Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Open Carrying This Weekend

First Time Open Carrying This Weekend

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum and to the state of Washington. I moved here from Los Angeles, CA a little over a month ago. I have been a firearms enthusiast for about 10 years now but never was able to truly practice my rights in California. I am overjoyed to be a resident of this beautiful state.

Although I am required to be a resident for at least 90 days before I can apply for my CPL, there appears to be no waiting period required to open carry. Well, this weekend was my first time carrying openly and it felt great. My girlfriend and I went for a hike on Sunday at Wallace Falls off of Highway 2. I was hesitant at first to carry, but a gentleman who parked in front of me changed my mind. The first thing he did was attach his holstered pistol to his side.

Walking around and hiking felt as natural as all of the other times I've hiked, although this time I was very aware of my surroundings and the people I passed on the trail. My girlfriend said she was a little embarassed and said she thought I was trying to be macho. I did get a few looks from other hikers and I felt like people went silent as they passed me. One guy said "I was going to wear mine, man, but I didn't want to scare any kids or anything". I smiled and told him that he definitely should next time.

Not everything went so smoothly, though. I did have a little 'incident' that I was pretty embarassed about. You see, it was unexpectedly hot and humid on Sunday so I was constantly adjusting my shirt. This sort of caused my holster to move around a bit requiring that I move it back to my side (it's a cheap cloth holster and it kept wandering towards my rear. I'm upgrading soon). Anyway, I guess one of the times I moved my holster I must have hit the mag release because we were walking and out of nowhere I hear a thud. I looked back and my loaded magazine was lying on the trail. Surprisingly my girlfriend just pointed it out and kept going. I thought she would freak or give me a hard time about it. Luckily nobody was around but man I was embarassed. Oh well, lesson learned.

So yeah that was my first time carrying and overall I would say it was a major success and boost to confidence. I'll be lurking the forums looking for tips and just get a better understanding of methods more experienced carriers use. I look forward to becoming a member of this great community!

Get a good quality holster with retention. AND>.................Welcome to the freedom.

Wallace Falls is a good hike. I have made it a few times while OCing. Keep Calm and Carry On!
    WA Guns
    "There is no such thing as a free lunch, but there is always free cheese in a mousetrap."

Welcome to OCDO. I like the Serpa CQC paddle holster for my Taurus, and 1911 with level 2 retention. Come out to one of the meet ups.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Welcome to OCDO. I like the Serpa CQC paddle holster for my Taurus, and 1911 with level 2 retention. Come out to one of the meet ups.
    I'd love to come out to an event. Hopefully I can find something within an hours drive from me. I have been eyeing Serpas and I really like the way they look and the positive reviews they receive. The only other holster I have (besides my cheap cloth one) is a Galco King Tuk which I can't use yet as it's an IWB.

BTW I was carrying my 3rd gen glock 23. It's a great little gun and easy to break down and clean. The only other pistol that I would consider carrying right now is my Beretta M9 but I'd need a new holster for that. Thanks for the advice guys! Keep it coming!

Welcome to washington!!!! I, too left california years and years ago for more personal freedom. Washington is a great state for 2nd amendment supporters, in that the state preemption makes it very hard for one to be confused about how or where to carry! Welcome to America!

Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MattinWA View Post
    Welcome to washington!!!! I, too left california years and years ago for more personal freedom. Washington is a great state for 2nd amendment supporters, in that the state preemption makes it very hard for one to be confused about how or where to carry! Welcome to America!
    Thank you, brother! I know this sounds corny, but I have been waiting a long time to leave California for greener pastures. The nut jobs in office in Los Angeles County are going to ruin that state and I wanted out before it happened. Although the official reason I left the state was to be with my fiance while she goes for her master's program (go Huskies!!!), the underlying truth is that I wanted more personal freedom and to practice my 2A rights. Washington doesn't ask why you want to carry, that right is guaranteed. I was denied for a CCW (CPL) in California because the Sheriff said being held up at gunpoint wasn't "good cause". I'm glad to be here and don't ever plan on leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    Hi Jeff,

Yes, I did have an opportunity to read RCW 9.41.060 (8). Actually I first read it when I was still living in California. It doesn't appear that carrying in a state park is a problem. I did find WAC 352-32-120, but it only refers to discharging a firearm in a state park as being a gross misdemeanor.

This link is also pretty helpful in clearing up any confusion:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/a...ryBulletin.pdf

Carry in a state park or any public (city, state, county..) park is ok in Washington, and discharge of firearms is permitted in state parks, unless that area specifically says you can not. (local municipalities can regulate the discharge of firearms in areas where it is reasonably likey to cause bodily harm or property damage, however local municipalities cannot regulate where or how you choose to carry beyond what the state says is permissible)

Quote Originally Posted by bebop4one View Post
    Although I am required to be a resident for at least 90 days before I can apply for my CPL
    No, you are not. Washington's CPL law is clearly written in plain English, and simple to understand:
    • The State of Washington shall issue a Concealed Pistol License to any applicant who is not disqualified
    • Residents must apply at their local police department or county sheriff's office
    • Non-residents may apply at any local Washington law enforcement agency
    • The processing agency has up to 30 days to issue a license to non-disqualified applicants
    • Unless the applicant has not been a resident for the previous consecutive 90 days or does not have a valid, permanent Washington driver license or state ID, in which case the processing agency has 60 days to issue a license

