• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying my gun around the house openly.

51rattruck

Good I thought I might overdoing it by carrying at home. I am glad there are others that feel the same way I do. You never know when something is going to happen, must be ready at all times. I even carry when I am mowing the lawn, or working in the garage.
Steve

TulsaDan

I think the safety of our family should never be less in focus no matter where we are. Especially in the places we can become very complacent. Home, parents house, brother or sisters house. You get the idea. We feel really secure in places that we shouldn't.

TulsaDan
The way of the fool is right in his own eyes; but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise. Prov 12:15

XD40sc

Sounds like the MO for burglars ... they ring your door .. if you answer they make up some excuse .. if you don't, they crash your door and grab what they can.

I'm sure some damn lawyer or DA would try and prosecute the homeowner for 'entrapment' by not answering the door when home.

P238Shooter

Good I thought I might overdoing it by carrying at home. I am glad there are others that feel the same way I do. You never know when something is going to happen, must be ready at all times. I even carry when I am mowing the lawn, or working in the garage.
Steve

My County Sheriff admits they have not locked up all the bad guys around here, seems to be getting more ahead of them as things get worse in the world, might be different in your neighborhood. Bad stuff happens at peoples homes a lot. Just because I am home does not guarantee the bad guys will not try to make bad stuff happen at mine.

The more you carry the more it feels comfortable and natural. My 1911 is on when I cinch up my belt in the morning, off undoing my belt to get ready for bed, unless I have a small Sig P238 in my pocket for CC occasions. I mow with the P238 deep in my pocket to keep it cleaner on a riding mower with dust and stuff blowing. If I leave the house without one of them, I would feel like I forgot to put my pants on, does not happen.

My old Colt is not a show piece, most likely I could drive a few nails with it and you could not tell the difference, if that matters to you, buy yourself another BBQ gun for special dress up occasions.

To me, there is a difference in being paranoid and being prepared. I still carry a spare tire in my car, even though I have not had a flat out on the road in 20 years. Do you have a spare tire in case you need it? This is the same difference to me. Ken

TulsaDan

"To me, there is a difference in being paranoid and being prepared. I still carry a spare tire in my car, even though I have not had a flat out on the road in 20 years. Do you have a spare tire in case you need it? This is the same difference to me. Ken"

Great point! I carry a lot more than just a spare tire. I have a bunch of just in case gear for winter or summer depending. I do not believe that to be paranoid so why should carrying a gun be too! Great point!

TulsaDan
The way of the fool is right in his own eyes; but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise. Prov 12:15

Elm Creek Smith

I put on a gun belt most mornings when I go to work. When I get home or on my days off, I carry, generally open, until bedtime. When going someplace with my wife, I usually carry concealed because, well, she thinks open carry makes people "look" at us. (She's kinda shy.) Carrying around the house I have been able to explain to her satisfaction as if someone does kick the door or throws a lawn chair through the back windows I won't have time to "run for the gun." You're not nuts or paranoid for carrying at home.

ECS

Sent from my little slice of Heaven.

Glock 1st fan

For the last month I have been bothered by people knocking on my door. People are coming around the neighborhood looking for either work or someone. I usually don't carry my gun around the house. I have a sign posted on my door that says no solicitation. Last night I had both outside and inside doors locked. A guy came and pulled my outside door that was locked opened and knocked on my inside door. I saw him do all of this through my peep hole. Did not answer my door but watched him leave on a bike. Am I letting my guard down by not carrying my gun around in my house? I think I am going to start carrying my gun openly around my house today after I get home from Church. As a veteran and a American we should not have to live in fear in our country. Also I live in Moore,OK.

Gregg

Im late on the thread Gregg but Moore is a wonderful place and I have been staying there quiet a bit of my time lately.

