Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emily Miller - newest member on OCDO

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Emily Miller - newest member on OCDO

Emily has just joined our ranks - user name emilymiller Let's give her a great big Virginia welcome.

Most of you will recognize her from her hard hitting tenacious approach in acquiring her permit in Washington D.C. She started as a neophyte with no past experience on which to draw and evolved as a leading authority on the subject.

After her much read articles in the Washington Times on the trials and tribulations of getting her permit, she did not rest on her laurels - now she has written a highly acclaimed book Emily Gets Her Gun:....But Obama Wants To Take Yours. Soon to be available - think that 9/3 is the release date. The pre-release autographed sales will presumably end tomorrow.
    http://www.amazon.com/Emily-Gets-Her.../dp/1621571920

Bio from the above link.

Emily Miller is senior editor of the opinion pages at The Washington Times. She appears regularly on Fox News, CNN, and CNBC. She was awarded the prestigious Institute on Political Journalism’s Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting. Miller was previously senior editor of Human Events, a columnist for AOL’s Politics Daily, associate producer at ABC News, and desk assistant at NBC News. She also served as deputy press secretary at the U.S. Department of State in the administration of President George W. Bush, after being a press secretary on Capitol Hill. A Baltimore native, Miller is a cum laude graduate of Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-02-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Re: Emily Miller - newest member on OCDO

I'm a fan of hers

Carthago Delenda Est

Centurion

A fan from Utah welcomes EmilyMiller to OCDO. Keep up the great pro firearm work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

That's GREAT news. I love reading her stuff. Glad she exposed the ridiculous process that DC makes it's oppressed citizens go through to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights.

Welcome Emily!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Welcome Aboard

Very happy to welcome Emily to the forum. I watched her series here in Florida and applaud her success. I hope to see her on the board.
    When those in Government fail to see the danger in too much Government, they become the danger.
    (Original quote by me)

If we lose the Second Amendment it is only a matter of time before we lose the First Amendment, then the Fourth Amendment and then it is all downhill from there ...

I've OCed and didn't scare the horses or stampede the women!

It's too late to train when you are in the middle of a gunfight ... (me)

IDPA SSP/MM

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Welcome to the site Emily!
    Love your stuff.

Welcome to OCDO, Emily.

I assume you've been reading this forum for a while. You'll find that we're an independent minded bunch who often disagree with each other, but with the ultimate objective of enhancing 2A rights.

We'll look forward to seeing you on Lobby Day! (We'll be the ones wearing GSL Stickers and carrying guns!) You'll even meet DJEEPER, a dapper young man who dresses like a member of the cast of Downton Abbey, except for the AR-15 pistol slung over his shoulder.

I'm sure someone in your area will host an OCDO (Open Carry Dining Out) event. We've done several notable ones down here in Tidewater, and even had Congressman Wittman as our guest. (The other OCDO = Open Carry Dot Org) You'll want to attend.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

From South of the James

Welcome aboard. Loved your work. The Door is always open for you to join us at a weekly breakfast or the monthly dinners here in Richmond.

Thats awesome! I already have a copy of her book (a pre-ordered autographed copy. It was delivered last Friday ).

Two of my kids are featured in the thumbnail pictures inside the book. (Should've been three.... not sure what happened to the third one... )

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    I love Emily's stance on guns. Some other things, notsomuch, but que sera sera.

Let's get her open carrying to some of our events!
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Emily has just joined our ranks - user name emilymiller Let's give her a great big Virginia welcome...
    Non-Virginians can welcome her too!

Banned
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...-ownership-dc/

Above article for what she had to do to get her gun.

Of course, the "safety course" requirement is not constitutional.
    And I don't see a vision test as being constitutional either.
    Together with the rest of it. All meant to keep guns out of slaves' hands.

Of course her motive in buying a gun is for protection against criminal activity from what I have read.
    And, of course, her gun offers only some protection in her home, not outside the home. Its not the reason why I own but it is a reason suitable under the 2nd amendment (so the courts say~not that this matters).

And she has $$$$ ... she can live where ever she chooses.

So why has Emily not moved out of DC ? It surely is a cesspool. Its like saying "I love Detroit!"

We should all abandon the serious problems to those that would otherwise be left behind.

Don't work to right the wrongs from the inside - leave quickly - do it now!

Where Emily chooses to live and work is nobody's business but her own.

I am thankful she is there - she is a beacon of hope.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-03-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Double post

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

Of course, the "safety course" requirement is not constitutional.
    And I don't see a vision test as being constitutional either.
    Together with the rest of it. All meant to keep guns out of slaves' hands.

Of course her motive in buying a gun is for protection against criminal activity from what I have read.
    And, of course, her gun offers only some protection in her home, not outside the home. Its not the reason why I own but it is a reason suitable under the 2nd amendment (so the courts say~not that this matters).

