Thread: HHS Mommy Sebelius, Federal Government 'Our Federal Family'. Daddy EPA SWATs Alaskans

HHS Mommy Sebelius, Federal Government 'Our Federal Family'. Daddy EPA SWATs Alaskans

"While our federal family is becoming better prepared to support the nation, we know that being truly resilient requires the whole community coming together," she said. http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susa...federal-family

Did it really take eight armed men and a squad-size display of paramilitary force to check for dirty water? Some of the miners, who run small businesses, say they felt intimidated. Others wonder if the actions of the agents put everyone at risk. When your family business involves collecting gold far from nowhere, unusual behavior can be taken as a sign someone might be trying to stage a robbery. How is a remote placer miner to know the people in the jackets saying POLICE really are police? http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...nded-epa-raids
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I read this and now we are also seeing the word "norms" creeping into the conversation too.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_water View Post
    I read this and now we are also seeing the word "norms" creeping into the conversation too.
    Yes, it is a technical word.

A hint at its significance might be found in the statement, from economics IIRC Walter E. Williams (or maybe Thomas Sowell); normative and prescriptive statements, characterized by would, should and could, have no inherent truth value. Karl Popper argues the term in 'Open Society (2013)' pp 56 - 70.

Founder's Club Member
    Heh, heh, heh.

I got five dollars that says the huge show of force was because government is afraid of the citizens. At least in the remote areas of Alaska.

I'm betting the fed****s didn't much like the idea of armed miners possibly taking exception to their pushy nosiness. I'll bet many Alaskans, especially anybody who mines for placer gold, is pretty independent-minded. And, the fed****s scared themselves into thinking the miners might resist violently.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-15-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    ... I'll bet many Alaskans, especially anybody who mines for placer gold, is pretty independent-minded..
    Thanks. I resemble that remark. I used to work (box and pan) on a college friend's family placer claim on the Merced River in California near the Bryceburg Road intersection with CA-140.

The next flat belonged to a Basque hermit retired shepherd that supplemented his SS with black sand that he mined from a network of spiderholes. Pete always had a couple of 16 oz sticks Dynamit Nobel in his backpocket - to balance his crippling hernias in front. The hunters would shoot across the river at the deer grazing in his garden and he'd shoot back. Then the sheriff would come and take his guns. Pete would disappear for a couple of days and be back with an arm full. He's twenty years gone to his reward.

Armed EPA raid in Alaska sheds light on 70 fed agencies with armed divisions.

The agencies employ about 120,000 full-time officers authorized to carry guns and make arrests, according to a June 2012 Justice Department report.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fleo08.pdf

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...cmp=latestnews