• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

19 and New to OC

skyline330

Wondering.. Im 19 and I am new to OC, I want learn as much as I can but who really has answers?

I bought my first handgun with a pistol purchase permit from a private party. I know that is legal.

But can I still OC? I live in Raleigh about 2 hours from home as I go to school up here. I understand the places I can and cannot carry. But I hear WAY!!! To many times that its Illegal for me to even have it.

Any have any answers and can back it up? As Ive talked to many law officers and they say its not. That I can own the gun but it has to be kept at the house.

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

papa bear

Don't listen to any LE, they will give you opinion and they know nothing about the law.

there is no reason why you can't OC, as a matter of fact you can't legally conceal. so you don't have any choice
if you want to learn more, then stay on this site. go to some of the meet and greets in your area. there are several

bc.cruiser

Welcome to the world of OC. Go to the "OC Flyer-August2012" sticky listed at the beginning of the NC forum.
It will give you a little more info. Note where it says that you won't find a law saying to can OC because there isn't one; to keep and bear arms is protected by the NC constitution, and only CC requires permission.

The link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9SbdmEOcqRTZGNmS1c2X0RKcm8/edit?usp=drive_web&pli=1

This link will give you Chapter 14 of the NCGS (not updated with the results of HB937):

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/StatutesTOC.pl?Chapter=0014

solus

Skyline, this is not presented as legal advice since IANA, but as i have read here many times and reiterated by BC, if there is nothing in the NC statutes discussing OC prohibitions or limits or....

that the LE's have an issue with the concept shows their biases not the legality of OC. while you might have felt you learned about sex from the locker room or your best buddies i would hope you have done your own research and came up with your own concepts? same principle...do your research and then make up your own decisions.

does that mean you might won't ever get hassled by LE...NO. however, remember your opportunity to defend your right(s) is in court not during the moment on the street while discussing the legality with the LE who might be 'discussing' you carrying.

enjoy exercising your rights...watch out having your firearm on educational property...

ipse

carolina guy

Skyline, this is not presented as legal advice since IANA, but as i have read here many times and reiterated by BC, if there is nothing in the NC statutes discussing OC prohibitions or limits or....

that the LE's have an issue with the concept shows their biases not the legality of OC. while you might have felt you learned about sex from the locker room or your best buddies i would hope you have done your own research and came up with your own concepts? same principle...do your research and then make up your own decisions.

does that mean you might won't ever get hassled by LE...NO. however, remember your opportunity to defend your right(s) is in court not during the moment on the street while discussing the legality with the LE who might be 'discussing' you carrying.

enjoy exercising your rights...watch out having your firearm on educational property...

ipse

The flier is an EXCELLENT starting place...as is the General Assembly's website for the current laws, particularly Chapter 14, which deals with Criminal code. About all you cannot do is concealed carry and buy a pistol from an FFL.

Wulf.45

Wondering.. Im 19 and I am new to OC, I want learn as much as I can but who really has answers?

I bought my first handgun with a pistol purchase permit from a private party. I know that is legal.

But can I still OC? I live in Raleigh about 2 hours from home as I go to school up here. I understand the places I can and cannot carry. But I hear WAY!!! To many times that its Illegal for me to even have it.

Any have any answers and can back it up? As Ive talked to many law officers and they say its not. That I can own the gun but it has to be kept at the house.

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have been OC'ing my RIA compact 1911 since I was 19. Minimum age to OC in NC is 18. Period. You have the same rights as anyone over 21, minus carrying concealed.

North Carolina General Statute § 14-269.7 provides that it is a misdemeanor for any person
under the age of 18 to willfully and intentionally possess or carry a handgun.

(http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx) <-Page 32

Nice job with the private party purchase, knowing that you can :banana: Most people have no idea what the laws are concerning age of firearm ownership whatsoever.

Carry on!