• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Process for Nevada Non-Resident CCW

cirrusly

Hi all,

I'm planning to goto Las Vegas for a week-long vacation in 2014 next year. I would like to carry. I understand OC is legal under the state preemption, but may want to conceal as not to draw attention (for the sale of my friends.) I more than welcome the inquisitive attention OC brings, but don't want to drag my friends into any of the "drama" attention may bring while on vacation.) I currently have (in processing) Virginia and Utah CCWs. Neither of these have reciprocity.

Question being: What is the most cost effective process for obtaining the classroom training, live-fire, fingerprinting, and submittal of the application for someone residing in Virginia/DC area? From some quick Googling it looks like the only feasible way involves flying to NV for all this, as there does not seem to be courses similar offered in Virginia, (like there is for Utah CCW).

cirrusly

Also- I understand this is an open carry forum and site, so the correct answer would be "OC is legal in NV" case closed! That said, I respectfully understand if this thread gets locked,

However, I wanted to ask here first because this is one of the most resourceful forums.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...What is the most cost effective process for obtaining the classroom training, live-fire, fingerprinting, and submittal of the application for someone residing in Virginia/DC area? From some quick Googling it looks like the only feasible way involves flying to NV for all this, as there does not seem to be courses similar offered in Virginia, (like there is for Utah CCW).

NV law requires that the state-required class be taken within the state of NV. And with a 4-month process to get the permit, you have no chance of being able to legally conceal during your first visit unless you get a permit from a state we recognize.

cirrusly

That's unfortunate. Which liberal legislator was responsible for NV losing reciprocity with Utah?

wrightme

That's unfortunate. Which liberal legislator was responsible for NV losing reciprocity with Utah?

That would be the non-governing body of the NVSCA. But, NV does not have reciprocity, it has recognition of state permits that are of similar limitation/requirements as NV. If Utah altered, they got dropped.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

Since UT does not require live-fire qualification, they were dropped several years ago. Yes, the requirement is a joke. I know of no permitee in the country that hasn't fired a gun, and the NV live-fire test can be passed by a blind first-time shooter.

cirrusly

It's also unfortunate to see Florida is not recognized. Similar to Utah CCW, Florida permit classes do have live-fire, and classes are offered by many companies in many states.

cirrusly

It's also unfortunate to see Florida is not recognized. Similar to Utah CCW, Florida permit classes do have live-fire, and classes are offered by many companies in many states.

Correction- UNLIKE Utah CCW requirements, Florida does have a live-fire.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Florida is a 7-year renewal and background check. Nevada is a much more secure 5-year renewal (sarcasm) so that is the reasoning behind not recognizing it. Sorry.

cirrusly

Florida is a 7-year renewal and background check. Nevada is a much more secure 5-year renewal (sarcasm) so that is the reasoning behind not recognizing it. Sorry.

Ah, don't apologize. I think if anyone on this forum could dictate the law it would be a unanimous "full inter-state reciprocity" and DC!! It's annoying that there are a handful of states NV does recognize, but neither of mine. Well, for everyone's sake at least their shall issue.

Bigpapa

Ah, don't apologize. I think if anyone on this forum could dictate the law it would be a unanimous "full inter-state reciprocity" and DC!! It's annoying that there are a handful of states NV does recognize, but neither of mine. Well, for everyone's sake at least their shall issue.

Be safe, I know the wife and I goes there to but the next time I go I will be taken it but just have an unloaded lock up.

cirrusly

Thanks for the advise everyone. If anyone sees a potential approach for applying for a "shall issue" within the Virginia area, thats recognized by NV, please let me know!