I too carry openly even around my house because its also what I do for a living. I encourage people to wear their firearms at all times when I teach as there are indefinate numbers of things that can arise. I am totally against the whole leave a shot gun loaded in the corner just in case simply because it becomes a nuisance to have to secure it everytime I go to work or get a gallon of milk and then take it back out in case.

Wearing a side arm though is totally different in that I know where it is at all times and I have been trained in dozens of scenarios and other instances where it becomes a second nature to me just in case. Children may visit too when my friends come over as they may have them with them and then I still dont worry about them out of site out of mind for even a second and finding a gun in the corner.

Home invasions are on the rise and they are steadily getting worse and with liberal judges slapping their wrist and putting them in a 5 star resort (Yes those who have been in say it isnt so but when you can get all your bills and meals for free why would you want to work you just learn to adapt)

Be smart and carry at all times and be safe

MattinWA

Not only do I practice home carry both concealed and open (situation depending)

But I also leave the door to my safe open while in the house, to grant me (or members of my family) quicker access to heavier firepower

TulsaDan

My kids are older. I have one that is a little to immature to leave the safe open though. All of the rest of the family knows how to open the safe quickly. I have done a couple of drills to see just how long it would take me to get to the room and get a gun. I wasn't too happy with some of the times from further rooms. I am considering putting some smaller safe or hiding place between them. I have looked online and the prices are pretty steep for some of the options. I have been given some pretty good ideas though. Any suggestions guys? The option I am looking at is something to put in my hallway.

Dan Hunt
The way of the fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise. Proverbs 12:15

TulsaDan

I took this week off of work. My first day was spent with my pistol on the table next to my chair. I would get up and do stuff around the house and realized that the gun was not truly available if I needed it quickly. Today I decided to wear my IWB holster and its on me now. I know it probably isn't a huge deal, but for some reason it is comforting to know it is here and ready. I live in mid town area and there have been several break ins in my area, as well as others being assaulted in their own homes. As much as I hate to say this, we are to be prepared for anything at anytime. That is the responsibility of us all. This post has opened my eyes to the truth of that.

Dan Hunt
The way of the fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise. Proverbs 12:15

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...I took this week off of work. My first day was spent with my pistol on the table next to my chair. I would get up and do stuff around the house and realized that the gun was not truly available if I needed it quickly. Today I decided to wear my IWB holster and its on me now. I know it probably isn't a huge deal, but for some reason it is comforting to know it is here and ready.

Much like OC, it shouldn't be a big deal but IS because someone inevitably comes along and MAKES it a big deal.

That being said, I do the same around my apartment here in Tucson, AZ and when I visit the rest of the family in Phoenix. Good call on carrying, even (especially) in the home, where 100% of home invasions occur.:lol:

Simply stated: "It doesn't matter it it's by an inch or by a mile, if it isn't within reach when you most need it, you might as well not even have it" - Rusty Young Man, April 2014 (parody of one of Vin Diesel's lines in The Fast and the Furious)

Also, greetings from sunny, dry Arizona!:)

Glock 1st fan

Much like OC, it shouldn't be a big deal but IS because someone inevitably comes along and MAKES it a big deal.

That being said, I do the same around my apartment here in Tucson, AZ and when I visit the rest of the family in Phoenix. Good call on carrying, even (especially) in the home, where 100% of home invasions occur.:lol:

Simply stated: "It doesn't matter it it's by an inch or by a mile, if it isn't within reach when you most need it, you might as well not even have it" - Rusty Young Man, April 2014 (parody of one of Vin Diesel's lines in The Fast and the Furious)

Also, greetings from sunny, dry Arizona!:)

Very well said. Though its not inside a home as this thread is about I do have an interesting story. I went to Moore oklahoma to visit my gal and we went to a walmart she calls the hood.

As we were leaving a residentially challenged person apprached and aggresively began to beg. Now im no stranger to this behavior due to my job but he really irritated me. It wasn't until he noticed I had my firearm on my side and was wearing a tshirt that says "firearm instructor" he decided to move on. It made a huge difference.