• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forsyth keeping gun

papa bear

i had a story relaid to me tonight, about a guy that had his truck stole in Rural Hall. he also had locked his gun in the truck. they did recover his truck and his firearm (he had it hid in the truck, so they didn't see it)

now this has been three years ago. they did give him back his truck, but they kept the gun. for three years.
the story was told to me that they used the excuse that it was evidence. but what did the gun have to do with the truck being stolen?

i haven't dug into it yet, so i don't know the whole story. do you guys have any suggestion of what to do

i was told he calls once a month to ask about it

NC-Heel

It has been my experience that Dept's tend to keep them till ordered to return them. I know a guy that surrendered his firearm to an officer after he and his girlfriend had a verbal argument and her mom called the police. One of those he has a gun in the house but it was not involved in the incident and officer asks to see it then decides to hold onto it till tomorrow till everyone cools off. Tomorrow turns into I had to turn it in and my Sergeant has to give it back to you. That turned into you're probably not getting it back. Took a lawyer going to a judge and getting a court order to release the firearm to the owner.

jag06

Its been a few years, at least 10, but we had a break in and one of the things stolen was my dad's handgun. The guy sold it later that day to a guy in Rural Hall. The guy got such a good deal that it took him 2 weeks to call the police to see if it was stolen. All my dad had to do was go to the sheriffs office and reclaim it, I don't remember them holding it for evidence or anything, just had go in person and claim it after getting the call that they had found it. If the sheriffs office is not releasing it, then he needs to contact a lawyer.

Superlite27

i
i haven't dug into it yet, so i don't know the whole story. do you guys have any suggestion of what to do

Have your buddy park his truck in the police chief's parking spot.

If they tell him he needs to move it, he should inform them that it's evidence and he can't touch it. If they insist that there are no cases pending, and that he needs to remove his property......THEN he should inquire about his firearm.

After all, there are no cases pending and he needs to remove his property from police department grounds.......right?

Brian D.

I think this happens in other states with some frequency, too. Here in Ohio a firend of mine had his carry handgun seized during a traffic stop. Long story short, the circumstances were BS, but my pal--who runs a good size company and has lawyers on the payroll--didn't folow my advice and make an issue out of the seizure for several months.

By that time, the officer in question had left the department under a cloud of controversy, and "coincidentally" there were some things missing from that agency's evidence lockup, including my friend's high dollar Sig Sauer.

Ultimately that officer got fired from the next PD job, for stalking and menacing involving a teenage girl as memory serves, and he got some time in the calaboose over it. None of this, of course, helped my friend get his Sig back.

papa bear

i wrote Paul Valone to see if the GRNC could help. he just wrote back and told the guy to get a lawyer