• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Filming/Recording OC Encounters

Schlepnier

509 be aware that tech has been in, around, and employed in the law enforcement community for many years. he is just picking up familiar vibes.

To Bebop

One of the things you may notice is the motto of the organizations-"a right not exercised is a right lost"

In a way we are all making a statement at the very basic level. to educate the public and the law enforcement community about the rights that they are ignorant of, or incorrect about. Additionally i like to OC because in many cases it is quite a bit more comfortable. I also always audio record my OC in public places for my own personal safety.

At times we run into bad behavior by LEOs and in such cases it is important for us not to re-enforce ingrained bad behavior, this may irritate some officers when they are made to realize not everything coming out of their mouths is a lawful order that must be obeyed. at times our words may not be enough, but costing the cities and their public servants legal woes and large cash payouts is sometimes required to remind them who they work for and what rules they are required to follow, like what just occurred in Belligham.

Long gun carry:
Our site does not support or promote it, that's a discussion for another forum and organization. the reality is that long guns are to unwieldy to carry in daily activities, so while it is a legal activity in our state, it doesn't really help the point we are trying to get across.

As for your opening question on MWAG calls, aside from proper training of dispatchers the only thing an officer, in complying with terry V Ohio, is required to do is- LOOK -to see if there is reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime is being or about to be committed. aside from this he has no legal or reasonable grounds to contact a person for OC.

Last edited:

MattinWA

Seriously?

You know that if the cops wanted to gauge our opinions they could simply lurk on the forum like everyone else does right?

Don't be silly, it's much easier (and cheaper) for the government to see what your doing on your computer then by dispatching lurkers to stalk forums. You all watch the news, right?

bebop4one

Well I'm certainly not a cop. I did try to join the LAPD once but I ended up realizing I had a bit of an issue with authority. Everyone there from the people who administered the tests to the detectives who interviewed me seemed either smug or arrogant. I even know a few cops and get the same vibe from them.

Gunner, I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying. I think what you mean is that we are the employers because our taxes pay their salaries? If that is what you mean I respectfully disagree. With that mentality I should have every right to start grilling the mailman about policies on delivering the mail. They are, after all, paid with our taxes. If I read your statement wrong then excuse the error.

Anyway I am very pro 2A which is something we all share. Even if our opinions are a little different at the moment.

Contrarian

mattinwa":
"Our site does not support or promote it, that's a discussion for another forum and organization."

Is there not an exception made for CA as rifle open carry is the only 'right to carry' that they enjoy?

MattinWA

mattinwa":
"Our site does not support or promote it, that's a discussion for another forum and organization."

Is there not an exception made for CA as rifle open carry is the only 'right to carry' that they enjoy?
I believe there is, but the videos he is referring to do not take place in CA. Im not here to enforce or even report violators of the forums policy, just making people aware that they do have a specific policy on the subject.

OC for ME

Every cop knows that we have a enumerated right to keep and bear arms. Some are not adverse to infringing upon our right. Even in a polite way.

imalurker

Well I'm certainly not a cop. I did try to join the LAPD once but I ended up realizing I had a bit of an issue with authority. Everyone there from the people who administered the tests to the detectives who interviewed me seemed either smug or arrogant. I even know a few cops and get the same vibe from them.

Ditto.. In my younger days I took a few administration of justice classes at our jr college taught by local cops. After about the third class and a dozen ride-a-longs, I was disgusted with their behavior and decided it wasn't for me.

deanf

Meh I don't like you so I'm going to ignore you from now on.

Welcome to OCDO-WA, where the mortality rate for new members is high (we tend to eat our own young.) Few make it.

Oh, and don't bother encouraging people to consider both sides of a story, even (heavens!) the police's side. It's simply not tolerated and is like signing your own death warrant.

skeith5

Welcome to OCDO-WA, where the mortality rate for new members is high (we tend to eat our own young.) ...snip[/COLOR]

Which is too bad. I was a newbie to open carry just a short time ago. I believed everyone should get a conceal carry permit and was lukewarm on the whole open carry thing. I read a lot of posts from people that I could never imagine agreeing with. SVG for example. I thought most of his posts were really out there. In the past year I've learned a lot and consider SVG to be a friend now. I've OC'ed a lot and have met a lot of good people face to face. Stick with it, learn what you can and don't take the crusty old farts on here too seriously...

kparker

Which is too bad. I was a newbie to open carry just a short time ago. I believed everyone should get a conceal carry permit and was lukewarm on the whole open carry thing. I read a lot of posts from people that I could never imagine agreeing with. SVG for example. I thought most of his posts were really out there. In the past year I've learned a lot and consider SVG to be a friend now. I've OC'ed a lot and have met a lot of good people face to face. Stick with it, learn what you can and don't take the crusty old farts on here too seriously...

Oh, man, where's the LIKE button?????

:)

bebop4one

Haha I appreciate the welcomes. I don't plan on going anywhere and I'm used to Internet arguments. I definitely see how opinions can change after being around this community for a while. I look forward to the day that I'm comfortable enough to OC everywhere I can.

sudden valley gunner

+1 I said it before and I will say it again the way the departments are now attract certain personalities.

Gunner, I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying. I think what you mean is that we are the employers because our taxes pay their salaries? If that is what you mean I respectfully disagree. With that mentality I should have every right to start grilling the mailman about policies on delivering the mail. They are, after all, paid with our taxes. If I read your statement wrong then excuse the error.

They are public employees, we are the public, they need to respect their employers.
They are authorized to fulfill certain duties, our money is stolen for them to do. You have every right to go to the local PD and demand to know about their policies, you can even request it and their personnel files, I have done it.
In my opinion we need to stress the master/servant relationship and start demanding respect from those who work off the productive members of society. This isn't just cops though, this needs to be known all the way up to the chain of public servants, the president, congress, senators, etc.

Anyway I am very pro 2A which is something we all share. Even if our opinions are a little different at the moment.

+1 What a boring world if we all shared the same opinions on everything, celebrate our fundamental rights including the one to disagree! :cool:

Thank you, I consider you a friend too and I know I programmed your number right this time. ;)

bebop4one

hey gunner, disregard my post in the experiences/stories while carrying thread. i see you already replied. i'm glad i've found a place where i can have good conversations with people.

Stretch

In my opinion we need to stress the master/servant relationship and start demanding respect from those who work off the productive members of society.

Just remember, they are also paying taxes, like the rest of us "productive" members of society.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

sudden valley gunner

Just remember, they are also paying taxes, like the rest of us "productive" members of society.

Which is silly. Money is stolen to give to them and then the state takes some back.....

The point is government and government jobs never produce anything, they never ad to the economy, they take from the economy.

Stretch

Silly, but sometimes necessary for oversight and functionality of a community. I think on a whole, our government(s) are too bloated, but the Iocal levels are more necessary than not.

sudden valley gunner

Silly, but sometimes necessary for oversight and functionality of a community. I think on a whole, our government(s) are too bloated, but the Iocal levels are more necessary than not.

To be clear the part I was saying was silly was that money is stolen given to someone for a public service and then they steal some of that money back.

I think local is just as bloated and a lot of it is just as unnecessary.

Last edited:

hermannr

If an officer is told to respond to a MWG call by dispatch, they have the choice just to not show up?? Can you prove this?

His responsibility, if actually dispatched to such a call, would be to personally observe if the weapon was being "displayed" in such a manner as to cause concern for public safety. The mere fact that a person is openly carrying a firearm in a public is not a cause for concern...or a cause for an officer to make contact. He can complete his MWAG call by filling out the report...to say...."responded to call XXXX, observed nothing illegal, no contact made"

I have carried openly, most of the time without a CPL, for the last 43 years. I have had one MWAG call made on me (about 30 years ago). The Sheriff's deputy did make contact with me, and asked "Hunting?" I answered "Yep" and that was the end of our conversation.

hermannr

To be clear the part I was saying was silly was that money is stolen given to someone for a public service and then they steal some of that money back.

I think local is just as bloated and a lot of it is just as unnecessary.

Yep, like the contractor that has a public works contract has to pay B&O and sales tax on everything used in the public works contact...which of course just increases the cost of the contact.