• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Change in policy at fair grounds? Puyallup

Jeff Hayes

Take it for what it is worth.
Many Fairgrounds are actually owned by the County and ran by a Foundation that was created to run the Fair Grounds on the behalf of the County.
When I first moved back to Yakima there were similar issues until I addressed the County Commissioners and all firearms restrictions outside what the Legislature provided for were removed.

Here is what Pierce County GIS has;
http://matterhorn3.co.pierce.wa.us/publicgis/

Information Current as of 09/06/2013 5:41AM Pacific Time

Thanks Dave that is exactly what I was thinking.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I looked into this a couple years back. The fair GROUNDS are privately owned not owned by a government. The fair is ran by a private entity.

Since everything is private, preemption does not apply. I concealed without any issues. No bag searches or patdowns when I went.

tombrewster421

Take it for what it is worth.
Many Fairgrounds are actually owned by the County and ran by a Foundation that was created to run the Fair Grounds on the behalf of the County.
When I first moved back to Yakima there were similar issues until I addressed the County Commissioners and all firearms restrictions outside what the Legislature provided for were removed.

Here is what Pierce County GIS has;
http://matterhorn3.co.pierce.wa.us/publicgis/

Search Business Licenses
License Information:
Entity Name: WESTERN WASHINGTON FAIR ASSOCIATION
Business Name: THE PUYALLUP FAIR
License Type: Washington State Business
Entity Type: Profit Corporation
UBI: 275000273 Business ID:001 Location ID:0003
Status: To check the status of this company, go to Secretary of State and Department of Revenue.

Location Address:
110 9TH AVE SW
PUYALLUP, WA, 98371-6811

Mailing Address:
110 9TH AVE SW
PUYALLUP, WA, 98371-6811
View Additional Locations
Status Expires First Issued
Registered Trade Names:
THE PUYALLUP FAIR Active N/A 02/03/1987
THE STATE FAIR OF WASHINGTON Active N/A 01/02/2008
THE WASHINGTON STATE FAIR Active N/A 01/02/2008
Governing People:
CARL HOGAN
DAVID CAMPBELL
GARY GONTER
MICHAEL NELSON

Information Current as of 09/06/2013 5:41AM Pacific Time

Interesting that along with the name change they seem to have gone from a non-profit to a for profit business.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Also I know you previously looked into this but to what extent I don't know but a more in-depth look into the relationship of the county and the commission concerning the true ownership of the fair grounds and actual control of the property.
Does the fair association have the ability to sell the property or a portion of and where would the profits end up? I would think it would be in the county coffers.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

Bill Starks

State Researcher
this is currently posted on the website

BOARD & MANAGEMENT
The Washington State Fair is a private, not-for-profit, 501-C3 corporation. It receives no government subsidy, and pays city and state taxes. Any proceeds are invested back into the Fair for improvements.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

DIRECTORS
Carl Hogan, President
Gary Gonter, Vice President
Michael Nelson, Secretary
David Campbell, Treasurer
Jerry Larson, Past President
Jerome Korum
Kenneth Scholz
W. David Schodde, Jr.
Roger Knutson
Candace Blancher
Daniel McClung
Gary Tucci

DIRECTORS EMERITI
Harry Corliss
Thomas Absher
Paul Anderson
Thomas Tebb
Dennis Elvins

MANAGEMENT TEAM
Kent Hojem, Chief Executive Officer - kent@thefair.com
Renee McClain, Chief Financial Officer - renee@thefair.com
Glen Baskett, Physical Plant Manager - glen@thefair.com
Alan Baker, Facilities Grounds Manager - alan@thefair.com
Debbie Baker, Facility Rental / Event Services Manager - debbie@thefair.com
Karen LaFlamme, Public Relations Counsel - karen@thefair.com
Dan Sharp, Vendor Services Manager - dan@thefair.com
Paula Beadle, Sponsorship Manager - paula@thefair.com
Tracey Wittenfeld, Marketing Manager - tracey@thefair.com
Andrea Thayer, Competitive Exhibits / Grounds Entertainment Manager - andreat@thefair.com
Beth Brooks, Foundation Manager - beth@thefair.com
Brenda Bakken - Executive Department Manager - brenda@thefair.com
Bob Carlson, Manager Emeritus - bob@thefair.com

For general questions or other information, please contact us at info@thefair.com.

deanf

Why do you believe this? What commission?

Come on. There is ample evidence to support the fact that the fair and the property it's on is all private. If you've got evidence to the contrary, please present it.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Deanf do a little digging and find out. Prove me wrong or would that take some effort on your part?
I've taken care of the ordinances in violation where I live, how about you?

deanf

Prove me wrong or would that take some effort on your part?

All the evidence is in this thread. You're the one making unsubstantiated claims. The burden's on you. I'm not doing your research for you.

I've taken care of the ordinances in violation where I live, how about you?

I didn't see you at any of the Port of Seattle Commission meetings. I didn't see you at the Washington Ceasefire events. I didn't see you at the University of Washington School of Medicine back in the 90's when we were working to defeat I-676.

Believe me, I've done more than my share of field work for gun rights in this state.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It's in your backyard and yet sit idol, if it was around Yakima then I'm on it as in the past and did it solo with no support and achieved positive results.
My statement on the fair grounds is of my opinion and did not imply it was fact in the Puyallup Fair Grounds thus why I did not cite anything but did give reference that was brought up earlier in this thread.
There are way too many wanting to complain about things but yet want someone else to do it or have to have notoriety or a group to start the ball.
It's long past due to activity engage these issues.
Deanf be a part of the solution instead of sitting back and whining. Take the ball and run with it.

tombrewster421

Dave, it's a well established fact that the fair in Puyallup has been a private entity since it began more than a hundred years ago. It started with a Puyallup farmer simply wanting to show off his produce and grew to something much larger over a hundred years. The research has been done. If anyone found something questionable, don't you think it would be all over here by now?

sirpuma

YOU are way to willing to bow down and let those that would stick it to you, eh? If it is open to the public, and on publicly owned ground, RCW 9.41.300 still applies. You have to get the "Private property rights" stuff where it belongs...at home...

Property, privately or publicly owned, that is open to the general public, has a different set of property rights that you have in your abode. "you" voluntarily give up a lot of your "private property rights" when you open your doors to teh general public.

If you don't think so, when did the state building code mandate you install handicapped accessible doors and ramps on you home?

Technically it isn't open to the general public. You can't just waltz in and out at your leisure. You must purchase a ticket to get in. In purchasing a ticket, you agree to the terms and conditions of the ticket.

mikeyb

It's in your backyard and yet sit idol, if it was around Yakima then I'm on it as in the past and did it solo with no support and achieved positive results.
My statement on the fair grounds is of my opinion and did not imply it was fact in the Puyallup Fair Grounds thus why I did not cite anything but did give reference that was brought up earlier in this thread.
There are way too many wanting to complain about things but yet want someone else to do it or have to have notoriety or a group to start the ball.
It's long past due to activity engage these issues.
Deanf be a part of the solution instead of sitting back and whining. Take the ball and run with it.

No one wanted an opinion, they wanted facts. And specifically, the fairgrounds in Puyallup, not what they're doing in Yakima, Enumclaw, Monroe, or Vancouver. Your post didn't add anything to the conversation.

So, back OT;

The fairground property (ahem... "Washington State Fair & Events Center) is a private, NFP. The fair organization which puts on the event, is a private for-profit business.

PALO

Technically it isn't open to the general public. You can't just waltz in and out at your leisure. You must purchase a ticket to get in. In purchasing a ticket, you agree to the terms and conditions of the ticket.

This is correct. I can't believe people are making an issue of this. We may think it's a bad policy decision for the people who run the fair to prohibit guns, but it IS a private enterprise and thus is entirely within their locus of control - legally speaking, and from a common sense angle as well. Respecting rights means you have to respect the right even when it is used in a manner you disagree with. I respect the 1st amendment. That means I respect the right of people to engage in even the most aborrent speech - such as holocaust denial (illegal in many countries to include Canada and much of Europe). I respect property rights, which means I respect the right of private property owners to prohibit guns.

