Thread: Process for Nevada Non-Resident CCW

Process for Nevada Non-Resident CCW

Hi all,

I'm planning to goto Las Vegas for a week-long vacation in 2014 next year. I would like to carry. I understand OC is legal under the state preemption, but may want to conceal as not to draw attention (for the sale of my friends.) I more than welcome the inquisitive attention OC brings, but don't want to drag my friends into any of the "drama" attention may bring while on vacation.) I currently have (in processing) Virginia and Utah CCWs. Neither of these have reciprocity.

Question being: What is the most cost effective process for obtaining the classroom training, live-fire, fingerprinting, and submittal of the application for someone residing in Virginia/DC area? From some quick Googling it looks like the only feasible way involves flying to NV for all this, as there does not seem to be courses similar offered in Virginia, (like there is for Utah CCW).
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

Also- I understand this is an open carry forum and site, so the correct answer would be "OC is legal in NV" case closed! That said, I respectfully understand if this thread gets locked,

However, I wanted to ask here first because this is one of the most resourceful forums.
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    ...What is the most cost effective process for obtaining the classroom training, live-fire, fingerprinting, and submittal of the application for someone residing in Virginia/DC area? From some quick Googling it looks like the only feasible way involves flying to NV for all this, as there does not seem to be courses similar offered in Virginia, (like there is for Utah CCW).
    NV law requires that the state-required class be taken within the state of NV. And with a 4-month process to get the permit, you have no chance of being able to legally conceal during your first visit unless you get a permit from a state we recognize.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

That's unfortunate. Which liberal legislator was responsible for NV losing reciprocity with Utah?

That's unfortunate. Which liberal legislator was responsible for NV losing reciprocity with Utah?
    That would be the non-governing body of the NVSCA. But, NV does not have reciprocity, it has recognition of state permits that are of similar limitation/requirements as NV. If Utah altered, they got dropped.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Since UT does not require live-fire qualification, they were dropped several years ago. Yes, the requirement is a joke. I know of no permitee in the country that hasn't fired a gun, and the NV live-fire test can be passed by a blind first-time shooter.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

It's also unfortunate to see Florida is not recognized. Similar to Utah CCW, Florida permit classes do have live-fire, and classes are offered by many companies in many states.

It's also unfortunate to see Florida is not recognized. Similar to Utah CCW, Florida permit classes do have live-fire, and classes are offered by many companies in many states.
    Correction- UNLIKE Utah CCW requirements, Florida does have a live-fire.

Florida is a 7-year renewal and background check. Nevada is a much more secure 5-year renewal (sarcasm) so that is the reasoning behind not recognizing it. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Florida is a 7-year renewal and background check. Nevada is a much more secure 5-year renewal (sarcasm) so that is the reasoning behind not recognizing it. Sorry.
    Ah, don't apologize. I think if anyone on this forum could dictate the law it would be a unanimous "full inter-state reciprocity" and DC!! It's annoying that there are a handful of states NV does recognize, but neither of mine. Well, for everyone's sake at least their shall issue.

Ah, don't apologize. I think if anyone on this forum could dictate the law it would be a unanimous "full inter-state reciprocity" and DC!! It's annoying that there are a handful of states NV does recognize, but neither of mine. Well, for everyone's sake at least their shall issue.

Be safe, I know the wife and I goes there to but the next time I go I will be taken it but just have an unloaded lock up.

Thanks for the advise everyone. If anyone sees a potential approach for applying for a "shall issue" within the Virginia area, thats recognized by NV, please let me know!

Activist Member
    If you can get any of the non-resident permits listed here, then you can carry in Nevada:

http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml