Thread: OC In Kennett, Mo

OC In Kennett, Mo

I have been open carry for about six months now, no one has ever even blinked an eye about. Until today that is, I live in a small town and one of the only places to shop is wal-mart, Well I have been one time today already OC of course, with no problems. I had to make a run back up there this afternoon and a Assistant manager told stopped me and told me that OC was not allowed in the store and that there were signs on the doors. I told here there were no signs on the doors about it because I look everytime I go in, then she said that a customer had made a complaint that they did not feel comfortable with someone in the store open carrying a firearm so I was ask to leave. When I ask about the carry rules she called another assistant manager to stand with me as she went and checked tham, guess they thought I was going to do something. Anyway to make a long story short, she came back said the rules was if they received a complaint from another customer that they had to ask the person oc'ing to leave. Oh and by the way she never ask if I was LEO(which I am not) or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyMac View Post
    I have been open carry for about six months now, no one has ever even blinked an eye about. Until today that is, I live in a small town and one of the only places to shop is wal-mart, Well I have been one time today already OC of course, with no problems. I had to make a run back up there this afternoon and a Assistant manager told stopped me and told me that OC was not allowed in the store and that there were signs on the doors. I told here there were no signs on the doors about it because I look everytime I go in, then she said that a customer had made a complaint that they did not feel comfortable with someone in the store open carrying a firearm so I was ask to leave. When I ask about the carry rules she called another assistant manager to stand with me as she went and checked tham, guess they thought I was going to do something. Anyway to make a long story short, she came back said the rules was if they received a complaint from another customer that they had to ask the person oc'ing to leave. Oh and by the way she never ask if I was LEO(which I am not) or anything.
    You don't mention the town you open carry, but Wal-Mart has a good track record of following the laws on open carry that is in place at the location of the the store in question. If the city you live does not have an ordinance against open carry, I would pursue the issue with Management. I have never had a problem with open carry at a Wal-Mart that the law permits.

Quote Originally Posted by logunowner View Post
    You don't mention the town you open carry, but Wal-Mart has a good track record of following the laws on open carry that is in place at the location of the the store in question. If the city you live does not have an ordinance against open carry, I would pursue the issue with Management. I have never had a problem with open carry at a Wal-Mart that the law permits.
    Same here. The only place I like better is Academy Sports which has a sign right on the door that says OC is OK with us. Kennett's in the boothill. I've always heard (vicious rumors I'm sure) that the politics down there are decidedly left leaning. A quick google search for local laws in Kennett gets you nothing but gobbledegook. Call city hall? An attorney? Wait until 9/11 (hopefully) and tell them to go F*@# themselves? LOL!

I guess I shouldn't say that....Walmart will still be able to ask you to leave (if they want to) after the Veto Override session.
    Last edited by BigBoreBoy; 09-04-2013 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by logunowner View Post
    OC In Kennett, Mo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoreBoy View Post
    Same here. The only place I like better is Academy Sports which has a sign right on the door that says OC is OK with us. Kennett's in the boothill. I've always heard (vicious rumors I'm sure) that the politics down there are decidedly left leaning. A quick google search for local laws in Kennett gets you nothing but gobbledegook. Call city hall? An attorney? Wait until 9/11 (hopefully) and tell them to go F*@# themselves? LOL!

I guess I shouldn't say that....Walmart will still be able to ask you to leave (if they want to) after the Veto Override session.
    This is actually the first time I ever had any problem with it. There used to be alot of people here that did lean to the left, but alot of them has changed in the last few years.

This is actually the first time I ever had any problem with it. There used to be alot of people here that did lean to the left, but alot of them has changed in the last few years.
    I'm sure it happens everywhere including here in Springfield. At least in this recent confrontation management backed up the OC man (or was at least neutral):

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...s-and-Sunshine

I think we need to remember that, while we eat, sleep, and breathe OC / guns, many of these stores have not even bothered to educate their employees on their firearms policies.

Just remember, any establishment can ask you to leave...as long as it doesn't violate any laws. When you are asked to leave, it is probably well worth it to leave. Then contact the headquarters.

My guess is, the store leadership is not as familiar with their policy on OCing as they think. From my experience with WM, they follow state/local laws, regardless of the other customers opinion. Although, it is subject to change.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    Just remember, any establishment can ask you to leave...as long as it doesn't violate any laws. When you are asked to leave, it is probably well worth it to leave. Then contact the headquarters.

My guess is, the store leadership is not as familiar with their policy on OCing as they think. From my experience with WM, they follow state/local laws, regardless of the other customers opinion. Although, it is subject to change.
    Yes I agree with you there is no need to try to fight them on it, because it can escalate to the calling in the police.

You seemed to have handled it about the best that you could.

One question that I always have (but rarely ask) is would they ask anyone else to leave for doing something else that is perfectly legal?

For example could I go up and ask a manager to ask a person to leave because they are holding hands with a person of the same gender? What if a person made me feel uncomfortable because their kid was unruly? Could I get the manager to ask them to leave? I saw a person buying a lot of beer and that made me uncomfortable because my friend was killed by a drunk driver. Seems the list could go on and on.

At what point does it become harassment?
    Last edited by HYRYSC; 09-05-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HYRYSC View Post
    You seemed to have handled it about the best that you could.

One question that I always have (but rarely ask) is would they ask anyone else to leave for doing something else that is perfectly legal?

For example could I go up and ask a manager to ask a person to leave because they are holding hands with a person of the same gender? What if a person made me feel uncomfortable because their kid was unruly? Could I get the manager to ask them to leave? I saw a person buying a lot of beer and that made me uncomfortable because my friend was killed by a drunk driver. Seems the list could go on and on.

At what point does it become harassment?
    I had actually thought about telling them that me not carrying made me uncomfortable, but I decided against it.