• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time Open Carrying This Weekend

leitung

Welcome to WA from a former Californian. You have lots of options for gunshops on the Westside plus two Cabelas. Definately get your cpl as it allows you to bypass waiting periods for handguns. Definately go to the big gunshows in Puyallup if you can. You will have to be a member to buy guns there but the $35 is worth it as it pays your entrance fee into the Puyallup and Monroe shows ALL year..thats a bargain if you ask me.

I read something that the WAC membership is going up to $40 or something. But I agree, get the membership so buying at gun shows is easy.

bebop4one

Quick Update

Hey everyone. So I just came back from putting in my CPL application. They were very nice and didn't mention anything about me marking 'NO' on the section asking if I've been a resident for 90 days. She gave me a receipt and told me that it would take 30 days or less to hear an answer back. I paid $52.50 in cash which I think may help speed things along. She said she would mail out the form as soon as I signed it so that made me feel pretty good. I guess we'll have an answer to our conversation here in a few weeks or so. Crossing my fingers that this goes smoothly.

mikeyb

to OP: Welcome to OCDO; we have lots of beautiful hikes up Hwy 2 and I90. Lake Annette, Lake Serene, and Snow Lake are very scenic alpine lakes. Barclay Lake is a short hike with an 'ok' scenic lake.

to all you other transplants: Go home! We don't want your no-driving-skills up here. :p (my families arrived here in 1905 & 1950-ish).

Actually, if you could convince all the transplants that are anti's to leave, that'd be great.

jhfc

Welcome OP from yet another ex-Californian. Grew up and lived in Orange County for many years. When I go down to visit friends or family I feel nekkid without my trusty Sig.

Back in the late 90s, on arriving in Oregon, one of my first acts was to buy a carry pistol and get my CHL. Now, I'm across the river in Vancouver. Seems like most of the Washington OC members are up your way or in Spokane. Kinda quiet down here...

It's a great feeling to be able to carry openly or otherwise, a firearm when out on the trail or in town.

bebop4one

Welcome OP from yet another ex-Californian. Grew up and lived in Orange County for many years. When I go down to visit friends or family I feel nekkid without my trusty Sig.

Back in the late 90s, on arriving in Oregon, one of my first acts was to buy a carry pistol and get my CHL. Now, I'm across the river in Vancouver. Seems like most of the Washington OC members are up your way or in Spokane. Kinda quiet down here...

It's a great feeling to be able to carry openly or otherwise, a firearm when out on the trail or in town.

It seems that we have a lot of California transplants! It may just be that people can no longer stand the MANY changes that are taking place in the once great state. I was born in Orance, CA and living in the San Fernando Valley but decided I couldn't take it anymore.

Open carry is absolutely fantastic and I hope to have my CPL soon enough. I may always go with a conceal carry option until I get out from living in the middle of Seattle, though. People here seem to have very mixed feelings about firearms in general and I don't want to draw any unwanted attention. But as for hiking and camping? Open carry all the time every time!!! :banana:

MattinWA

Hey everyone. So I just came back from putting in my CPL application. They were very nice and didn't mention anything about me marking 'NO' on the section asking if I've been a resident for 90 days. She gave me a receipt and told me that it would take 30 days or less to hear an answer back. I paid $52.50 in cash which I think may help speed things along. She said she would mail out the form as soon as I signed it so that made me feel pretty good. I guess we'll have an answer to our conversation here in a few weeks or so. Crossing my fingers that this goes smoothly.

Did they also take fingerprints at this time? It may be a bad sign if they did not. At least in Spokane they took fingerprints immediately after I filed and paid cash. I received my permit in two weeks, but I think the FBI already had my prints on a recent file from a job I had been working on, so my theory is that sped it up. But I guess I don't know how long it usually takes :p

Last edited:

gsx1138

Welcome! Normally I tell people from California to "go back!" but you like guns so you're ok. Unless things have changed, the last time I went to a WAC show everything was horribly over priced. They simply can't compete with most internet prices. So I'd save your money there and go to a show before you jump into that pool.

bebop4one

Did they also take fingerprints at this time? It may be a bad sign if they did not. At least in Spokane they took fingerprints immediately after I filed and paid cash. I received my permit in two weeks, but I think the FBI already had my prints on a recent file from a job I had been working on, so my theory is that sped it up. But I guess I don't know how long it usually takes :p

Hey Matt. Yeah I did forget to mention that they fingerprinted me immediately after I paid. I actually commented on how sophisticated the machine was. The very moment I rolled my finger over the scanner the print show up on the screen in front of us. Cool stuff. She said they were some of the clearest prints she had seen in a long time. Maybe it's a good sign :)

MattinWA

Hey Matt. Yeah I did forget to mention that they fingerprinted me immediately after I paid. I actually commented on how sophisticated the machine was. The very moment I rolled my finger over the scanner the print show up on the screen in front of us. Cool stuff. She said they were some of the clearest prints she had seen in a long time. Maybe it's a good sign :)

Oh ya then, you are good to go. Now its just hurry up and wait. Easy cheesy eh?

bebop4one

Oh ya then, you are good to go. Now its just hurry up and wait. Easy cheesy eh?

easy process, yes. easy to sit and wait for an answer...NO!!! :lol:

i guess i'm so impatient because this was an absolutely impossible process in california

MattinWA

easy process, yes. easy to sit and wait for an answer...NO!!! :lol:

i guess i'm so impatient because this was an absolutely impossible process in california

You already know the answer... Do any of the disqualifying factors directly apply to you?

