Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cop wont answer if knife is legal or illegal

cop wont answer if knife is legal or illegal

A man finds a folding knife on the street. He takes it to the police station to ask if it is legal to possess the knife under California law. He speaks with a Sargeant who refuses to answer his question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nufCl3Vbl8

Re: cop wont answer if knife is legal or illegal

Sadly, California is as nutty with their knife laws as they are with their firearm laws. Here in AZ people can carry any knife they want. We have to remember where all weapons control law comes from. It's not a true concern for public saftey, it is simply all about control. Put another way, in the inner city a law abiding citizen may not be able to afford a pistol (if CA law did allow it to be carried).

The objective being control, those in power then make one of the most useful self defense tools - a knife, (one of any useful size) illegal to be carried. Why? If you make defense illegal then you have a monopoly. It's a win-win for those in power. If you cannot defend yourself, you must rely on your masters for defense. If you take responsibility for your defense on the street, and get caught - those who have made you defenseless, will jail you for defending yourself. They win no matter what.

ETA- the system makes sure job security is their priority above all - cops/DA's/lawyers/judges/jailers/prison food contractor/suppliers of all things including the coronor all due well in the current system. Only losers ?- Those who must depend on the "system" for their safety.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 09-03-2013 at 05:44 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quick follow-up. It is my understading that CA has no knife preemption in place. This means that while CA state has no restriction on blade length of "CA legal" carry knives, any local city can pass whatever knife law they want. This means that what may be perfectly legal in one city, may get you tossed in jail in the next city over.
    http://zknives.com/knives/articles/l...nifelaws.shtml
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDRGEV52yt4

Found this on youtube. If this is correct - Gardena, CA considers any knife over (2) inches in length illegal under their ordinances. The knife you found looked to be slightly longer, so if I were you, I would not carry it on my person in their jurisdiction. Atleast not until you consult with a lawyer. Just plan silly. I carry a foot long bowie knife at times. Wild boars move fast, if I'm pinned where I can't shoot (no clear shot/gun hand has tusk in it etc.. ) - maybe I can carve with my other hand? Better to have and not need vs. need and not have.

The problem with the person in the video is that the TIB are already onto who he is. They are aware of his activism and have either been ordered not to interact with this individual, or are just shutting up. I dont really see anything wrong with the video, except for the fact that a citzen is asking a cop for advice.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    The problem with the person in the video is that the TIB are already onto who he is. They are aware of his activism and have either been ordered not to interact with this individual, or are just shutting up. I dont really see anything wrong with the video, except for the fact that a citzen is asking a cop for advice.
    +1
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member
    As annoying, self-important, and narcissistic as he is, it occurs to me that if every precinct in the country had about five of him, the policing industry would be a lot better behaved.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

1. Nobody in California actually knows what any of the laws are. (This includes lawyers, outside their necessarily narrow specialities.) I determined this while living there for 6 years.

2. Asking the police for legal advice is so inherently illogical as to practically be a non-sequitur (would you approach a bum expecting a dissertation on quantum physics?). It's also a bad idea.
    Last edited by marshaul; 09-03-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    As annoying, self-important, and narcissistic as he is, it occurs to me that if every precinct in the country had about five of him, the policing industry would be a lot better behaved.
    So the OP is Cap? California armless Patriot? Got it.

I agree with your point too. Police may not like guys like him, but they keep police thinking & that's a good start.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    So the OP is Cap? California armless Patriot? Got it.

I agree with your point too. Police may not like guys like him, but they keep police thinking & that's a good start.
    Police thinking huh ..... they are not supposed to think.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    SNIP

2. Asking the police for legal advice is so inherently illogical as to practically be a non-sequitur (would you approach a bum expecting a dissertation on quantum physics?). It's also a bad idea.
    Looks like a couple of people caught this... asking cops for ANY KIND of advice is stupid.

Banned
    Don't ask the police what the law is.

Simple as that.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    2 things I'll ask a cop for.

First, outside the context of any confrontation, I'll ask a cop how he would respond in a hypothetical situation. What good does this do? Well, maybe none, but it might help me understand what to expect should I flex certain rights, and it also might help them draw rational conclusions about certain scenarios which might lead them to making more rational decisions should those situations arise. If they don't think about it until it happens (such as a guy walking around with a shotgun on a sling) they may be more reactionary and less rational about it. If they've been posed with the situation before hand, albeit hypothetically, they may fall back to those previous thoughts on the subject that were free of emotion, adrenaline and tension.

Second, from police I know personally, I'll be glad to let them train me on tactical shooting or self defense manoeuvres. I'll take any training from them they they'll give me. Sure, some of them couldn't shoot the broad side of a barn, but some are excellent marksmen and have a lot to teach.

Sorry I didn't watch the video, but it doesn't surprise me that he wouldn't answer. Are you sure that he even knew the answer himself? I would think that it's more than just a possibility that he wasn't really trying to be a jerk, he may just have not had a clue as to the answer to the question and didn't want to look like an idiot on camera...

Banned
    2 things I ask a cop:

1) why you on my land ?

2) well?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    +1 Not a fan of him personally but think his copfrontations had some merit....( did I just invent a new word?)
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned
    Solution is sooo simple.

Your found it, so no big whoop if you give it away, right?

So give it to a kid of one of the cops and then call the cops on him.

Situation solved --

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    +1 Not a fan of him personally but think his copfrontations had some merit....( did I just invent a new word?)
    Yes, you did! I love it.

"I was copfronted last night by a Springfield Township officer."

"My copfrontation was not consensual."

Oh, yessss. That's a good one.

I was copfronted on the way to work two weeks ago. I try to avoid copfrontation whenever possible.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 09-05-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: correct spelling of copfrontation

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    I was copfronted on the way to work two weeks ago. I try to avoid copfrontation whenever possible.
    I was confronted yesterday ... I just growled at him as he chased me around a public building. I guess I still got it !

Banned
    Audio, video, or it didn't happen.

More blustering BS.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Audio, video, or it didn't happen.

More blustering BS.
    hahah .. have documentation .... not showing YOU ... maybe you should follow me around and chronicle my life ..likely be pretty bored. You get your own pizza.

Banned

I guess it didn't happen. This troll sure brags on a lot of stuff, but NEVER backs up his bluster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Banned
    I guess it didn't happen. This troll sure brags on a lot of stuff, but NEVER backs up his bluster.

<o>
    As with all your "guesses" you are incorrect. Stop guessing, you are not good at it.

Banned

Back up your BS bluster, and folks might just believe you now and then.

<o>

Banned
    Back up your BS bluster, and folks might just believe you now and then.

<o>
    dude, I don't run around with recording devices that make evidence that could be used against me in court; others are free to do so but I have not seen any postings here where such recordings by members actually helped them in court -- just the opposite --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast