Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: 6 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at Old Dominion University

  1. #1
    Regular Member Esanders2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    576

    6 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at Old Dominion University

    From the ODU Police Chief:

    "The Norfolk Police department has advised they are investigating a robbery that was reported to have occurred at approximately 1 a.m. Monday, Sept. 2 at 42nd Street at Powhatan Avenue near the LR Hill sports complex.

    Six students traveling on foot were approached by four males, one who was armed with a handgun. Each student had their wallets and Iphones taken. The students were not injured during this robbery. The suspects fled on foot north on Powhatan towards the campus.

    Suspects are described as:

    1. Black Male, light skin, dreadlocks, approximately 5-10 in height.
    2. Black Male, light skin, dreadlocks, approximately 5-10, last scene wearing a tank top, jeans.
    3. Black Male, dark skin, with short hair.
    4. Black Male, no further description is available.

    Members of the ODU community are reminded to take the following safety precautions:

    Use the university shuttle and Saferide service,
    Avoid the over consumption of alcohol as it impairs your awareness,
    Avoid carrying cash and other valuables,
    Activate the tracking software on iPhones and other smartphones.

    The Old Dominion University Police Department has increased patrols in the areas bordering the campus. The ODU police investigators are working with Norfolk Police to follow all available leads.

    If you have seen these individuals or have any information to aid investigators contact the Old Dominion University Police at 683-4000. "


    I thought ODU was a gun free zone? How could this happen? /sarcasm

    I contacted my VA Senator, Jeffrey L. McWaters, to voice my concern. I spoke with a member of his staff and explained that I was concerned about the growing crime at ODU. I also said my piece on how GFZs don't work, and how we should allow lawful firearms to be carried at ODU. She informed me that there were no universities in VA that allowed carry, and that after VA Tech, the Governor called a commission to see what should be done. (I think we all know how that turned out) I asked for an email follow-up, asking if the Senator would either introduce or support legislation allowing lawful carry of firearms.

    While I had his office on the phone, I also voiced my support for constitutional carry.

    I will follow up here as a receive replies from his office.
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

  2. #2
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    From the ODU Police Chief:

    "The Norfolk Police department has advised they are investigating a robbery that was reported to have occurred at approximately 1 a.m. Monday, Sept. 2 at 42nd Street at Powhatan Avenue near the LR Hill sports complex.

    Six students traveling on foot were approached by four males, one who was armed with a handgun. Each student had their wallets and Iphones taken. The students were not injured during this robbery. The suspects fled on foot north on Powhatan towards the campus.

    Suspects are described as:

    1. Black Male, light skin, dreadlocks, approximately 5-10 in height.
    2. Black Male, light skin, dreadlocks, approximately 5-10, last scene wearing a tank top, jeans.
    3. Black Male, dark skin, with short hair.
    4. Black Male, no further description is available.

    Members of the ODU community are reminded to take the following safety precautions:

    Use the university shuttle and Saferide service,
    Avoid the over consumption of alcohol as it impairs your awareness,
    Avoid carrying cash and other valuables,
    Activate the tracking software on iPhones and other smartphones.

    The Old Dominion University Police Department has increased patrols in the areas bordering the campus. The ODU police investigators are working with Norfolk Police to follow all available leads.

    If you have seen these individuals or have any information to aid investigators contact the Old Dominion University Police at 683-4000. "


    I thought ODU was a gun free zone? How could this happen? /sarcasm

    I contacted my VA Senator, Jeffrey L. McWaters, to voice my concern. I spoke with a member of his staff and explained that I was concerned about the growing crime at ODU. I also said my piece on how GFZs don't work, and how we should allow lawful firearms to be carried at ODU. She informed me that there were no universities in VA that allowed carry, and that after VA Tech, the Governor called a commission to see what should be done. (I think we all know how that turned out) I asked for an email follow-up, asking if the Senator would either introduce or support legislation allowing lawful carry of firearms.

    While I had his office on the phone, I also voiced my support for constitutional carry.

    I will follow up here as a receive replies from his office.
    This is obviously false as the University is a gun free zone, there is no way a bad guy would break the law and bring a pistol on school grounds.....

  3. #3
    Regular Member Esanders2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    This is obviously false as the University is a gun free zone, there is no way a bad guy would break the law and bring a pistol on school grounds.....
    That's what I thought at first too, but it seems that the system might have a flaw. I think it might have something to do with the fact that criminals don't follow laws, but my hypothesis is still in the working stages...
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

  4. #4
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    That's what I thought at first too, but it seems that the system might have a flaw. I think it might have something to do with the fact that criminals don't follow laws, but my hypothesis is still in the working stages...
    That is a good theory but unless you can come up with some data showing a history of criminals breaking the law the liberals won't believe your theory.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    Ya just gotta lovbe "staffers" that don't know squat.

    "I contacted my VA Senator, Jeffrey L. McWaters, to voice my concern. I spoke with a member of his staff and explained that I was concerned about the growing crime at ODU. I also said my piece on how GFZs don't work, and how we should allow lawful firearms to be carried at ODU. She informed me that there were no universities in VA that allowed carry, and that after VA Tech, the Governor called a commission to see what should be done. (I think we all know how that turned out) I asked for an email follow-up, asking if the Senator would either introduce or support legislation allowing lawful carry of firearms."

    Yet another uneducated fool that thinks the GFZs actually work. Bet her outlook would change if SHE were the victim.

    I just love the young inexperienced dreamers that politicians hire to act as their mouthpiece so as to avoid actually making the same stupid comments themselves.

    Kind of like NObama having Idiot Joe as VP. He gets to make all the dumb statements so NObama can say he is only the VP, not a voice of authority (or knowledge).

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,201
    Your senator is dead wrong. Liberty University here in Lynchburg, with something in excess of 12,000 resident students and 100,000 online students has had a student firearm carrying program in place for a couple years now. The university has their own firearm carry permitting program for students, faculty, and staff who can carry nearly anywhere on campus and visitors are freely allowed to carry as well. From what I understand carry is generally limited to concealed carry for those associated with the school, but I never had an issue OCing on the rare chance I was ever up there as a visitor. The program was restricted to allowing only faculty and staff to carry in buildings at first, but now students and visitors may freely carry in buildings as well.

    I'd be tempted to ask (while recording at least audio) if Liberty U students were just generally better people than the average ODU student since Liberty has managed to make their program work just fine so far. Of course this will put the senator in a spot to see just what they think of the common person.
    Last edited by jmelvin; 09-03-2013 at 07:28 PM.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    They did not even get a chance to blow their whistles ! What !

    They are learning much at the school....

  8. #8
    Regular Member USNA69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    They did not even get a chance to blow their whistles ! What !

    They are learning much at the school....
    ... must not have been close to a "Blue Box" to call for help. Too bad.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by USNA69 View Post
    ... must not have been close to a "Blue Box" to call for help. Too bad.
    Blue dress? Oh no, blue box ... like the TARDIS ... whirr whirr whirr

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,614
    They were traveling in a group as well - known to be a recommendation of GFZ Police Chiefs.

    In this case is was just another concentration of victims supplied by your local school administration.

    The RMA (Robbery and Muggers Association) thanks them
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-03-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: fixed it
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    They were traveling in a group as well - known to be a recommendation of GFZ Police Chiefs.

    In this case is was just another concentration of victims supplied by your local school administration.

    The RMA (Robbery and Muggers Association) thanks them
    One stop shopping eh? Wunderbar !

  12. #12
    Regular Member JohnM15A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    234
    They should have peed their pants...

  13. #13
    Regular Member Esanders2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    576

    6 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at Old Dominion University

    I wonder what will happen if I ever get robbed on campus? Hmmmm...
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

  14. #14
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    They were traveling in a group as well - known to be a recommendation of GFZ Police Chiefs.

