• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry City of Las Vegas Parks

DocRed

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I have tried searching but could not find a definitive answer. A few weeks ago I was walking past a park and a motorcop warned me that firearms were not allowed inside the park. Is this disinformation that is similar to the NRS that only applies to concealed carry in public buildings?
I have heard that open carry is okay in Henderson parks though? Guidance on this would be great and applicable NRS's would be a lot of help.

Thanks,
Doc Red

The Big Guy

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I have tried searching but could not find a definitive answer. A few weeks ago I was walking past a park and a motorcop warned me that firearms were not allowed inside the park. Is this disinformation that is similar to the NRS that only applies to concealed carry in public buildings?
I have heard that open carry is okay in Henderson parks though? Guidance on this would be great and applicable NRS's would be a lot of help.

Thanks,
Doc Red

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, carry in Henderson parks is ok. Make sure it is a Henderson City park and not a county park within Henderson.

Las Vegas abolished their law and wrote a new one. This is not legal under state preemption. So, you will be arrested and taken to jail. If you get a lawyer and fight it, it will most likely be dropped as they don't want to be ruled against and have their code overturned. If you can get it to trial you will most likely win. If not, you will win on appeal.

That's it in a nutshell.

TBG

DocRed

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, carry in Henderson parks is ok. Make sure it is a Henderson City park and not a county park within Henderson.

Las Vegas abolished their law and wrote a new one. This is not legal under state preemption. So, you will be arrested and taken to jail. If you get a lawyer and fight it, it will most likely be dropped as they don't want to be ruled against and have their code overturned. If you can get it to trial you will most likely win. If not, you will win on appeal.

That's it in a nutshell.

TBG
Interesting, do county parks have a ban? What about NLV and Boulder City?
Is there other avenues of approach to get the code overturned that doesn't result in arrest/legal $$$/confiscation of weapon for who knows how long?
If not, what are the penalties of breaking the code?

Edit: Also, does this apply to CC as well?

Last edited:

The Big Guy

Interesting, do county parks have a ban? What about NLV and Boulder City?
Is there other avenues of approach to get the code overturned that doesn't result in arrest/legal $$$/confiscation of weapon for who knows how long?
If not, what are the penalties of breaking the code?

Edit: Also, does this apply to CC as well?

County, Yes, though not legal under preemption.

NLV, Yes, ditto.

Boulder city, not enforced per the city attorney.

We can get the state to change it, the various councils to change it, voter initiative.

No idea what the penalties are. Saying again, if you fight it, it likely will be dropped and never get that far (in my opinion).

TBG

jpa

Welcome to the forum.

That's it in a nutshell.

TBG

I went round and round with Stavros Anthony's assistant Anthony Ruggerio about this when they were debating the law. His opinion is that if the city attorney says it's legal, then it's legal. I even emailed him a copy of the state preemption law and told him how displeased I was with the concept of my tax dollars being wasted in unnecessary legal fights. Especially ones the city has no hope of winning. Nice guy but I think his confidence is misguided.

The way the new ordinance is written, it exempts firearms "as permitted by law"
13.36.020 Prohibitions.
(A)The following are prohibited within any City park, recreational facility or public plaza, including any parking area that serves the park, facility or plaza:
(6) Firearms, archery equipment or other weapons of any kind, except as otherwise provided in Subsection (D);

(D) The prohibition set forth in Paragraph (6) of Subsection (A) shall not apply to:

(1)Activities specifically approved under this Chapter in connection with a particular event;
(2)The possession of firearms that is otherwise permitted by State law; or
(3)The possession of a concealed weapon by a person who holds a valid permit to do so that has been issued under, or is recognized pursuant to, the provisions of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369.

Vegassteve

I went round and round with Stavros Anthony's assistant Anthony Ruggerio about this when they were debating the law. His opinion is that if the city attorney says it's legal, then it's legal. I even emailed him a copy of the state preemption law and told him how displeased I was with the concept of my tax dollars being wasted in unnecessary legal fights. Especially ones the city has no hope of winning. Nice guy but I think his confidence is misguided.

The way the new ordinance is written, it exempts firearms "as permitted by law"

I went to stavros as well about parks and libraries over a year ago and got no place. They just passed me on to the city, and didnt seem to care about what the law is.