• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time Open Carrying This Weekend

bebop4one

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum and to the state of Washington. I moved here from Los Angeles, CA a little over a month ago. I have been a firearms enthusiast for about 10 years now but never was able to truly practice my rights in California. I am overjoyed to be a resident of this beautiful state. :)

Although I am required to be a resident for at least 90 days before I can apply for my CPL, there appears to be no waiting period required to open carry. Well, this weekend was my first time carrying openly and it felt great. My girlfriend and I went for a hike on Sunday at Wallace Falls off of Highway 2. I was hesitant at first to carry, but a gentleman who parked in front of me changed my mind. The first thing he did was attach his holstered pistol to his side.

Walking around and hiking felt as natural as all of the other times I've hiked, although this time I was very aware of my surroundings and the people I passed on the trail. My girlfriend said she was a little embarassed and said she thought I was trying to be macho. I did get a few looks from other hikers and I felt like people went silent as they passed me. One guy said "I was going to wear mine, man, but I didn't want to scare any kids or anything". I smiled and told him that he definitely should next time.

Not everything went so smoothly, though. I did have a little 'incident' that I was pretty embarassed about. You see, it was unexpectedly hot and humid on Sunday so I was constantly adjusting my shirt. This sort of caused my holster to move around a bit requiring that I move it back to my side (it's a cheap cloth holster and it kept wandering towards my rear. I'm upgrading soon). Anyway, I guess one of the times I moved my holster I must have hit the mag release because we were walking and out of nowhere I hear a thud. I looked back and my loaded magazine was lying on the trail. Surprisingly my girlfriend just pointed it out and kept going. I thought she would freak or give me a hard time about it. Luckily nobody was around but man I was embarassed. Oh well, lesson learned.

So yeah that was my first time carrying and overall I would say it was a major success and boost to confidence. I'll be lurking the forums looking for tips and just get a better understanding of methods more experienced carriers use. I look forward to becoming a member of this great community! :cool:

Trigger Dr

Get a good quality holster with retention. AND>.................Welcome to the freedom.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Welcome to OCDO. I like the Serpa CQC paddle holster for my Taurus, and 1911 with level 2 retention. Come out to one of the meet ups.

bebop4one

Welcome to OCDO. I like the Serpa CQC paddle holster for my Taurus, and 1911 with level 2 retention. Come out to one of the meet ups.

I'd love to come out to an event. Hopefully I can find something within an hours drive from me. I have been eyeing Serpas and I really like the way they look and the positive reviews they receive. The only other holster I have (besides my cheap cloth one) is a Galco King Tuk which I can't use yet as it's an IWB.

BTW I was carrying my 3rd gen glock 23. It's a great little gun and easy to break down and clean. The only other pistol that I would consider carrying right now is my Beretta M9 but I'd need a new holster for that. Thanks for the advice guys! Keep it coming!

MattinWA

Welcome to washington!!!! I, too left california years and years ago for more personal freedom. Washington is a great state for 2nd amendment supporters, in that the state preemption makes it very hard for one to be confused about how or where to carry! Welcome to America!

bebop4one

Welcome to washington!!!! I, too left california years and years ago for more personal freedom. Washington is a great state for 2nd amendment supporters, in that the state preemption makes it very hard for one to be confused about how or where to carry! Welcome to America!

Thank you, brother! I know this sounds corny, but I have been waiting a long time to leave California for greener pastures. The nut jobs in office in Los Angeles County are going to ruin that state and I wanted out before it happened. Although the official reason I left the state was to be with my fiance while she goes for her master's program (go Huskies!!!), the underlying truth is that I wanted more personal freedom and to practice my 2A rights. Washington doesn't ask why you want to carry, that right is guaranteed. I was denied for a CCW (CPL) in California because the Sheriff said being held up at gunpoint wasn't "good cause". I'm glad to be here and don't ever plan on leaving.

bebop4one

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I did have an opportunity to read RCW 9.41.060 (8). Actually I first read it when I was still living in California. It doesn't appear that carrying in a state park is a problem. I did find WAC 352-32-120, but it only refers to discharging a firearm in a state park as being a gross misdemeanor.

