• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Overseas Visitor OC

Jero1987

Long time no see. :)

Question for some of the legal types. I am having a friend visit from the UK and was wondering if it was okay for him to OC with me? He has a clean record of course and is not prohibited from shooting one. I have had friends from the UK shoot with me, but never OC. Thanks!

Jero

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Long time no see. :)

Question for some of the legal types. I am having a friend visit from the UK and was wondering if it was okay for him to OC with me? He has a clean record of course and is not prohibited from shooting one. I have had friends from the UK shoot with me, but never OC. Thanks!

Jero

Glad you're back. I was wondering what happened to you.

I don't know of any prohibition against a visitor OC'ing. Just keep him out of the forbidden areas.
Maybe Scouser will comment. He has one of those accents:lol:

papa bear

as far as what i understand is if you are not a prohibited person you can carry. the only thing i could see is if he/she is a illegal alien. if you have all your valid paper work they should be fine

va_tazdad

Say what???????

Glad you're back. I was wondering what happened to you.

I don't know of any prohibition against a visitor OC'ing. Just keep him out of the forbidden areas.
Maybe Scouser will comment. He has one of those accents:lol:

Scouser has an accent?????? You don't say. I just thought my hearing was going. Old age does that to you.

EMNofSeattle

from 18 USC 922 (g)

(g) It shall be unlawful for any person—..................................snipped
(5) who, being an alien—
.......snipped..........
(B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(26)));...............snipped
to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

note, the feds consider any gun that crossed state lines or even made with materials that crossed state lines or even affected the market to be "a gun affecting interstate commerce" that constitutes a general federal prohibition on non-resident aliens possession a firearm in the United States... however

18 USC 922 (y)(2)(A)
(2) Exceptions.— Subsections (d)(5)(B), (g)(5)(B), and (s)(3)(B)(v)(II) do not apply to any alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, if that alien is—
(A) admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or is in possession of a hunting license or permit
lawfully issued in the United States;

so is there any ISPC or IDPA or GSSF matches occuring when the british friend will be in town? note too the or i highlighted in red. if your UK friend qualifies for a non-res hunting tag then get him a hunting license.....

I don't know what Virginia law says on the subject.... but I would mind the federal law. the feds rarely enforce federal gun law just for the hell of it... but since your friend is an alien I'd be more cautious for him....

grylnsmn

18 USC 922 isn't exactly that clear, because you have to look at what the definition of "nonimmigrant" actually says.

You can get details from the ATF's FAQ on the subject here: http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/faq/non-immigrant-aliens.pdf

The key part is this:
Nonimmigrant aliens lawfully admitted to the United States without a visa (e.g. Visa Waiver Program), will not be prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing firearms or ammunition, provided that they meet State of residency requirements and are not otherwise prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing firearms.
You can find details on the Visa Waiver Program here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html

The short version is that because the UK participates in the Visa Waiver Program, as long as they came here through that program they would be legal to possess a firearm.

Thundar

Don't let him carry a loaded handgun with a threaded barrel in certain parts of Virginia. Exemtions from the Federal Gun Control Act do not exempt him from Virginia's stupid asault weapons law.

papa bear

Don't let him carry a loaded handgun with a threaded barrel in certain parts of Virginia. Exemtions from the Federal Gun Control Act do not exempt him from Virginia's stupid asault weapons law.

Sorry THUNDAR, could you give a cite for that. laws in VA are the same for SWVA, as well as NVA. that is the main goal of the VCDL

i would like to know because if there is a difference then we need to get it changed

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sorry THUNDAR, could you give a cite for that. laws in VA are the same for SWVA, as well as NVA. that is the main goal of the VCDL

i would like to know because if there is a difference then we need to get it changed

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.
(1991, c. 570; 1992, c. 790; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995; 2005, c. 160; 2007, c. 813.)

There are actually still a lot of regional differences.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/local-ordinances.pdf

Last edited:

papa bear

Thanks PETER, i have sent this on to people that know more then me. i am interested in seeing what they say

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks PETER, i have sent this on to people that know more then me. i am interested in seeing what they say

For the most part, they're legal!

When preemption was passed it was that no law be passed that wasn't approved by the General Assembly. Most of these are based on hunting statutes that are in the Code.
Obviously, they're abused. For instance the prohibition of carrying a loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle in the City of Richmond.

Unless you're after rats or stray dogs, there isn't much hunting in the City.

Abused or not, they're legal and I doubt very much the "People":rolleyes: you sent them to, are interested in changing them.

HPmatt

VA daily limit on rats?

For the most part, they're legal!
Unless you're after rats or stray dogs, there isn't much hunting in the City.

So are there daily limits on # of rats and stray dogs you can bag in Richmond?
Besides a hunting permit, do you need to get a bitch permit to shoot the females? (Don't know what you call a female rat - a 'Pelosi'?)