Thread: Google argues for right to continue scanning Gmail. Any other questions?

Google argues for right to continue scanning Gmail. Any other questions?

Google's attorneys say their long-running practice of electronically scanning the contents of people's Gmail accounts to help sell ads is legal, and are asking a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit that seeks to stop the practice.

The class action lawsuit, filed in May, says Google "unlawfully opens up, reads, and acquires the content of people's private email messages" in violation of California's privacy laws and federal wiretapping statutes. The lawsuit notes that the company even scans messages sent to any of the 425 million active Gmail users from non-Gmail users who never agreed to the company's terms.

http://phys.org/news/2013-09-google-scanning-gmail.html

EPIC, Privacy Groups, Urge Court to Reject Proposed Google Settlement

http://epic.org/2013/08/epic-privacy...rge-court.html
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

One major flaw with this lawsuit. Read the Gmail Terms and Conditions before you sign up. Once you create an account, and click on the "I fully understand the terms and conditions" box, your information, along with anything in your emails, is [u]AVAILABLE FOR FAIR USE![/i]

Im not saying its a good way to do business, but these people accepted these terms, and are now trying to make someone else pay for their stupid mistake.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    One major flaw with this lawsuit. Read the Gmail Terms and Conditions before you sign up. Once you create an account, and click on the "I fully understand the terms and conditions" box, your information, along with anything in your emails, is [u]AVAILABLE FOR FAIR USE![/i]

Im not saying its a good way to do business, but these people accepted these terms, and are now trying to make someone else pay for their stupid mistake.
    I thought that "fair use" precluded financial gain uses ... like gathering information for ads?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I thought that "fair use" precluded financial gain uses ... like gathering information for ads?
    That's essentially correct, although one is allowed to profit from, say, reviews which contain snippets of a prior work.

However, I suspect what the poster meant to say was that, by agreeing to their terms, you've explicitly agreed to have your information used in the manner they do.

Re: Google argues for right to continue scanning Gmail. Any other questions?

Well this sucks, I'm a avid android user, and Google is there backing. Guess no matter what you do, your Sol.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    Well this sucks, I'm a avid android user, and Google is there backing. Guess no matter what you do, your Sol.
    Look into Free Open & Source Software - FOSS - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_a...ource_Software

As your note was posted I was reading between AmaXon's new 6th generation Paperwhite Kindle and it's reviews. My relatively dumb K3 is fine but starting to show wear. I had to go through AmaXon to remember how to convert and sent a PDF of Vaclav Havel's essay Power of the Powerless.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    That's essentially correct, although one is allowed to profit from, say, reviews which contain snippets of a prior work.

However, I suspect what the poster meant to say was that, by agreeing to their terms, you've explicitly agreed to have your information used in the manner they do.
    Might be in their terms ... I would have to read them ... but I am extremely lazy today ....

Hopeful of this week's fantasy football outcome..a first week win is almost a must !

Are the Broncos ever going to kick off? ahh..there they go..

Frack! I'm losing already ....

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    If you want to get mad at someone sifting through all of your personal stuff, why don't you throw some heat toward the NSA? I betcha they've got more data on you than Google does.