There have been several posts here that have made it rather inarguable that the fair is a private enterprise, not in any way public. People are harping on irrelevant details, like the name "Washington State Fair" etc. which does not magickally turn a private enterprise into a public one. Even private enterprises, like grocery stores etc. can prohibit guns and they ARE open to the public as invitees/licensees etc. no ticket required. In the case of the fair, it is not just wide open to the general public as the above poster correctly notes - one must purchase a ticket (except for certain hours during the first day of the fair -when it's free. My wife took advantage of that, but I digress), and that's a business transaction where the purchaser of the ticket has the responsibility imo to do his own due diligence and read the rules regarding behavior at the fair BEFORE one purchases the ticket.

There was an incident a while back where a cop went into the Red and Black Cafe in Portland. He bought a cup of coffee. He was chatting with a blogger who was thanking him for his service

http://www.corneliaseigneur.com/where-does-a-police-officer-go-for-a-cup-of-coffee/

When the owner of the store came up and told him to leave.

What did he do?

http://www.portlandmercury.com/Blog...urant-throws-out-cop-after-serving-him-coffee

He left. No muss, no fuss. Cops would certainly be within their rights to engage in free speech (while off duty) to criticize the store owner's decision, to call for a boycott, or to engage in other legal political speech in protest, as is the right of any person who disagree with that policy. But it IS private property and the owner does have the right to prohibit cops from entering (apparently no such sign existed) or to tell them to leave upon their entering and/or after they bought a cup. (note: except for limited circumstances and certain business types (such as bars - they can't prohibit cops from entering, because cops have the right under the law to inspect a bar's taps, server licenses, etc. just like the liquor control board agents do, under the law, without any requirement for reasonable suspicion and are authorized to do so at any time said liquor establishment is open. Any interference with that is going to lead to an obstruction charge http://w201.lcb.wa.gov/enforcement/enforcementQA.asp ))

I respect that property owner's RIGHT to make that decision, to enforce that (apparently unwritten) policy, even though I disagree WITH the decision/policy, just like I respect the RIGHT of the people running the fair to prohibit firearms.

We can discuss all we like whether it's a bad policy, but I don't see any valid argument that the fair management is exceeding their lawful authority, as a private enterprise, to set rules as to what items are prohibited on fair grounds.

I went to 'thefair.com" and pressed the button for the search button. I entered "firearms" and this link popped up

http://www.thefair.com/_assets/9056F2B93E8D029C85128BB80019A2E3/2008FallFactSheet.pdf

You don't even have to click on the link to see the following blurb below it: RESTRICTED PRODUCTS: Animals, balloons, backpacks, drug paraphernalia, firearms, knives, laser pointing devices, ...

If we want people to respect OUR right to carry firearms openly or concealed, in public places, we need to respect a private property owner's right (however unwise) to prohibit our carry of firearms on THEIR private property

Freedom1Man

Thankfully I've had my question answered.

They just changed the name to IMPLY state sponsorship not actually receiving it.

I did not intend to kick off this much discussion.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Dave, it's a well established fact that the fair in Puyallup has been a private entity since it began more than a hundred years ago. It started with a Puyallup farmer simply wanting to show off his produce and grew to something much larger over a hundred years. The research has been done. If anyone found something questionable, don't you think it would be all over here by now?

Curious on how you were or someone was able to establish this is the case?
If indeed it's a private venue and private property then I have no legal issue on them restricting firearms.
Example while here in Central Washington they also have a fair board that maintain and operate the fair grounds essentially for the county.
The Fair Board here also attempted the no firearms ban but later was removed when I addressed the county on conflicting firearms laws with State Preemption.
Just because one says it's a private when dealing with them does not make it so as one believes everything they read on the net. It is like asking an officer for legal advice on firearms possession.
If one was able to find how this fair commission was formed it may well tell a different story.