    In this case is was just another concentration of victims supplied by your local school administration.

    The RMA (Robbery and Muggers Association) thanks them
    It is easier to shot fish in a barrel if they are all "schooled" together.....now we know why they call a group of fish a school.

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    "I contacted my VA Senator, Jeffrey L. McWaters, to voice my concern. I spoke with a member of his staff and explained that I was concerned about the growing crime at ODU. I also said my piece on how GFZs don't work, and how we should allow lawful firearms to be carried at ODU. She informed me that there were no universities in VA that allowed carry, and that after VA Tech, the Governor called a commission to see what should be done. (I think we all know how that turned out) I asked for an email follow-up, asking if the Senator would either introduce or support legislation allowing lawful carry of firearms."

    Yet another uneducated fool that thinks the GFZs actually work. Bet her outlook would change if SHE were the victim.

    I just love the young inexperienced dreamers that politicians hire to act as their mouthpiece so as to avoid actually making the same stupid comments themselves.

    Kind of like NObama having Idiot Joe as VP. He gets to make all the dumb statements so NObama can say he is only the VP, not a voice of authority (or knowledge).
    I'm betting that a high percentage of them enjoy the headiness of being close to power.

    If they were all that much dreamers and concerned about their fellow man, they'd eschew anything to do with ruling their fellows without their fellows' individual express consent.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  16. #16
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I'm betting that a high percentage of them enjoy the headiness of being close to power.

    If they were all that much dreamers and concerned about their fellow man, they'd eschew anything to do with ruling their fellows without their fellows' individual express consent.
    You forget that this generation have had 12 years of pimary indoctornation (k-12 school) and then 2-4 more years of under-grad liberal theories before becoming an intern.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Esanders2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    You forget that this generation have had 12 years of pimary indoctornation (k-12 school) and then 2-4 more years of under-grad liberal theories before becoming an intern.
    For what it is worth, so far, I have not really encountered liberal indoctrination. I have had professors that were VERY obviously liberal, but they at least graded my work on it's merits, not content. For example, my second year english prof was openly liberal, but still gave me a well deserved A on a paper I wrote denouncing further gun control laws.
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

  18. #18
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    For what it is worth, so far, I have not really encountered liberal indoctrination. I have had professors that were VERY obviously liberal, but they at least graded my work on it's merits, not content. For example, my second year english prof was openly liberal, but still gave me a well deserved A on a paper I wrote denouncing further gun control laws.
    You haven't been to Berkley I presume....lol

  19. #19
    Regular Member Esanders2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    576

    6 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at Old Dominion University

    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    You haven't been to Berkley I presume....lol
    Nope. I go to odu
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    Or

    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    You haven't been to Berkley I presume....lol
    Columbia, Harvard, Princeton, Boston College, MIT, USC, UCLA, VCU, Longwood............the list goes on and on and on.......

  21. #21
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,614
    Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    Columbia, Harvard, Princeton, Boston College, MIT, USC, UCLA, VCU, Longwood............the list goes on and on and on.......
    You missed Christopher Newport
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-04-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    242

    Wink

    Hey Doc! K-12 = 13 years. Musta gone to one of dem dere public schools.


  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,614
    Quote Originally Posted by hafnhaf View Post
    Hey Doc! K-12 = 13 years. Musta gone to one of dem dere public schools.

    Nah - K is pre-indoctrination indoctrination
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Nah - K is pre-indoctrination indoctrination
    Yep K is more to get the parents use to the idea of the public school system's attempt to turn all the children into little socialists. The only thing preventing it is the parents. When the parents don't care or the child is missing a parent or two it is easier to convert them.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    242
    so then pre-school is pre-pre-indoctrination indoctrination? or pre-indoctrination indoctrination indoctrination. i'm so confused!!! and does that make it 12, 13, or 14 years?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •