Thread: Open carry walk, Saturday 9/7 Van Buren AR

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association

Open carry walk, Saturday 9/7 Van Buren AR

Some of us are planning a trip to Arkansas this Saturday to join Arkansas Carry in their efforts to gain media exposure and assert their new right to unlicensed open carry in Arkansas. We'll be meeting at the Van Buren library at 9am. Anyone need a ride? Can pick up one or two anywhere between okc and the state line along I40.

Quote Originally Posted by okiebryan View Post
    Some of us are planning a trip to Arkansas this Saturday to join Arkansas Carry in their efforts to gain media exposure and assert their new right to unlicensed open carry in Arkansas. We'll be meeting at the Van Buren library at 9am. Anyone need a ride? Can pick up one or two anywhere between okc and the state line along I40.

These types of events seem counter productive. A in your face approach does not tend to win people over to your point of view or cause.....just the opposite is true.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DFArcher View Post
    These types of events seem counter productive. A in your face approach does not tend to win people over to your point of view or cause.....just the opposite is true.
    That may be true of people predisposed to be anti OC.

A peaceful expression is hardly "in your face"; however, it is exactly the approach that has worked to further the pressure on legislative bodies to remove obstacles to open carry. The media attention often results in an avalanche of pro OCers and fence sitters adding their voices to the movement.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-06-2013 at 03:11 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

So how did things go?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    That may be true of people predisposed to be anti OC.

A peaceful expression is hardly "in your face"; however, it is exactly the approach that has worked to further the pressure on legislative bodies to remove obstacles to open carry. The media attention often results in an avalanche of pro OCers and fence sitters adding their voices to the movement.
    I think you are mistaken about the fence sitters. The media coverage of these events is not always helpful. I really don't expect anyone on this forum to agree with me on this. I would just say we need to be very careful about the image we portray at scheduled media events. John Wayne style cowboy rigs and some of the statements I heard are very "in you face", and will not move any of the fence sitters to the correct side.

Were there cowboy rigs? Were there some "in your face" comments? Or are you just adding elements to this situation that weren't there to support your views.
    While there have been those moments, what I see is mostly polite, respectful encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by DFArcher View Post
    I think you are mistaken about the fence sitters. The media coverage of these events is not always helpful. I really don't expect anyone on this forum to agree with me on this. I would just say we need to be very careful about the image we portray at scheduled media events. John Wayne style cowboy rigs and some of the statements I heard are very "in you face", and will not move any of the fence sitters to the correct side.
    Quote Originally Posted by okiephlyer View Post
    Were there cowboy rigs? Were there some "in your face" comments? Or are you just adding elements to this situation that weren't there to support your views.
    While there have been those moments, what I see is mostly polite, respectful encounters.
    Cowboy rigs? Heck I own one such for my SA .45 Colt clone and happily OC when I chose

Media coverage and the spin/slant of such is beyond our control; nevertheless such coverage is always good for the cause. The American public is not nearly so naive as the press would seem to believe - people are seeing through the smoke and around the mirrors. Witness the recent publicity of MAIG events and statements from the like of Lori Haas - each time these get column space in newspapers or minutes on TV, our membership increases and the percentage of people understanding RKBA notches upwards. So yes, lets stimulate the conversation and reap the benefits.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

I didn't see where anybody replied about how the walk went. It went extremely well. The mayor and chief of police helped us find a location for parking, etc. We walked beginning at the local municipal building. I put together a quick YouTube video that features the walk as well as an explanation of Act 746. Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TTdIdsxilo

Have a great day!

Patriot_RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_RAM View Post
    I didn't see where anybody replied about how the walk went. It went extremely well. The mayor and chief of police helped us find a location for parking, etc. We walked beginning at the local municipal building. I put together a quick YouTube video that features the walk as well as an explanation of Act 746. Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TTdIdsxilo

Have a great day!

Patriot_RAM
    Welcome to OCDO Patriot_RAM - thanks for the link with pictures and video. It made a great first post!