So why has Emily not moved out of DC ? It surely is a cesspool. Its like saying "I love Detroit!"
    Emily chooses to live in DC -- after all, it's a beautiful city offering some of the best cultural advantages. Selfishly, I hope that she continues to be a DC resident in order to "fight the good fight" from inside the belly of the beast. When she and others are ultimately successful, this proud Virginian will be able to cross the river without fear of being molested or arrested for exercising my self-defense rights. Rather than suggesting that she cut and run to a gun-friendlier clime, she should be applauded and supported for staying on the front lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Emily has just joined our ranks - user name emilymiller Let's give her a great big Virginia welcome. [snip]
    Welcome to OCDO, Ms. Miller! Know that you have many friends across the river, here in the Commonwealth. I cannot speak for the various organizations of which I am a member, but I know that you will be welcome to visit any of the events in NoVA.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Emily chooses to live in DC -- after all, it's a beautiful city offering some of the best cultural advantages. Selfishly, I hope that she continues to be a DC resident in order to "fight the good fight" from inside the belly of the beast. When she and others are ultimately successful, this proud Virginian will be able to cross the river without fear of being molested or arrested for exercising my self-defense rights. Rather than suggesting that she cut and run to a gun-friendlier clime, she should be applauded and supported for staying on the front lines.
    Well, I can speak from personal experience, being from Chicago. I once moved into a neighborhood where I discovered that crime was rampant ~ what did I do? I moved the heck out of that crappy neighborhood into a different area. Even if I had the right to carry, I still would have moved.

So, I'm wondering why she did not move to VA .. a 10 min train ride to all those cultural advantages? If she was concerned for her personal safety, that is. I choose to move and was wondering why she did not.

I appreciate your response but it is, after all, your response.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Welcome aboard, Emily!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Thank you for all that you do, Emily. It was great to hear your story at the VCDL meeting in Annandale, Va. a few of months ago. I wish you continued success!

Welcome aboard, Emily!

Well, I can speak from personal experience, being from Chicago. I once moved into a neighborhood where I discovered that crime was rampant ~ what did I do? I moved the heck out of that crappy neighborhood into a different area. Even if I had the right to carry, I still would have moved.

So, I'm wondering why she did not move to VA .. a 10 min train ride to all those cultural advantages? If she was concerned for her personal safety, that is. I choose to move and was wondering why she did not.

I appreciate your response but it is, after all, your response.
    Yep, it was my response, and heartfelt.

The difference in your two situations is that she's not fighting crime, she's fighting the political structure that denies her the right of self-defense outside her home. She has chosen to fight that political structure as a citizen within their jurisdiction, and for that I have the utmost respect.

I also give her props for being brave enough to stay and help right a wrong. Something you could have done ... but didn't.
    Last edited by JamesCanby; 09-03-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Welcome from a fan from TN, Emily! Keep fighting the good fight.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

[...]

You post this as if the majority of us here have not already been following along from the very beginning.

While she is certainly an up-and-coming media personality, all that is very recent. I assure you, reporters that have not yet won Pulitzer prizes don't have the means to live wherever they want. I know a couple local newspaper reporters, and they live in small houses and take on roommates, just to afford the rent. Have you not seen the financial problems of the print news industry lately?

If you had been following along with the rest of us, you would know that she has written about her decision to stay in DC, and she chooses to not run away from the problem, but to stay and fix it. She has much more determination than I do, and than many of us here who would just give up and leave. That takes a special kind of hero.

DC is nothing like Detroit. Detroit is a relative waste-land devoid of culture and character, at least the kind of character that you would want to be around. DC has local government problems, yes, but it is one of the culture centers of the country, and is certainly the political center. It's the place of power. Many good people live there for those reasons and Emily Miller is to be commended for staying and fighting to make DC a better place for them to live.

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 09-03-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    You post this as if the majority of us here have not already been following along from the very beginning.

While she is certainly an up-and-coming media personality, all that is very recent. I assure you, reporters that have not yet won Pulitzer prizes don't have the means to live wherever they want. I know a couple local newspaper reporters, and they live in small houses and take on roommates, just to afford the rent. Have you not seen the financial problems of the print news industry lately?

If you had been following along with the rest of us, you would know that she has written about her decision to stay in DC, and she chooses to not run away from the problem, but to stay and fix it. She has much more determination than I do, and than many of us here who would just give up and leave. That takes a special kind of hero.

DC is nothing like Detroit. Detroit is a relative waste-land devoid of culture and character, at least the kind of character that you would want to be around. DC has local government problems, yes, but it is one of the culture centers of the country, and is certainly the political center. It's the place of power. Many good people live there for those reasons and Emily Miller is to be commended for staying and fighting to make DC a better place for them to live.

TFred
    Thanks, TFred ... I wish I had said that as well as you did.

surprised

Will be surprised to ever see a post from her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast