• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Oberlin Parks Open Carry Education Event, 7 Sep and 15 Sep

eye95

I'm thinking about coming, but will have a +1. Does anyone have room for two people from Cincinnati?

Well, if you can drive to Fairborn, we can carpool from there, picking up MWSY in Columbus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
What time would we need to meet you? Please PM me an address.

Thanks.

Wait a minute - ride with that lunatic MWSY?? NO WAY Jose! :eek: ;)

Last edited:

eye95

The reply is simple: It is not the carry that should be banned. It is the leaving behind of unattended ammunition that should be unlawful.

Making the carry unlawful is the equivalent of having a person in a running car parked in the parking space in front of the bank being unlawful because it could be part of a bank robbery. No. It is the bank robbery that is the violation of others and that should be illegal.

Making an act illegal because it could lead to another act that should be illegal is silly. Such silly thinking could lead to making anything illegal. After all, if visiting the park were illegal, no one could leave behind a magazine! Let's ban visiting parks!

What happened was wrong (not illegal, as it turns out, but still wrong). We should all take responsibility for it and not deny its wrongness. We should however point out that if an act were to be made illegal, it should be the act of leaving unattended ammunition in the park that be made illegal, not the carry.

Let he who has done nothing unsafe, ever, cast the first aspersion!

eye95

The bus from SW Ohio will be leaving the Fairborn area (either from the Kauffman terminus or the 235/675 terminus, TBD) at 0700, arriving at the Galloway station between 0800 and 0830, departing within minutes for the Oberlin destination. It is the train they call the City of New Orleans. It'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done. (Well, 350.)

BTW, where on Park Street is the Park? My GPS does not know that park. TIA.

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

My wife won't let me post about joking about leaving large amounts of stray loaded magazines in my wake.

:rolleyes:

Yes. That's right.

MyWifeSaidNo

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/...g-gun-legalization-gathering-in-oberlin-park/

Expect for the people against us to be bringing this up tomorrow. But the police chief agrees that the councilman's reaction was unfounded and a little exaggerated. Btw, a "clip", really? Lol

“I called (Kuzawa) and pointed it out to him, and said that’s why we didn’t want guns in the park, because accidents can happen,” [Councilman Bryan Burgess] said.

So, is he going to ban cars in the city?

SteveInCO

It's hard to get a read from this--would you say the "pro" crowd outnumbered the "anti" crowd or not?

It does look like people on both sides interacted a lot.

There are multiple pictures of a woman with a purple shirt and a blue jacket, making me think she's someone you know, but I see no signs she's carrying.

One "traditional" looking (wood rifle stock) rifle and at least two "EBGs" on the long gun side of the ledger.

eye95

By my count, 47 pros. I did not count antis, but would estimate 10-12.

Amazing day. A lot of good and useful interactions with the antis.

One person did drop a bombshell. He said that the repeal would not pass the third vote, but that the ordinance is unenforceable and that we should trust them not to enforce it! Ask Jonathon Norris, Roy Call, Skidmark, etc. about being charged for something unenforceable!

Anyway, this person dropped another bombshell which caused every jaw in the vicinity to also drop: He said that if the repeal passes, the he will run for the board and repeal the repeal. HUGE mistake to say that on tape. He is announcing the city's intent to violate 9.68. That should destroy any immunity for the city should anyone ever be arrested under the ordinance.

We have it on tape. The recording will be uploaded to the 'Net. Transcripts of the errant statement will be posted here. Once I pointed that out to him, he started backpedalling. He realizes that his recorded words just made it legally hazardous for him to follow through with his threat. Just as well. We should rather that the city NOT do anything illegal than we get to nail them for having done something illegal.

Also, look for more news on this later from folks better able to discuss it. But we may have just acquired some HEAVYWEIGHT help in our efforts. Our rallies are making a huge difference. They are grassroots, spontaneous, and networked (rather than directed top-down in a bloombergian way). Folks are finding out about these rallies from OFCC, BFA, Neo Carry, facebook, OCDO, and word of mouth, then just showing up in large numbers from all over the State. (BB62 probably travelled the furthest, about 4 1/2 drive time each way, picking up some passengers along the way.)

I have an eye95 Twitter feed that has not been really used for anything. I am going to start using it strictly to announce rallies everywhere in Ohio, regardless of initial source. If you know of an event that I have not put on the feed, tell me, and I will announce it, updating the details regularly. That is all I will do with the feed, so if you are looking for news on Ohio RKBA rallies, follow the feed, and keep me up to date on rally news so that the feed can be a central clearing house for that news.

Again, amazing day at Oberlin park. I anxiously await the vote tomorrow.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...BB62 probably travelled the furthest, about 4 1/2 drive time each way...
And Color of Law too!

It was great to see and talk with eye95 & MWSY at length as well as the opportunity to see and meet new and old contacts.

It was especially enjoyable and enlightening to speak with those from Oberlin who do not see things the way we do. There was plenty of respectful conversation to be had. Great stuff.

One "news" woman was especially despicable - going around and asking multiple people to pull their loaded firearms out of their holsters, then putting them back in, and asking people to drop their firearm on the ground for her "story'. I believe someone from our side got her on audio or video. Disgusting.

It's bedtime for me!

Last edited:

JustaShooter

One "news" woman was especially despicable - going around and asking multiple people to pull their loaded firearms out of their holsters, then putting them back in, and asking people to drop their firearm on the ground for her "story'. I believe someone from our side got her on audio or video. Disgusting.

I hope among the resounding chorus of "No!" and incredulous looks she also got a pointed education on why that would be irresponsible for a LC to do.