• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Emily Miller - newest member on OCDO

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Emily has just joined our ranks - user name emilymiller Let's give her a great big Virginia welcome.

Most of you will recognize her from her hard hitting tenacious approach in acquiring her permit in Washington D.C. She started as a neophyte with no past experience on which to draw and evolved as a leading authority on the subject.

After her much read articles in the Washington Times on the trials and tribulations of getting her permit, she did not rest on her laurels - now she has written a highly acclaimed book Emily Gets Her Gun:....But Obama Wants To Take Yours. Soon to be available - think that 9/3 is the release date. The pre-release autographed sales will presumably end tomorrow.
http://www.amazon.com/Emily-Gets-Her-Gun-But/dp/1621571920

Bio from the above link.

Emily Miller is senior editor of the opinion pages at The Washington Times. She appears regularly on Fox News, CNN, and CNBC. She was awarded the prestigious Institute on Political Journalism’s Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting. Miller was previously senior editor of Human Events, a columnist for AOL’s Politics Daily, associate producer at ABC News, and desk assistant at NBC News. She also served as deputy press secretary at the U.S. Department of State in the administration of President George W. Bush, after being a press secretary on Capitol Hill. A Baltimore native, Miller is a cum laude graduate of Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service.

Last edited:

jsfrederick

That's GREAT news. I love reading her stuff. Glad she exposed the ridiculous process that DC makes it's oppressed citizens go through to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights.

Welcome Emily!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ironside

Welcome Aboard

Very happy to welcome Emily to the forum. I watched her series here in Florida and applaud her success. I hope to see her on the board.

2a4all

Welcome to OCDO, Emily.:rolleyes:

I assume you've been reading this forum for a while. You'll find that we're an independent minded bunch who often disagree with each other, but with the ultimate objective of enhancing 2A rights.

We'll look forward to seeing you on Lobby Day! (We'll be the ones wearing GSL Stickers and carrying guns!) You'll even meet DJEEPER, a dapper young man who dresses like a member of the cast of Downton Abbey, except for the AR-15 pistol slung over his shoulder.

I'm sure someone in your area will host an OCDO (Open Carry Dining Out) event. We've done several notable ones down here in Tidewater, and even had Congressman Wittman as our guest. (The other OCDO = Open Carry Dot Org) You'll want to attend.

va_tazdad

From South of the James

Welcome aboard. Loved your work. The Door is always open for you to join us at a weekly breakfast or the monthly dinners here in Richmond.

Blk97F150

Thats awesome! I already have a copy of her book (a pre-ordered autographed copy. It was delivered last Friday :banana: ).

Two of my kids are featured in the thumbnail pictures inside the book. :cool: (Should've been three.... not sure what happened to the third one... :confused: )

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I love Emily's stance on guns. Some other things, notsomuch, but que sera sera.

Let's get her open carrying to some of our events!

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/14/miller-steps-gun-ownership-dc/

Above article for what she had to do to get her gun.

Of course, the "safety course" requirement is not constitutional.
And I don't see a vision test as being constitutional either.
Together with the rest of it. All meant to keep guns out of slaves' hands.

Of course her motive in buying a gun is for protection against criminal activity from what I have read.
And, of course, her gun offers only some protection in her home, not outside the home. Its not the reason why I own but it is a reason suitable under the 2nd amendment (so the courts say~not that this matters).

And she has $$$$ ... she can live where ever she chooses.

So why has Emily not moved out of DC ? It surely is a cesspool. Its like saying "I love Detroit!"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We should all abandon the serious problems to those that would otherwise be left behind.

Don't work to right the wrongs from the inside - leave quickly - do it now! :eek:

Where Emily chooses to live and work is nobody's business but her own.

I am thankful she is there - she is a beacon of hope.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/14/miller-steps-gun-ownership-dc/

Above article for what she had to do to get her gun.

Of course, the "safety course" requirement is not constitutional.
And I don't see a vision test as being constitutional either.
Together with the rest of it. All meant to keep guns out of slaves' hands.

Of course her motive in buying a gun is for protection against criminal activity from what I have read.
And, of course, her gun offers only some protection in her home, not outside the home. Its not the reason why I own but it is a reason suitable under the 2nd amendment (so the courts say~not that this matters).

And she has $$$$ ... she can live where ever she chooses.

So why has Emily not moved out of DC ? It surely is a cesspool. Its like saying "I love Detroit!"

Emily chooses to live in DC -- after all, it's a beautiful city offering some of the best cultural advantages. Selfishly, I hope that she continues to be a DC resident in order to "fight the good fight" from inside the belly of the beast. When she and others are ultimately successful, this proud Virginian will be able to cross the river without fear of being molested or arrested for exercising my self-defense rights. Rather than suggesting that she cut and run to a gun-friendlier clime, she should be applauded and supported for staying on the front lines.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Emily has just joined our ranks - user name emilymiller Let's give her a great big Virginia welcome. [snip]

Welcome to OCDO, Ms. Miller! Know that you have many friends across the river, here in the Commonwealth. I cannot speak for the various organizations of which I am a member, but I know that you will be welcome to visit any of the events in NoVA.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Emily chooses to live in DC -- after all, it's a beautiful city offering some of the best cultural advantages. Selfishly, I hope that she continues to be a DC resident in order to "fight the good fight" from inside the belly of the beast. When she and others are ultimately successful, this proud Virginian will be able to cross the river without fear of being molested or arrested for exercising my self-defense rights. Rather than suggesting that she cut and run to a gun-friendlier clime, she should be applauded and supported for staying on the front lines.

Well, I can speak from personal experience, being from Chicago. I once moved into a neighborhood where I discovered that crime was rampant ~ what did I do? I moved the heck out of that crappy neighborhood into a different area. Even if I had the right to carry, I still would have moved.

So, I'm wondering why she did not move to VA .. a 10 min train ride to all those cultural advantages? If she was concerned for her personal safety, that is. I choose to move and was wondering why she did not.

I appreciate your response but it is, after all, your response.

Arma1911

Thank you for all that you do, Emily. It was great to hear your story at the VCDL meeting in Annandale, Va. a few of months ago. I wish you continued success!