Thread: The NSA has huge capabilities. Here are five ways to STAY SAFE. UK Guardian

The NSA has huge capabilities. Here are five ways to STAY SAFE. UK Guardian

1. Hide in the network. Implement hidden services. Use Tor to anonymize yourself.
    2. Encrypt your communications. Use TLS. Use IPsec.
    3. Assume that while your computer can be compromised, it would take work and risk on the part of the NSA so it probably isn't.
    4. Be suspicious of commercial encryption software, especially from large vendors.
    5. Try to use public-domain encryption that has to be compatible with other implementations

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...e-surveillance
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

99% of people don't care if the government is spying on them. in fact, people today are so narcissistic and exhibitionist I think they WANT the government spying on them.

Banned
    there was just a story stating that the encryption is worthless...

Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    99% of people don't care if the government is spying on them.
    Well, that's simply not true.

Well you could use images. You handwrite, with script on a piece of paper, crumple it to prevent easy recognition, scan it into a jpg file and send all your email that way.

It would not appear to be an encrypted image, but it wouldn't allow simple text scanning, either.\

But, AFAIK, encrypted communication is one of those that gets additional checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    But, AFAIK, encrypted communication is one of those that gets additional checking.
    Public key RSA encryption is secure. Trust the maths.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Yup.

When I used my computer I treat it like a compromised beast. If you use Windows, you are already compromised, most major software is also likely compromised.

If you don't want anyone to know your business, don't use your computer to perpetrate it.

Then on top of that, many people use social media, which just further compromises them in ways most don't even fathom.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    I don't see how #3 makes you safer. It basically just says don't be too paranoid, but I'm not sure how that actually makes you safer per se. Unless you locked things down so tight that your usability suffered too much and it led to over-compensation and loosening security too much. But, I don't think a paranoid person would ever do that.

I think the problem truly is, though, that good security is not yet easy to learn and implement. Most people are not tech savvy enough to start encrypting emails or something like that with open source or other non-commercial tools. Most would probably not be able to simply implement TOR one night. Etc. etc. Even most computer techs I know would have to be extremely dedicated to doing it to actually get it done. For most, it's not worth a weekend's worth of late nights to figure it all out. For me, it hasn't been. I've used TOR, but learning it to the level that'd be required to reasonably "ensure" anonymity is pretty involved. Just starting up a browser with a TOR plug-in or whatever, is not enough.

Some of the other points, aren't really applicable/possible. Like "Use TLS". Well, unless you're hosting the service, you don't get to decide whether or not to use TLS (or SSL). For example, say you wanted to follow this rule #2 right now. Go add the S to your HTTP /\ oops, doesn't work, because forums.opencarry.org isn't offered over https. You are SOL, you have no choice to use SSL or TLS here. Same with IPsec I think. Your opportunities to actually use IPsec in your daily computer activities are going to be few and far between.

Just my .02

Not that I have any better advice, so I guess I shouldn't criticize too much.

I'd also keep in mind that just because an intercepted communication may not be immediately decipherable, you shouldn't consider it "secure". With the NSA and possibly other organizations dumping network traffic into mass storage, they may just pull some comms back up in about 10 or 15 years after there's been a breakthrough or two in cryptography, any maybe after a vulnerability or two have been found in the protocols you were previously using to secure your comms.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 09-07-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I doubt you'd feel confident enough to send a very, uh, 'naughty' message to a VIP encrypted as such. I'm pretty sure you'd get a 'visit'.

Of course, you're right on the math. 2^256 is a very large number. They'd have to have another way to do the decryption.