• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cop wont answer if knife is legal or illegal

FreeInAZ

Sadly, California is as nutty with their knife laws as they are with their firearm laws. Here in AZ people can carry any knife they want. We have to remember where all weapons control law comes from. It's not a true concern for public saftey, it is simply all about control. Put another way, in the inner city a law abiding citizen may not be able to afford a pistol (if CA law did allow it to be carried).

The objective being control, those in power then make one of the most useful self defense tools - a knife, (one of any useful size) illegal to be carried. Why? If you make defense illegal then you have a monopoly. It's a win-win for those in power. If you cannot defend yourself, you must rely on your masters for defense. If you take responsibility for your defense on the street, and get caught - those who have made you defenseless, will jail you for defending yourself. They win no matter what. :(

ETA- the system makes sure job security is their priority above all - cops/DA's/lawyers/judges/jailers/prison food contractor/suppliers of all things including the coronor all due well in the current system. Only losers ?- Those who must depend on the "system" for their safety. :eek:

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Quick follow-up. It is my understading that CA has no knife preemption in place. This means that while CA state has no restriction on blade length of "CA legal" carry knives, any local city can pass whatever knife law they want. This means that what may be perfectly legal in one city, may get you tossed in jail in the next city over.:eek:
http://zknives.com/knives/articles/law/caknifelaws.shtml

FreeInAZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDRGEV52yt4

Found this on youtube. If this is correct - Gardena, CA considers any knife over (2) inches in length illegal under their ordinances. :( The knife you found looked to be slightly longer, so if I were you, I would not carry it on my person in their jurisdiction. Atleast not until you consult with a lawyer. Just plan silly. I carry a foot long bowie knife at times. Wild boars move fast, if I'm pinned where I can't shoot (no clear shot/gun hand has tusk in it etc.. ) - maybe I can carve with my other hand? Better to have and not need vs. need and not have.

Tucker6900

The problem with the person in the video is that the TIB are already onto who he is. They are aware of his activism and have either been ordered not to interact with this individual, or are just shutting up. I dont really see anything wrong with the video, except for the fact that a citzen is asking a cop for advice.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The problem with the person in the video is that the TIB are already onto who he is. They are aware of his activism and have either been ordered not to interact with this individual, or are just shutting up. I dont really see anything wrong with the video, except for the fact that a citzen is asking a cop for advice.

+1

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
As annoying, self-important, and narcissistic as he is, it occurs to me that if every precinct in the country had about five of him, the policing industry would be a lot better behaved.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
1. Nobody in California actually knows what any of the laws are. (This includes lawyers, outside their necessarily narrow specialities.) I determined this while living there for 6 years.

2. Asking the police for legal advice is so inherently illogical as to practically be a non-sequitur (would you approach a bum expecting a dissertation on quantum physics?). It's also a bad idea.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

As annoying, self-important, and narcissistic as he is, it occurs to me that if every precinct in the country had about five of him, the policing industry would be a lot better behaved.

So the OP is Cap? California armless Patriot? Got it. ;)

I agree with your point too. Police may not like guys like him, but they keep police thinking & that's a good start. :D

georg jetson

SNIP

2. Asking the police for legal advice is so inherently illogical as to practically be a non-sequitur (would you approach a bum expecting a dissertation on quantum physics?). It's also a bad idea.

Looks like a couple of people caught this... asking cops for ANY KIND of advice is stupid.

stealthyeliminator

2 things I'll ask a cop for.

First, outside the context of any confrontation, I'll ask a cop how he would respond in a hypothetical situation. What good does this do? Well, maybe none, but it might help me understand what to expect should I flex certain rights, and it also might help them draw rational conclusions about certain scenarios which might lead them to making more rational decisions should those situations arise. If they don't think about it until it happens (such as a guy walking around with a shotgun on a sling) they may be more reactionary and less rational about it. If they've been posed with the situation before hand, albeit hypothetically, they may fall back to those previous thoughts on the subject that were free of emotion, adrenaline and tension.

Second, from police I know personally, I'll be glad to let them train me on tactical shooting or self defense manoeuvres. I'll take any training from them they they'll give me. Sure, some of them couldn't shoot the broad side of a barn, but some are excellent marksmen and have a lot to teach.

Sorry I didn't watch the video, but it doesn't surprise me that he wouldn't answer. Are you sure that he even knew the answer himself? I would think that it's more than just a possibility that he wasn't really trying to be a jerk, he may just have not had a clue as to the answer to the question and didn't want to look like an idiot on camera...

sudden valley gunner

+1 Not a fan of him personally but think his copfrontations had some merit....( did I just invent a new word?)

davidmcbeth

Banned
Solution is sooo simple.

Your found it, so no big whoop if you give it away, right?

So give it to a kid of one of the cops and then call the cops on him.

Situation solved --