Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying my gun around the house openly.

Carrying my gun around the house openly.

For the last month I have been bothered by people knocking on my door. People are coming around the neighborhood looking for either work or someone. I usually don't carry my gun around the house. I have a sign posted on my door that says no solicitation. Last night I had both outside and inside doors locked. A guy came and pulled my outside door that was locked opened and knocked on my inside door. I saw him do all of this through my peep hole. Did not answer my door but watched him leave on a bike. Am I letting my guard down by not carrying my gun around in my house? I think I am going to start carrying my gun openly around my house today after I get home from Church. As a veteran and a American we should not have to live in fear in our country. Also I live in Moore,OK.

Gregg

Re: Carrying my gun around the house openly.

Even in Illinois we are allowed by our ruling elite to carry on our own property. Well, OK, if we have a valid FOID card.

I find it makes a good opportunity to try out which rig feels the best so when and if we ever are allowed by our masters in Chicago, we will be comfy carrying outside our homes.

It also can't hurt to be ready in case someone singles you out to be the victim of a crime.

Carthago Delenda Est
    Last edited by kurt555gs; 09-01-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Everywhere

I carry mine openly in the house, out of the house, around the house, etc.... It does not matter. It does a couple things
    1. Increases security
    2. Increases deterrence
    3. Teaches my daughter PROPER gun safety and awareness

So I say carry it everywhere, the wife might not like it poking her in the night, but she will get used to it ... ok maybe that part was a little sarcasm, but you get the drift.

CW

This is my rifle, and this is my gun. This one's for fightin', and this one's for fun.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Watts View Post
    I carry mine openly in the house, out of the house, around the house, etc.... It does not matter. It does a couple things
    1. Increases security
    2. Increases deterrence
    3. Teaches my daughter PROPER gun safety and awareness
    This is Truth. When I get up in the morning I put on pants with a holster. The pistol comes off the night table and goes in the holster untill the end of the day at which time I put it back on the night table.
    #1. You betcha. If you don't have it when you need it....well you know.
    #2. Anyone who walks past my house when I am outside will know we are AN ARMED HOME.
    #3. And it normalizes the open carry of a firearm for all the Honest World to see.

Carry Openly, carry all the time, be safe.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Growing up I remember that my parents just left the car keys in the car, and the house was never locked. They wanted to lock-up the house when we were going on a vacation, and couldn't find a key to the house, so it was left unlocked while we were at the beach.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post
    Growing up I remember that my parents just left the car keys in the car, and the house was never locked. They wanted to lock-up the house when we were going on a vacation, and couldn't find a key to the house, so it was left unlocked while we were at the beach.
    Amazing how different things were just a generation or so ago. Though my family wasn't like that growing up, my dad has similar stories.

I try to carry all the time, inside or outside the home. Sometimes when I'm inside, and the door is locked, I simply "keep it near". I try to make sure I can get to it in the amount of time it might take someone to get through the locked door or window. Since I estimate that at only a second or less, it's usually pretty close.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 09-01-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    This is Truth. When I get up in the morning I put on pants with a holster. The pistol comes off the night table and goes in the holster untill the end of the day at which time I put it back on the night table.
    #1. You betcha. If you don't have it when you need it....well you know.
    #2. Anyone who walks past my house when I am outside will know we are AN ARMED HOME.
    #3. And it normalizes the open carry of a firearm for all the Honest World to see.

Carry Openly, carry all the time, be safe.
    +1 Totally agree!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhitegm60 View Post
    For the last month I have been bothered by people knocking on my door. People are coming around the neighborhood looking for either work or someone. I usually don't carry my gun around the house. I have a sign posted on my door that says no solicitation. Last night I had both outside and inside doors locked. A guy came and pulled my outside door that was locked opened and knocked on my inside door. I saw him do all of this through my peep hole. Did not answer my door but watched him leave on a bike. Am I letting my guard down by not carrying my gun around in my house? I think I am going to start carrying my gun openly around my house today after I get home from Church. As a veteran and a American we should not have to live in fear in our country. Also I live in Moore,OK.

Gregg
    Sounds like the MO for burglars ... they ring your door .. if you answer they make up some excuse .. if you don't, they crash your door and grab what they can.

I carry mine in the house, always, when I go to my door I open the door with my right hand and keep the pistol behind the door, out of sight. That just seems to be the polite thing to do so as to not needlessly scare the crapola out of an honest person at my door. If the person on the other side of the door means to harm me I will deal with the holes in the door later.

I also carry the house phone in my shirt pocket. For those folks who stop and need a phone I have it with me, and it has all the emergency numbers for my area listed on the back. We get a number of people here after hitting deer or cars breaking down, unless the weather is real bad they all stay on the porch. If I decide to let them in I will tell them I am armed before backing away from the door, that helps a lot with them not freaking out, plus word spreads fast that I am armed all the time, I hope that keeps most of the riff raff away. I have been told the "bad people" will just shot me but that will attract attention they don't want.

Just a tid bit of info, when you open the door keep your foot (sideways) close to it so it can not be kicked back into you, may get a bruise or two on the side of your foot but it will sure slow that door down.

Carry around the house.

My gun is on me at all times. When I leave the house for sure. I keep a couple of them during the day when I am home around the house. Out of reach of the kids of course, but within reach of just a couple of seconds for me. Believe me, you are not being paraniod for keeping them within reach! Each home invasion shows us that paranoia is just thinking safely!

Quote Originally Posted by gwhitegm60 View Post

Gregg
    Oklahoma Law says that anyone licensed or not can openly carry on/in their house or on their property that they control. Once you step off your property you need a license to carry. Oklhoma 2nd Ammendment Assn (OK2A) is working on being able to do the same in your own vehicle. At present you still need a license to carry in your vehicle unless you are transporting to a function, then it must be in the open and unloaded. The ammo has to be in a separate location where it can't be reached immediately. Keep the faith. We've still along way to go but were getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by gprod55 View Post
    Oklahoma Law says that anyone licensed or not can openly carry on/in their house or on their property that they control. Once you step off your property you need a license to carry. Oklhoma 2nd Ammendment Assn (OK2A) is working on being able to do the same in your own vehicle. At present you still need a license to carry in your vehicle unless you are transporting to a function, then it must be in the open and unloaded. The ammo has to be in a separate location where it can't be reached immediately. Keep the faith. We've still along way to go but were getting there.
    There is no law in OK that requires the ammo to be in a separate location.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be accepted as legal advice

There has NEVER been an Illinois statute regarding keeping ammo sperate, but that keeps coming up here as well. Where does this myth come from?

Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt555gs View Post
    There has NEVER been an Illinois statute regarding keeping ammo sperate, but that keeps coming up here as well. Where does this myth come from?

Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard.
    There is a federal law, USC 18, Chapter 44, Section 926 that provides for the transportation of firearms and ammunition that says firearms may be transported unloaded in a locked compartment and ammo has to be transported separately from the firearm. Transporting in this way can be used as an exemption from any state law that says otherwise, but it is not required to transport in this manor. I'm paraphrasing a bit, but I believe that is where the confusion comes from.

As I remember the ammo can be in the same case but has to be in cardboard boxes, not speed loaders or magazines. Same as the TSA requirement. I may be wrong in this though.

Carthago Delenda Est

Centurion

Carrying my gun around the house openly.

As I remember the ammo can be in the same case but has to be in cardboard boxes, not speed loaders or magazines. Same as the TSA requirement. I may be wrong in this though.

Carthago Delenda Est
    Ammo in magazines that are not inserted into a firearm are "separate from the firearm" even if stored in the same container!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 09-02-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Carthago Delenda Est
    I can find nothing about transporting ammo that says this in federal or Oklahoma law. This is strictly a TSA requirement.

I OC around the house from the time I get dressed to the time I get ready for bed. It really irritates the wife at times. Our 9yo daughter is good with it as she is more firearms savvy than her mother.

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    There is a federal law, USC 18, Chapter 44, Section 926 that provides for the transportation of firearms and ammunition that says firearms may be transported unloaded in a locked compartment and ammo has to be transported separately from the firearm. Transporting in this way can be used as an exemption from any state law that says otherwise, but it is not required to transport in this manor. I'm paraphrasing a bit, but I believe that is where the confusion comes from.
    FOPA's interstate travel protections do not apply to travel all within one state. They also do not apply to travel from a state where possession is permitted to a state where possession is prohibited.

DO NOT try to comply with FOPA as an exemption to state law if you are not travelling from one state to another. The learning curve is very steep, very expensive, and could cause you to lose more than time, money, and your 2A rights.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Loaded magazines

Carthago Delenda Est
    Loaded magazines may be in checked luggage. They may not be in the same hard-sided case as the weapon. I recently flew to Seattle with 6 loaded magazines in a Glock case. In Nashville, they never even looked at my gun case. On the return in Seattle, TSA checked the locked gun case and opened the unlocked Glock case w/6 loaded magazines. Not a blink or a peep - "have a great day".

Good I thought I might overdoing it by carrying at home. I am glad there are others that feel the same way I do. You never know when something is going to happen, must be ready at all times. I even carry when I am mowing the lawn, or working in the garage.
    Steve

I think the safety of our family should never be less in focus no matter where we are. Especially in the places we can become very complacent. Home, parents house, brother or sisters house. You get the idea. We feel really secure in places that we shouldn't.

TulsaDan
    The way of the fool is right in his own eyes; but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise. Prov 12:15

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Sounds like the MO for burglars ... they ring your door .. if you answer they make up some excuse .. if you don't, they crash your door and grab what they can.
    I'm sure some damn lawyer or DA would try and prosecute the homeowner for 'entrapment' by not answering the door when home.

Quote Originally Posted by 51rattruck View Post
    Good I thought I might overdoing it by carrying at home. I am glad there are others that feel the same way I do. You never know when something is going to happen, must be ready at all times. I even carry when I am mowing the lawn, or working in the garage.
    Steve
    My County Sheriff admits they have not locked up all the bad guys around here, seems to be getting more ahead of them as things get worse in the world, might be different in your neighborhood. Bad stuff happens at peoples homes a lot. Just because I am home does not guarantee the bad guys will not try to make bad stuff happen at mine.

The more you carry the more it feels comfortable and natural. My 1911 is on when I cinch up my belt in the morning, off undoing my belt to get ready for bed, unless I have a small Sig P238 in my pocket for CC occasions. I mow with the P238 deep in my pocket to keep it cleaner on a riding mower with dust and stuff blowing. If I leave the house without one of them, I would feel like I forgot to put my pants on, does not happen.

My old Colt is not a show piece, most likely I could drive a few nails with it and you could not tell the difference, if that matters to you, buy yourself another BBQ gun for special dress up occasions.

To me, there is a difference in being paranoid and being prepared. I still carry a spare tire in my car, even though I have not had a flat out on the road in 20 years. Do you have a spare tire in case you need it? This is the same difference to me. Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast