Thread: Is Open Carry OK for New Yorker (non-reciprocity state) on hunting trip in Colorado?

Question Is Open Carry OK for New Yorker (non-reciprocity state) on hunting trip in Colorado?

I will be traveling to Colorado for a three week hunting trip from upstate New York. Is it permissible for me to open carry on trails and in camp and while hunting even though NY is a non-reciprocity state? Is open carry allowed for anyone ... or just Colorado residents/land owners/business owners?

Cool Open Carry OK for New Yorker on hunting trip in Colorado???

I have a valid CCP for New York, as a resident of the state, and non-resident CCPs for Utah and Florida. But Colorado doesn't reciprocate with NY (and vice-versa) ... and doesn't recognize permits issued to non-residents of any state. But since no permit is required for open carry I just want to know if that applies to out-of-staters ... or just Colorado residents.

Cool

I haven't seen a comment on out-of-stater's right to open carry in CO since before the infamous "Aurora incident" (07/20/2012?) ... and just wonder if there have been any significant changes to open carry laws/rules and regulations since then that would affect that. I'll be on an extended two week high country expedition/hunting trip and would feel better having a .44 mag as a sidekick ... just in case. Anybody know of any "legal" reason why I can't do that?
    Last edited by rarocker; 09-04-2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Corrected Incident Date

Quote Originally Posted by rarocker View Post
    I have a valid CCP for New York, as a resident of the state, and non-resident CCPs for Utah and Florida. But Colorado doesn't reciprocate with NY (and vice-versa) ... and doesn't recognize permits issued to non-residents of any state. But since no permit is required for open carry I just want to know if that applies to out-of-staters ... or just Colorado residents.
    Colorado doesn't have reciprocity with New York state as far as concealed carry permits, but that doesn't matter when it comes to open carry.
    You may open carry anywhere in Colorado except the cities of Denver and Pueblo.

Folks, if I am mistaken about this, please correct me.
    Why do I have a bar in my home? Because it's cheaper to stock a bar than to get a DUI.

Thumbs up Thanks for Reply.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallFlagg View Post
    Colorado doesn't have reciprocity with New York state as far as concealed carry permits, but that doesn't matter when it comes to open carry.

Thanks RandallFlagg. And good for Colorado! I couldn't imagine spending two weeks in high country without a side arm. Will check later for naysayers ... but will otherwise plan on carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallFlagg View Post

[emphasis added.]

I was unaware of any prohibition in Pueblo... other than in buildings the city government owns or leases. What's your source for this?

http://pueblo.org/government/county/...e8/chapter8-22

Quote Originally Posted by SteveInCO View Post
    [emphasis added.]

I was unaware of any prohibition in Pueblo... other than in buildings the city government owns or leases. What's your source for this?

http://pueblo.org/government/county/...e8/chapter8-22
    No source. Just what I was told once long ago.
    Like I said, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Why do I have a bar in my home? Because it's cheaper to stock a bar than to get a DUI.

Denver is the only city who legally gets away with an outright ban on OC, other cities try to discourage it but they can't prohibit it.
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

There is no permit required to OC in Colorado. Denver has an OC ban that was split 3/3 in our Supreme Court, it has at least one out of state challenger as with no reciprocity, a residency requirement for CCW and an OC ban they effectively deny the right to arms to out of staters in Denver.

However, the rest of the state remains sane. You are fine everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by rarocker View Post
    I will be traveling to Colorado for a three week hunting trip from upstate New York. Is it permissible for me to open carry on trails and in camp and while hunting even though NY is a non-reciprocity state? Is open carry allowed for anyone ... or just Colorado residents/land owners/business owners?
    OC is perfectly legal in all of Colorado except Denver. No license, or residency required. Same as NM, AZ, ID, WY, MT, WA, OR, OH, PA, etc, etc. (there are 29 total) Now some of the other states also allow some local governments to restrict unlicensed loaded OC like PA and Philly, OR and Portland, other states like WA and ID do not allow the local governments any slack...State law IS THE LAW.