Thread: I'd be a cop but I be not too stupid ... ct OKs not allowing smart folks from copness

Banned

I'd be a cop but I be not too stupid ... ct OKs not allowing smart folks from copness

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-b...story?id=95836

A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city

Ya can't make this stuff up ...

I lived in that city when this occurred, 13 years ago. They were a laughing stock for quite some time,

Re: I'd be a cop but I be not too stupid ... ct OKs not allowing smart folks

IIRC - the police "logic" behind this policy was "a very smart person will become bored too easily with the job."

Translated = We don't want people who can think critically, we just want those who will just follow orders, no questions asked. History is full of folks who just followed orders. Last large group of people who got together and just followed orders....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGSBF9JPVXw
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Yeah, they had to dig deep for this one - "Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops N E W L O N D O N, Conn., Sept. 8, 2000"

The article incorrectly notes, "the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average." The standard deviation of IQ is defined as 15 points, anything less falls into the normal variation noise. Charles Murray and Richard Herrnstein' s The Bell Curve has an appendix, as I recall, that has a good explanation of the descriptive statistics of IQ. The book is 850 pages, putting it out of the reach of all but the most determined reader.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    IIRC - the police "logic" behind this policy was "a very smart person will become bored too easily with the job."

Translated = We don't want people who can think critically, we just want those who will just follow orders, no questions asked. History is full of folks who just followed orders. Last large group of people who got together and just followed orders....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGSBF9JPVXw
    Nor do we want to spend money training you so that at the first opportunity for advancement you will try jumping to another agency just because they have an opening and we don't. While none of the PDs/SOs around me are what I'd call "good" some are better than others at least for officer pay. Which is why their rosters are pretty much always full and the surrounding agencies are left hiring those the 'good" agency would not take. Get that experience under your belt without tons of complaints or lawsuits and you might have a better chance at the advanced slot than a more junior officer already in the "good" agency.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit