• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FOIA Training Workshops Scheduled

user

Accomplished Advocate
As stated in The Fauquier Free Citizen http://http://fauquierfreecitizen.com/virginia-freedom-of-information-advisory-council-holding-foia-workshops/:
Virginia Freedom of Information Advisory Council holding FOIA Workshops

During the month of September, the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Freedom of Information Advisory Council will be sponsoring its 2013 FOIA Workshop in the following areas:

• Richmond – Tuesday, September 10

• Lebanon – Monday, September 16

• Lynchburg – Tuesday, September 17

• Harrisonburg – Wednesday, September 18

Any person, including citizens, public officials, and media representatives, with an interest in learning more about the VA Freedom of Information Act is invited to register for these workshops. For registration information, check the FOIA Council’s website at foiacouncil.dls.virginia.gov OR contact the FOIA Council directly toll free at 866.448.4100.

Organization: Virginia Freedom of Information Advisory Council
Telephone: 804.786.3591/Toll free: 866.448.4100
Fax: 804.371.8705
E-mail: foiacouncil@dls.virginia.gov

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for the input user! I have contacted Ms. Everett regarding the time and location of the Lynchburg workshop and will update the thread once I have the details.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If you attend, be a little careful about accepting uninspected the information they provide. I've dealt with this office before.

They're not bad or anything. Its just that they are a state agency, and they didn't seem all that eager to help when police overtly or creatively violated the FOIA statute.

They were set up by the General Assembly to assist/advise FOI requesters. But, they have no power to compel a reluctant agency to comply with FOIA. They do from time to time issue advisory opinions that carry some weight with state agencies. But that's only if the state agency is unsure and the opinion clarifies something for them, or the agency is not all that reluctant or unwilling to comply.

There is a more helpful non-profit with some crackerjack staff. I'll see if I can find their website and so forth, and post it back here. No bureaucrat can compare to a citizen non-profit who wants a state agency to comply.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If you attend, be a little careful about accepting uninspected the information they provide. I've dealt with this office before.

They're not bad or anything. Its just that they are a state agency, and they didn't seem all that eager to help when police overtly or creatively violated the FOIA statute.

They were set up by the General Assembly to assist/advise FOI requesters. But, they have no power to compel a reluctant agency to comply with FOIA. They do from time to time issue advisory opinions that carry some weight with state agencies. But that's only if the state agency is unsure and the opinion clarifies something for them, or the agency is not all that reluctant or unwilling to comply.

There is a more helpful non-profit with some crackerjack staff. I'll see if I can find their website and so forth, and post it back here. No bureaucrat can compare to a citizen non-profit who wants a state agency to comply.

I agree to a point but I've taken the training before and it's helpful.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Good luck. I was about to cite Sunshine Review when I discovered that the name has been co-opted by some international NGO exorcizing the whiteman's burden of guilt, and the legal merged with Wisconsin's Madistanian Burns' Institute. I am soo pi%%ed. I hope that you know another.

[FONT=arial,verdana]Virginia Coalition for Open Government
P.O. Box 2576
540-353-VCOG
Williamsburg, Virginia 23187
[/FONT]
And yes, Megan did oppose the CHP Privacy law....which I did too. Just for different reasons. They are still the most helpful FOIA group in the state.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Virginia Coalition for Open Government
P.O. Box 2576
540-353-VCOG
Williamsburg, Virginia 23187

And yes, Megan did oppose the CHP Privacy law....which I did too. Just for different reasons. They are still the most helpful FOIA group in the state.

That's them!

Megan is great!

Thanks, Peter!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I received a phone call from a gentleman with the Virginia FOIA Council this morning with news on my request for information regarding the Lynchburg meeting. Unfortunately he bore bad news indicating that all of the meetings were fully booked, except for the meeting in Lebanon. He did assure me though that the information provided in the meetings was also provided on the FOIA Council website, and further that the Council would be working its way around the state holding similar meetings in other locations next year as well to ensure that folks were familiar with the open government options.

Although I won't be able to attend the meeting in Lebanon, I intend to look over the information provided by the Council's website and also that provided in some of the other resources mentioned.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I received a phone call from a gentleman with the Virginia FOIA Council this morning with news on my request for information regarding the Lynchburg meeting. Unfortunately he bore bad news indicating that all of the meetings were fully booked, except for the meeting in Lebanon. He did assure me though that the information provided in the meetings was also provided on the FOIA Council website, and further that the Council would be working its way around the state holding similar meetings in other locations next year as well to ensure that folks were familiar with the open government options.

Although I won't be able to attend the meeting in Lebanon, I intend to look over the information provided by the Council's website and also that provided in some of the other resources mentioned.

If you have specific questions, email Megan at VCOG.She responds quickly and has never steered me wrong..In fact, she gave me the key that unlocked the McDonnell, Kaine, VDOF nonsense.