You are a resident of the state of Washington the instant you take action establishing residency, which includes but is not limited to:
    • Establishing a permanent residence
    • Obtaining a Washington driver license (a temporary license may be temporary, but it is still a valid license)

Presuming you have established a permanent residence, you fall in arguably the least-convenient of the possible three combinations (non-resident, short-time resident, long-time resident), which means you have to apply at your local police department or county sheriff's office, and you may have to wait up to 60 days for the license, but there is absolutely nothing about your term of residency that precludes you from applying for and obtain a CPL. I applied for my CPL two weeks after arriving in Washington, and received it three weeks later. I still have not been a resident of Washington for 90 days.

Welcome to Washington. Go get your CPL.

Ahhh good catch oc.... yes your cwp is essential, allows you to be exempt from the silly gun free school zone acts ridiculous 1000 ft range, and allows you to have a loaded pistol in your vehicle so you dont have to disarm to travel.

Welcome to Washington. I too am a transplant. I'm from New Hampshire and carried a gun everyday. When I had to move out here for work I thought my freedom was about to end. This state really has some fantastic laws in regards to firearms.
    This state is also very beautiful. If only they could lower the cost of living and let us out of staters teach driver's ed to the locals this place would be pretty close to perfect.
    As far as holsters go there is a wide range of options. You can get a SERPA for about $40. I own one for every gun I have. You can get a really nice leather holster for about $70. I'm kinda partial to Galco when going with leather. Another company to check out is a local one called Blade Tech. I own three including one they custom made to carry my p226 with a light attached.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by bebop4one View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum and to the state of Washington. I moved here from Los Angeles, CA a little over a month ago. I have been a firearms enthusiast for about 10 years now but never was able to truly practice my rights in California. I am overjoyed to be a resident of this beautiful state.

Although I am required to be a resident for at least 90 days before I can apply for my CPL, there appears to be no waiting period required to open carry. Well, this weekend was my first time carrying openly and it felt great. My girlfriend and I went for a hike on Sunday at Wallace Falls off of Highway 2. I was hesitant at first to carry, but a gentleman who parked in front of me changed my mind. The first thing he did was attach his holstered pistol to his side.

Walking around and hiking felt as natural as all of the other times I've hiked, although this time I was very aware of my surroundings and the people I passed on the trail. My girlfriend said she was a little embarassed and said she thought I was trying to be macho. I did get a few looks from other hikers and I felt like people went silent as they passed me. One guy said "I was going to wear mine, man, but I didn't want to scare any kids or anything". I smiled and told him that he definitely should next time.

Not everything went so smoothly, though. I did have a little 'incident' that I was pretty embarassed about. You see, it was unexpectedly hot and humid on Sunday so I was constantly adjusting my shirt. This sort of caused my holster to move around a bit requiring that I move it back to my side (it's a cheap cloth holster and it kept wandering towards my rear. I'm upgrading soon). Anyway, I guess one of the times I moved my holster I must have hit the mag release because we were walking and out of nowhere I hear a thud. I looked back and my loaded magazine was lying on the trail. Surprisingly my girlfriend just pointed it out and kept going. I thought she would freak or give me a hard time about it. Luckily nobody was around but man I was embarassed. Oh well, lesson learned.

So yeah that was my first time carrying and overall I would say it was a major success and boost to confidence. I'll be lurking the forums looking for tips and just get a better understanding of methods more experienced carriers use. I look forward to becoming a member of this great community!
    Hej! the short of it is, if you have a WA drivers license, you are a resident for purposes of obtaining a CPL...No further wait necessary. If you read the law, it says, 90 days "If you do not have a WA ID"

BTW, RCW 9.41.060 is your friend until you have a cpl.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Hej! the short of it is, if you have a WA drivers license, you are a resident for purposes of obtaining a CPL...No further wait necessary. If you read the law, it says, 90 days "If you do not have a WA ID"

BTW, RCW 9.41.060 is your friend until you have a cpl.
    No. It says anyone not a resident for the previous, consecutive 90 days, resident or not, will wait up to 60 days. It also says residents, regardless of residency duration, must apply at their local municipal or county agency. That's all it says with regard to residency.

Preemptive edit to dismiss a common misconception:
    There is no such thing as a resident CPL in Washington.
    There is no such thing as a non-resident CPL in Washington.
    Washington issues CPLs. That's it. Residency is solely a factor when determining permissible application locations, and duration of residency is solely a factor when determining how long the processing agency is allowed before issuing.

Preemptive second edit to dismiss a common misreading:
    .070 says that those who have not been a resident for 90 days or do not have a valid, permanent DL or state ID will wait up to 60 days, instead of 30. The "or" is indisputably inclusive. People who have been residents of Washington for less than 90 days, regardless of a DL or state ID, will wait up to 60 days. People who have lived in Washington all of their lives, but do not have a valid, permanent DL or state ID, will wait up to 60 days.
    Last edited by ()pen(arry; 09-03-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    No. It says anyone not a resident for the previous, consecutive 90 days, resident or not, will wait up to 60 days. It also says residents, regardless of residency duration, must apply at their local municipal or county agency. That's all it says with regard to residency.