This link is also pretty helpful in clearing up any confusion:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/WashingtonStOpenCarryBulletin.pdf

MattinWA

Carry in a state park or any public (city, state, county..) park is ok in Washington, and discharge of firearms is permitted in state parks, unless that area specifically says you can not. (local municipalities can regulate the discharge of firearms in areas where it is reasonably likey to cause bodily harm or property damage, however local municipalities cannot regulate where or how you choose to carry beyond what the state says is permissible)

()pen(arry

Although I am required to be a resident for at least 90 days before I can apply for my CPL

No, you are not. Washington's CPL law is clearly written in plain English, and simple to understand:
  • The State of Washington shall issue a Concealed Pistol License to any applicant who is not disqualified
  • Residents must apply at their local police department or county sheriff's office
  • Non-residents may apply at any local Washington law enforcement agency
  • The processing agency has up to 30 days to issue a license to non-disqualified applicants
  • Unless the applicant has not been a resident for the previous consecutive 90 days or does not have a valid, permanent Washington driver license or state ID, in which case the processing agency has 60 days to issue a license
You are a resident of the state of Washington the instant you take action establishing residency, which includes but is not limited to:
  • Establishing a permanent residence
  • Obtaining a Washington driver license (a temporary license may be temporary, but it is still a valid license)

Presuming you have established a permanent residence, you fall in arguably the least-convenient of the possible three combinations (non-resident, short-time resident, long-time resident), which means you have to apply at your local police department or county sheriff's office, and you may have to wait up to 60 days for the license, but there is absolutely nothing about your term of residency that precludes you from applying for and obtain a CPL. I applied for my CPL two weeks after arriving in Washington, and received it three weeks later. I still have not been a resident of Washington for 90 days.

Welcome to Washington. Go get your CPL.

MattinWA

Ahhh good catch oc.... yes your cwp is essential, allows you to be exempt from the silly gun free school zone acts ridiculous 1000 ft range, and allows you to have a loaded pistol in your vehicle so you dont have to disarm to travel.

decklin

Welcome to Washington. I too am a transplant. I'm from New Hampshire and carried a gun everyday. When I had to move out here for work I thought my freedom was about to end. This state really has some fantastic laws in regards to firearms.
This state is also very beautiful. If only they could lower the cost of living and let us out of staters teach driver's ed to the locals this place would be pretty close to perfect.
As far as holsters go there is a wide range of options. You can get a SERPA for about $40. I own one for every gun I have. You can get a really nice leather holster for about $70. I'm kinda partial to Galco when going with leather. Another company to check out is a local one called Blade Tech. I own three including one they custom made to carry my p226 with a light attached.

hermannr

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum and to the state of Washington. I moved here from Los Angeles, CA a little over a month ago. I have been a firearms enthusiast for about 10 years now but never was able to truly practice my rights in California. I am overjoyed to be a resident of this beautiful state. :)

Although I am required to be a resident for at least 90 days before I can apply for my CPL, there appears to be no waiting period required to open carry. Well, this weekend was my first time carrying openly and it felt great. My girlfriend and I went for a hike on Sunday at Wallace Falls off of Highway 2. I was hesitant at first to carry, but a gentleman who parked in front of me changed my mind. The first thing he did was attach his holstered pistol to his side.

Walking around and hiking felt as natural as all of the other times I've hiked, although this time I was very aware of my surroundings and the people I passed on the trail. My girlfriend said she was a little embarassed and said she thought I was trying to be macho. I did get a few looks from other hikers and I felt like people went silent as they passed me. One guy said "I was going to wear mine, man, but I didn't want to scare any kids or anything". I smiled and told him that he definitely should next time.

Not everything went so smoothly, though. I did have a little 'incident' that I was pretty embarassed about. You see, it was unexpectedly hot and humid on Sunday so I was constantly adjusting my shirt. This sort of caused my holster to move around a bit requiring that I move it back to my side (it's a cheap cloth holster and it kept wandering towards my rear. I'm upgrading soon). Anyway, I guess one of the times I moved my holster I must have hit the mag release because we were walking and out of nowhere I hear a thud. I looked back and my loaded magazine was lying on the trail. Surprisingly my girlfriend just pointed it out and kept going. I thought she would freak or give me a hard time about it. Luckily nobody was around but man I was embarassed. Oh well, lesson learned.

