• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk Serpa CQC Paddle Holster

bebop4one

I just ordered a new holster (mentioned in the title) after a little incident I had this past weekend. My old nylon holster just isn't going to cut it if I want to be out hiking. Although I have read a lot of reviews online, I was hoping to get opinions from people who've used it. Has anyone noticed that safety concern about the locking mechanism?

BTW I'll be using it for my Gen III Glock 23. Thanks.

Dougcr

I have had that Serpa holster for just short of a year now and used it every single day. I love how it fits, feels, and have never had a problem with anything not working properly on it except.... for the fact that it has rubbed both sides of the stainless finish on my slide and has left permanent marks on it, not happy at all.

I have recently purchased a new holster from Galco and absolutely love it so far, not sure how it would work for your hiking trips as it may do the same as what your nylon holster did, being it has the retention strap at the top.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=9tYTbu87kxqhrHf-t0XHxQ&bvm=bv.51773540,d.aWM

Last edited:

jeeper1

I think so highly of the Blackhawk Serpa holsters that I have 4 of them for my various carry guns. In fact if I can't get a Blackhawk Serpa holster for a carry gun I probably won't buy the gun.

bebop4one

I think so highly of the Blackhawk Serpa holsters that I have 4 of them for my various carry guns. In fact if I can't get a Blackhawk Serpa holster for a carry gun I probably won't buy the gun.

Jeeper, Dougcr mentioned earlier that the holster eventually began to rub the finish off of his pistol's slide. Did you encounter this as well? It's not a huge issue but I love my Glock and want it looking pristine :cool:

Last edited:

N605TW

Activist Member
I use a serpa everyday. The only complaint I have is it rubs the slide of my gun. I carry a Glock so I don't mind.

I have carried both a level 2 and 3. Both are fast and will retain your weapon in almost any activity that you do.

Maintenance is very low. Once in a blue moon I will wipe mine down with a rag. I highly recommend the Serpa holsters.

jeeper1

I've got no holster wear marks on any of my guns and my XD40 has been carried almost daily for over 3 and a half years in my Serpa holster.

N605TW

Activist Member
I've got no holster wear marks on any of my guns and my XD40 has been carried almost daily for over 3 and a half years in my Serpa holster.

My wear marks are not bad and I will only notice them if I actively look for them. How tight is your retention screw?

RedRuger

Blackhawk Serpa Holsters

I like my Blackhawk Serpa holsters too. The serious problems that people have reported have to do with the way the serpa release lever is used. If you have your trigger finger flat on the release lever; when the gun comes out of the holster your finger is flat on the slide where it belongs. However; if you use the tip of your trigger finger on the serpa release lever then when the gun comes out of the holster your finger sometimes ends up inside the trigger Gard and touching the trigger. This sometimes leads to a negligent discharge and shooting ones self in the leg or foot. It is a matter of training to use the serpa release properly.

g21sfpistol

Banned
I like my Blackhawk Serpa holsters too. The serious problems that people have reported have to do with the way the serpa release lever is used. If you have your trigger finger flat on the release lever; when the gun comes out of the holster your finger is flat on the slide where it belongs. However; if you use the tip of your trigger finger on the serpa release lever then when the gun comes out of the holster your finger sometimes ends up inside the trigger Gard and touching the trigger. This sometimes leads to a negligent discharge and shooting ones self in the leg or foot. It is a matter of training to use the serpa release properly.

it is a matter of trainning with any holster. i have actually tried to get my finger in the trigger with my serpas and i could never get my finger into the trigger guard. ive used serpas for years either carried on the hip or a drop leg.

you will like your serpa. nylon and leather are out dated if you ask me. i do like the leather plastic hybird of the galco king tuck though. i have worn one out though due to the leather side. it looked like the leather was ready to fold into the trigger guard. just after time with sweat and trainning with it. my serpas have lasted longer and my iwb plastic holster have lasted longer but just isnt as comfortable. always inspect your gear.

Aknazer

I used a serpa for a 92FS with a drop leg setup for six months and had no problems with it. I then used one for my XDm for three months and had no problems with it. Only reason I'm not still using it is because the Peoples Republic of Kommifornia doesn't allow one to OC.

With that said I believe there are a few people on this board that have had bad experiences with the serpa. So I would say give it a shot, train with it, and if you find that iu don't like it then don't be scared to try something else until you find a holster that you like.

mdak06

FWIW ... I recently got a Serpa CQC for my Gen4 Glock 23, so I haven't had it long but I've used it a bit. My basic thoughts:

From what I can tell (following what RedRuger mentioned) some people fail to press on the retention mechanism properly and they occasionally end up with a negligent discharge. This happens because they curve their finger to get more pressure on the retention mechanism, and then the finger may slide inside the trigger guard (and possibly press against the trigger and fire the weapon). Using it properly - with the finger kept straight - should prevent this problem.

The retention system seems to work very well. Out hiking it should be plenty strong enough to keep it in place. One concern that comes to mind - and this is my speculation, not based on any reports that I have heard - is that if you're open carrying, anyone who knows how to release a Serpa holster might be able to make a decent attempt to pull the gun out, since the retention mechanism is released on the outside of the holster.

This could probably be stopped by having a forward cant, using situational awareness, being prepared to defend against an attempted theft, etc. I don't know if this type of attempted theft occurs much, if at all ... but it might be more of a concern vs. a holster that has a retention mechanism that is disabled closer to the body and/or on the inside of the holster.

I don't know if it causes finish problems or not (I haven't used it long enough to know yet).

Hope this helps.

Motofixxer

I started with the Serpa's then switched to the Safariland ALS series and prefer them having a thumb release. Basically because of this aspect below:

[video=youtube;zYvAxLX6OzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE[/video]

I have more holsters listed at http://www.tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns there is a Gcode one that has a quick release mount system that seems pretty cool. Some may be into it.

Sorcice

I have used a serpa cqc for every OC EDC I've ever owned. 4 now. The only advice I can give is not tightening that screw down too hard. If you do you get the wear marks and a bit of a scraping noise. Only using the button retention makes the draw silent.

g21sfpistol

Banned
I started with the Serpa's then switched to the Safariland ALS series and prefer them having a thumb release. Basically because of this aspect below:

[video=youtube;zYvAxLX6OzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE[/video]

I have more holsters listed at http://www.tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns there is a Gcode one that has a quick release mount system that seems pretty cool. Some may be into it.

you know whats funny is it you actually watch the video he was using the thumb break 5.11 style holster then switched to a blackhawk. he even blamed him self. so i assume you only watched the first 1:30 of the video cause right after that he explains what happened.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have used a serpa cqc for every OC EDC I've ever owned. 4 now. The only advice I can give is not tightening that screw down too hard. If you do you get the wear marks and a bit of a scraping noise. Only using the button retention makes the draw silent.

I fooled around the other evening with the tension screw on mine. I found that having them a bit looser like you say works better.

I have used mine for about 5 years now never touch the tension it was a loose fit. Until the other evening I went back it being loose. I like being able to drop the pistol into the holster and have it lock in place instead of having to shove it place with pressure.

Aknazer

FWIW ... I recently got a Serpa CQC for my Gen4 Glock 23, so I haven't had it long but I've used it a bit. My basic thoughts:

From what I can tell (following what RedRuger mentioned) some people fail to press on the retention mechanism properly and they occasionally end up with a negligent discharge. This happens because they curve their finger to get more pressure on the retention mechanism, and then the finger may slide inside the trigger guard (and possibly press against the trigger and fire the weapon). Using it properly - with the finger kept straight - should prevent this problem.

The retention system seems to work very well. Out hiking it should be plenty strong enough to keep it in place. One concern that comes to mind - and this is my speculation, not based on any reports that I have heard - is that if you're open carrying, anyone who knows how to release a Serpa holster might be able to make a decent attempt to pull the gun out, since the retention mechanism is released on the outside of the holster.

This could probably be stopped by having a forward cant, using situational awareness, being prepared to defend against an attempted theft, etc. I don't know if this type of attempted theft occurs much, if at all ... but it might be more of a concern vs. a holster that has a retention mechanism that is disabled closer to the body and/or on the inside of the holster.

I don't know if it causes finish problems or not (I haven't used it long enough to know yet).

Hope this helps.

Really that could be said about almost any design. In the desert I had someone release my gun (note that we don't carry with one in the tube and the gun did not actually come out of the holster, but simply moved 0.5" before he re-seated it) simply to show that it "could" be done. Even with me sitting still it took him a few seconds to properly release the gun and start to move it. Had I moved at all he wouldn't have been able to depress the button and move the gun without either some serious work or actually struggling to stop me.

If you're really concerned with it clear your weapon and have a friend attempt to remove the gun from the holster both while you're moving and again while your standing still. Then repeat the exercise but provide even mild resistance once he moves towards the gun. You will find that it's far easier to think it can be done than for it to actually be done. Of course if the perp has trained in disarming someone they will be far more effective at it, but that applies to any type of retention system and while being a "possibility" is highly improbable.