Preemptive edit to dismiss a common misconception:
    There is no such thing as a resident CPL in Washington.
    There is no such thing as a non-resident CPL in Washington.
    Washington issues CPLs. That's it. Residency is solely a factor when determining permissible application locations, and duration of residency is solely a factor when determining how long the processing agency is allowed before issuing.

Preemptive second edit to dismiss a common misreading:
    .070 says that those who have not been a resident for 90 days or do not have a valid, permanent DL or state ID will wait up to 60 days, instead of 30. The "or" is indisputably inclusive. People who have been residents of Washington for less than 90 days, regardless of a DL or state ID, will wait up to 60 days. People who have lived in Washington all of their lives, but do not have a valid, permanent DL or state ID, will wait up to 60 days.
    From RCW 9.41.070(1) "... However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours."

The corollary is: If you have a WA DL or ID, they have 30 days to give you your CPL> length of "residency" is irrelevant.
    Last edited by hermannr; 09-03-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    From RCW 9.41.070(1) "... However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours."
    The second "or" really is self-explanatory. The statute says that either of the following two conditions triggers the increased issue window:
    1. the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card
    2. has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days

Blatant appeal to authority.

Welcome to WA from a former Californian. You have lots of options for gunshops on the Westside plus two Cabelas. Definately get your cpl as it allows you to bypass waiting periods for handguns. Definately go to the big gunshows in Puyallup if you can. You will have to be a member to buy guns there but the $35 is worth it as it pays your entrance fee into the Puyallup and Monroe shows ALL year..thats a bargain if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by WA_G32 View Post
    Welcome to WA from a former Californian. You have lots of options for gunshops on the Westside plus two Cabelas. Definately get your cpl as it allows you to bypass waiting periods for handguns. Definately go to the big gunshows in Puyallup if you can. You will have to be a member to buy guns there but the $35 is worth it as it pays your entrance fee into the Puyallup and Monroe shows ALL year..thats a bargain if you ask me.
    that sounds like a plan. Cabella's is going to be about a 45 minute drive for me at least but it's well worth it. I haven't been to a gun show in ages but I'm definitely ready to start attending. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Welcome from another former California resident as well, seems we are bailing out of that place like rats from a sinking ship.

Welcome, go get your CPL tomorrow. I had mine before I even moved up here.

Quote Originally Posted by WA_G32 View Post
    I read something that the WAC membership is going up to $40 or something. But I agree, get the membership so buying at gun shows is easy.

Quick Update

Hey everyone. So I just came back from putting in my CPL application. They were very nice and didn't mention anything about me marking 'NO' on the section asking if I've been a resident for 90 days. She gave me a receipt and told me that it would take 30 days or less to hear an answer back. I paid $52.50 in cash which I think may help speed things along. She said she would mail out the form as soon as I signed it so that made me feel pretty good. I guess we'll have an answer to our conversation here in a few weeks or so. Crossing my fingers that this goes smoothly.

to OP: Welcome to OCDO; we have lots of beautiful hikes up Hwy 2 and I90. Lake Annette, Lake Serene, and Snow Lake are very scenic alpine lakes. Barclay Lake is a short hike with an 'ok' scenic lake.

to all you other transplants: Go home! We don't want your no-driving-skills up here. (my families arrived here in 1905 & 1950-ish).

Actually, if you could convince all the transplants that are anti's to leave, that'd be great.

Welcome OP from yet another ex-Californian. Grew up and lived in Orange County for many years. When I go down to visit friends or family I feel nekkid without my trusty Sig.

Back in the late 90s, on arriving in Oregon, one of my first acts was to buy a carry pistol and get my CHL. Now, I'm across the river in Vancouver. Seems like most of the Washington OC members are up your way or in Spokane. Kinda quiet down here...

It's a great feeling to be able to carry openly or otherwise, a firearm when out on the trail or in town.

Quote Originally Posted by jhfc View Post
    Welcome OP from yet another ex-Californian. Grew up and lived in Orange County for many years. When I go down to visit friends or family I feel nekkid without my trusty Sig.

Back in the late 90s, on arriving in Oregon, one of my first acts was to buy a carry pistol and get my CHL. Now, I'm across the river in Vancouver. Seems like most of the Washington OC members are up your way or in Spokane. Kinda quiet down here...

It's a great feeling to be able to carry openly or otherwise, a firearm when out on the trail or in town.
    It seems that we have a lot of California transplants! It may just be that people can no longer stand the MANY changes that are taking place in the once great state. I was born in Orance, CA and living in the San Fernando Valley but decided I couldn't take it anymore.

Open carry is absolutely fantastic and I hope to have my CPL soon enough. I may always go with a conceal carry option until I get out from living in the middle of Seattle, though. People here seem to have very mixed feelings about firearms in general and I don't want to draw any unwanted attention. But as for hiking and camping? Open carry all the time every time!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast