• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster snap question.

EhlerDave

I have a holster and the retention strap pops open to easy. Does anyone know how to tighten the snap?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks, David.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sometimes the inner snap ring will hang up - a little shot of silicon spray may free it up. Other than that, you may have to replace the snap.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sometimes the inner snap ring will hang up - a little shot of silicon spray may free it up. Other than that, you may have to replace the snap.

Does the snap pop open "too easy" when the gun is not in the holster?

If not, it might be that the strap is too tight.

You can stretch the leather (it is a leather holster, right?) of the retention strap.

1 - use plastic wrap to cover your gun where the retention strap goes. A couple of layers
2 - moisten (not soak, not drench) the strap
3 - stretch the strap and snap it down
4 - put the holstered gun away for a day or two to allow the strap to take on it's new set

Just be glad it's not a one-way snap http://www.romefast.com/SnapFastenersRoundSpringThreeEighthsInchOneWay.asp I'm not going to mention the name of the semi-custom holster maker who put one in that worked in the wrong direction. He was understanding when I called and explained that unless he had a fix I coud do in the next 30 seconds I was going to cut the retention strap so I could send just the holster back to him. The holster I got back was a bit fancier than what I had originally ordered as well as coming with a note of apology and assurance that he had triple checked the direction before putting the snap on this holster.

stay safe.

EhlerDave

Thanks for the replies.

Yes the snap is just loose, even with no gun in it. Yes it is a leather holster. I don't like the idea of my gun falling out. They are not made for constant drop testing and it would be bad for my sights. :lol:

I had a suggestion on how to attempt to tightening the snap, if that fails it will get a new snap.

Later, David.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the snap is just loose, even with no gun in it. Yes it is a leather holster. I don't like the idea of my gun falling out. They are not made for constant drop testing and it would be bad for my sights. :lol:

I had a suggestion on how to attempt to tightening the snap, if that fails it will get a new snap.

Later, David.

I have tapped the male side of the snap carefully with a hammer - that will widen it, making it tighter, but it may also shorten it too much.

If you replace it, I strongly recommend using the directional snap that Skidmark suggested - just make sure that it is properly oriented.