So yeah that was my first time carrying and overall I would say it was a major success and boost to confidence. I'll be lurking the forums looking for tips and just get a better understanding of methods more experienced carriers use. I look forward to becoming a member of this great community! :cool:

Hej! the short of it is, if you have a WA drivers license, you are a resident for purposes of obtaining a CPL...No further wait necessary. If you read the law, it says, 90 days "If you do not have a WA ID"

BTW, RCW 9.41.060 is your friend until you have a cpl.

()pen(arry

Hej! the short of it is, if you have a WA drivers license, you are a resident for purposes of obtaining a CPL...No further wait necessary. If you read the law, it says, 90 days "If you do not have a WA ID"

BTW, RCW 9.41.060 is your friend until you have a cpl.

No. It says anyone not a resident for the previous, consecutive 90 days, resident or not, will wait up to 60 days. It also says residents, regardless of residency duration, must apply at their local municipal or county agency. That's all it says with regard to residency.

Preemptive edit to dismiss a common misconception:
There is no such thing as a resident CPL in Washington.
There is no such thing as a non-resident CPL in Washington.
Washington issues CPLs. That's it. Residency is solely a factor when determining permissible application locations, and duration of residency is solely a factor when determining how long the processing agency is allowed before issuing.

Preemptive second edit to dismiss a common misreading:
.070 says that those who have not been a resident for 90 days or do not have a valid, permanent DL or state ID will wait up to 60 days, instead of 30. The "or" is indisputably inclusive. People who have been residents of Washington for less than 90 days, regardless of a DL or state ID, will wait up to 60 days. People who have lived in Washington all of their lives, but do not have a valid, permanent DL or state ID, will wait up to 60 days.

Last edited:

hermannr

No. It says anyone not a resident for the previous, consecutive 90 days, resident or not, will wait up to 60 days. It also says residents, regardless of residency duration, must apply at their local municipal or county agency. That's all it says with regard to residency.

Preemptive edit to dismiss a common misconception:
There is no such thing as a resident CPL in Washington.
There is no such thing as a non-resident CPL in Washington.
Washington issues CPLs. That's it. Residency is solely a factor when determining permissible application locations, and duration of residency is solely a factor when determining how long the processing agency is allowed before issuing.

Preemptive second edit to dismiss a common misreading:
.070 says that those who have not been a resident for 90 days or do not have a valid, permanent DL or state ID will wait up to 60 days, instead of 30. The "or" is indisputably inclusive. People who have been residents of Washington for less than 90 days, regardless of a DL or state ID, will wait up to 60 days. People who have lived in Washington all of their lives, but do not have a valid, permanent DL or state ID, will wait up to 60 days.

From RCW 9.41.070(1) "... However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours."

The corollary is: If you have a WA DL or ID, they have 30 days to give you your CPL> length of "residency" is irrelevant.

Last edited:

()pen(arry

From RCW 9.41.070(1) "... However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours."

The second "or" really is self-explanatory. The statute says that either of the following two conditions triggers the increased issue window:
  1. the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card
  2. has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days

Blatant appeal to authority.

WA_G32

Welcome to WA from a former Californian. You have lots of options for gunshops on the Westside plus two Cabelas. Definately get your cpl as it allows you to bypass waiting periods for handguns. Definately go to the big gunshows in Puyallup if you can. You will have to be a member to buy guns there but the $35 is worth it as it pays your entrance fee into the Puyallup and Monroe shows ALL year..thats a bargain if you ask me.

bebop4one

Welcome to WA from a former Californian. You have lots of options for gunshops on the Westside plus two Cabelas. Definately get your cpl as it allows you to bypass waiting periods for handguns. Definately go to the big gunshows in Puyallup if you can. You will have to be a member to buy guns there but the $35 is worth it as it pays your entrance fee into the Puyallup and Monroe shows ALL year..thats a bargain if you ask me.

that sounds like a plan. Cabella's is going to be about a 45 minute drive for me at least but it's well worth it. I haven't been to a gun show in ages but I'm definitely ready to start attending. Thanks for the warm welcome.

leitung

Welcome from another former California resident as well, seems we are bailing out of that place like rats from a sinking ship.

Welcome, go get your CPL tomorrow. I had mine before I even moved up here.