• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is the OC Map Going To Be Updated Now That Mississippi's New Law is in Effect?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Might surprise you but neither John, Mike, nor I read every post or thread on this forum - that is not likely in less than 25 - 30 hours per day.

The above thread did provide the court decision which is appreciated - I had not read it prior.

John will update the maps and status as soon as time permits - he has a very full plate and travels a lot. The request has been made and forwarded - understand that it is a thing of some importance for Mississippians after such a hard fought battle.

georg jetson

Might surprise you but neither John, Mike, nor I read every post or thread on this forum - that is not likely in less than 25 - 30 hours per day.

What!!?? I thought you had super moderator powers over time and space!!

;)

The above thread did provide the court decision which is appreciated - I had not read it prior.

John will update the maps and status as soon as time permits - he has a very full plate and travels a lot. The request has been made and forwarded - understand that it is a thing of some importance for Mississippians after such a hard fought battle.

Thanks!!!

Congrats again to the MS folks!!! I didn't have much to do with the change but, considering the state line's close proximity to my residence, I am a benefactor.

EMNofSeattle

Why is Mississippi not updated yet?

Mississippi now no longer requires a license to OC, so it should be yellow and not green....

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel7723

Thanks! I think we're all just happy to be able to celebrate a victory.

11C1P

I sent them an email about changing the map for North Dakota, and someone else started a thread as well. But still no change or response. :(

I sent them this.

Your map for restaurant shows North Dakota in red as banned. This is not correct. If you look at exception "f" at the bottom the restrictions to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol is not in effect if the restaurant allows people under the age of 21 on that side. I don't know how it works everywhere, but many restaurants here have 2 separate sides, a "bar" side and a "restaurant" side. Only people 21 & over may go into the bar side, but anyone can sit on the restaurant side. If you are over 21 you can still order alcohol on the restaurant side, but obviously you can't/shouldn't drink if you are carrying. I hope you can update the map. Thanks!

http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t62-1c02.pdf?20130902045258

62.1-02-04. Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in liquor establishment prohibited
-
Penalty Exceptions.

1. An individual who enters or remains in that part of the establishment that is set aside for the retail sale
of alcoholic beverages or used as a gaming site at which bingo is the primary gaming activity while in the possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

2. This section does not apply to:

a. A law enforcement officer.
b. The proprietor.
c. The proprietor's employee.
d. A designee of the proprietor when the designee is displaying an unloaded firearm or dangerous weapon as a prize or sale item in a raffle or auction.
e. Private security personnel while on duty for the purpose of delivering or receiving moneys used at the liquor establishment or at the gaming site at which bingo is the primary gaming activity.
f. The restaurant part of an establishment if an individual under twenty-one years of age is not prohibited in that part of the establishment.

I also tend to think the open carry map is a bit misleading too. While you can OC with a permit, you can open carry without a permit, as long as it's during daylight hours and the gun is unloaded. :confused: Stupid since if you keep a mag or speed clip in your pocket it will only take a fraction of a second to have it loaded.

EMNofSeattle

I think Iowa would more appropriately be labeled a "rural open carry state" (grey) instead of "licensed open carry state" (green) that it currently is.

since a license is only required for open carry in a city.

so a good revised map to be placed.... I turned Arkansas and Mississippi gold because their statutes no longer have a charge specifically criminalizing open carry...

and then I made Iowa alternating gray and green because it's both licensed and rural open carry

Attachments

• opencarrymap-Nov1-2012(1).PNG
    opencarrymap-Nov1-2012(1).PNG
    22.5 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Apparently you need a license to open carry in Mississippi..... at least that's what the map still says despite the law being changed as of two weeks ago and several members volunteering new maps to replace the new one with....

11C1P

It seems they're not really concerned with having it up to date, or maybe it's just states they aren't interested in. I sent them an email about N.D. restaurant carry laws changing, with a link, and saying the OC law color for our state wasn't quite right either. They haven't even responded with anything, not an, OK we're busy, we'll get to it when we get time, or just an F you leave us alone.

EMNofSeattle

exactly, it seems to be that some people's victories are more important then others... they wasted no time changing oklahoma, guess the people of Mississippi just aren't good enough for anyone to spend any time updating a map, they don't have the 12 seconds to spare.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It seems they're not really concerned with having it up to date, or maybe it's just states they aren't interested in. I sent them an email about N.D. restaurant carry laws changing, with a link, and saying the OC law color for our state wasn't quite right either. They haven't even responded with anything, not an, OK we're busy, we'll get to it when we get time, or just an * *** leave us alone.

exactly, it seems to be that some people's victories are more important then others... they wasted no time changing oklahoma, guess the people of Mississippi just aren't good enough for anyone to spend any time updating a map, they don't have the 12 seconds to spare.

Really? That's how you think and how you feel? How unfortunate.

eye95

Whether or not it is unfortunate that someone feels a certain way is entirely on the person who sees the unfortunateness.

All I can say is that many are watching how OCDO proceeds in regards to the recent stark changes in MS. I see two possibilities to explain the inexcusable delay in updating the map: There is not enough staff, and the administration does not see this as a problem, therefore the resources to get the job done are not there. Or the staff just don't think that what happened in MS is deserving of their time and attention.

You may think that it is unfortunate that I feel that way, but it is a reasonable belief and one that is surely similarly held by many.

My advice? Stop the complaining about this inaction by taking action. Simple.

That's all I have to say. Moving on.

EMNofSeattle

Not within my ability, authorized function + can't speak for others.

so pass the message along and give some acknowledgement that admin is aware and plans to change it....

if you have to call government department because they're illegally banning carry, are you just going to stop calling because the secratary says "I can't change that"?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
so pass the message along and give some acknowledgement that admin is aware and plans to change it....

if you have to call government department because they're illegally banning carry, are you just going to stop calling because the secratary says "I can't change that"?
The degree of interest and concern has been expressed.