If you answer "yes" then: you will not receive a permit
If you answer "no" then: You will receive a permit, with the autograph of the police chief on it!

Washington MUST issue you a permit if you meet the requirements, it is your right here!

Relax buddy! It's in the mail!!!!

Jeff Hayes

You already know the answer... Do any of the disqualifying factors directly apply to you?

If you answer "no" then: You will receive a permit, with the autograph of the police chief on it!

Washington MUST issue you a permit if you meet the requirements, it is your right here!

+1

MattinWA

This may seem like niggling, but I believe it is a critical distinction: Washington must issue him a permit if he is not disqualified. There are no requirements.

Ya know I am currently out walking my dog, open carrying (of course) when it hit me! They need a reason NOT to issue you a permit. You beat me by a few minutes.

I dont know of anyone who has a cwp issued by Washington that has not paid the required fees, submitted to the required fingerprint check, or filled out the required paperwork...
but I know what u mean
now whos niggling haha?

Last edited:

PALO

Welcome to the great state of WA. You will find that in addition to our superior laws regarding open and concealed carry (compared to California), we have many other ways where we are WAY ahead of the average state in regards to liberties.

No Income Tax

Legal Marijuana

And a state constitution that recognizes a specific right to privacy and a body of case law that places FAR more restrictions on law enforcement vis a vis search and seizure than California does.

A large part of the reason I chose to move to this great state was because of the greater respect for liberty and privacy!

Welcome, again

bebop4one

Thanks man! I feel pretty confident. Everything was marked no so I don't think it'll be a problem.

This may seem like niggling, but I believe it is a critical distinction: Washington must issue him a permit if he is not disqualified. There are no requirements.

I agree and that's why I'm wondering about all of the fuss they make about being a resident for 90 days. Weird.

Ya know I am currently out walking my dog, open carrying (of course) when it hit me! They need a reason NOT to issue you a permit. You beat me by a few minutes.

I dont know of anyone who has a cwp issued by Washington that has not paid the required fees, submitted to the required fingerprint check, or filled out the required paperwork...
but I know what u mean
now whos niggling haha?

While I was waiting for the lady to call me up at the police station today, there was another guy who had gotten there right before me. He had just moved here from Houston, TX and he said he was finally applying after being here for 90 days. So it looks like others were under the same impression as me: you can't apply before being here before 90 days. I know Washington State law is pretty straight forward with a lot of it's gun laws, but this wording seems to be needlessly confusing.

bebop4one

Welcome to the great state of WA. You will find that in addition to our superior laws regarding open and concealed carry (compared to California), we have many other ways where we are WAY ahead of the average state in regards to liberties.

No Income Tax

Legal Marijuana

And a state constitution that recognizes a specific right to privacy and a body of case law that places FAR more restrictions on law enforcement vis a vis search and seizure than California does.

A large part of the reason I chose to move to this great state was because of the greater respect for liberty and privacy!

Welcome, again

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am extremely happy to be here. The absence of income tax is phenomenal and the legalization of weed is also one of the smarter things any state has done. I don't smoke but it's a waste of taxpayer money to enforce something as harmless as marijuana. After over a year of waiting and dreaming I feel like I am finally home. And I plan to stay here :cool:

jhfc

You will get your license; there's no nonsense about it here. Yay for "shall issue".

Just a note though -- when I received my CPL, it was took almost the maximum number of days from date of application. The guy at the Sheriff's office said they are very busy with permit applications. Flooded even. Something like 12% of Washingtonians have a CPL.

What may surprise you, is when you get it, it will be a giant piece of paper. Since I lack sufficient manual dexterity, my GF cut it down, trimmed it and had it laminated. I've heard some locales provide a proper credit card-esque license, but mine wasn't and I just did mine a few months back.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

You will get your license; there's no nonsense about it here. Yay for "shall issue".

Just a note though -- when I received my CPL, it was took almost the maximum number of days from date of application. The guy at the Sheriff's office said they are very busy with permit applications. Flooded even. Something like 12% of Washingtonians have a CPL.

What may surprise you, is when you get it, it will be a giant piece of paper. Since I lack sufficient manual dexterity, my GF cut it down, trimmed it and had it laminated. I've heard some locales provide a proper credit card-esque license, but mine wasn't and I just did mine a few months back.

I wish they'd update the CPL. our CPLs are literally just typewritten cardstock
n239ft7

I wish they'd just print it on credit card plastic, that way it would look more official, last longer, and fit in a wallet properly...