday, I came to while still supposedly under anesthesia.
    Dang!! There better have been a considerable discount on that anesthesiologist bill!!
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

Were you nekked on the OR table or in recovery?

Cause your sposed to wake up in recovery.

I wore my uncle mikes around all day today, and I think im starting to get used to it.

I ordered the high ride belt loop accessory, so maybe that will fix the issues.

Currently my biggest complaints with the pro3 are:
    Uncomfortable
    Bulky
    Have to have two hands to draw. (Though I guess that's the pitfalls of a triple retention.)

Is it stupid and overkill for me to think I HAVE to use a retention holster?

I feel safer with one and I find myself thinking less about my weapon when I have one. I've always thought that there is a reason that LEOs are required to have retention holsters.

Some of the simple thumb break leather holsters are nice. But I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable wearing one.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackett View Post
    Is it stupid and overkill for me to think I HAVE to use a retention holster?

I feel safer with one and I find myself thinking less about my weapon when I have one. I've always thought that there is a reason that LEOs are required to have retention holsters.

Some of the simple thumb break leather holsters are nice. But I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable wearing one.
    Thumb break holsters are retention holsters.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The holster I settled on for my m&p is a safariland als. Easy on and off, quick draw one once you know how, good retention. Not sure if they make one for your pistol though.
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skeith5 View Post
    The holster I settled on for my m&p is a safariland als. Easy on and off, quick draw one once you know how, good retention. Not sure if they make one for your pistol though.
    Safariland says they have two that will fit the Steyr m40

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/results.aspx
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast