Thread: Sherando Lake - OC?

Sherando Lake - OC?

My wife and I are planning a camping trip to Sherando Lake in two weeks and again in late October.
    I'm hoping someone can help me out with some clarifications about carrying at Sherando. I tried my Google-Fu and this is where I am on knowledge and questions.

Here is what I know (or think I know):
    Sherando Lake campground is under the authority/operation of USDA National Forest Service
    Carry laws for National Forests in VA are: OC permitted only during general firearms hunting season, CC is ok with CHP at all times on NF lands

Observation:
    On my last visit to Sherando Lake, there was a rules/regulations sign posted near the self-service check-in station and just outside the public showers/restrooms that included the gunbuster image and, if memory serves, text stating firearms are prohibited. (I took a picture of the sign but I seem to have lost the image file)

My questions are (keeping in mind the gunbuster sign that is posted in at least two locations):
    Would OC be legal at the campground during hunting season?
    Would CC be legal at the campground during hunting season and/or outside hunting season?
    Would carry be permitted in the camp store or restrooms? (Federal building)
    What other laws regulations would I need to be concerned about in the campground ( carrying while boating in a canoe on Sherando Lake)?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FBrinson View Post
    My wife and I are planning a camping trip to Sherando Lake in two weeks and again in late October.
    I'm hoping someone can help me out with some clarifications about carrying at Sherando. I tried my Google-Fu and this is where I am on knowledge and questions.

Here is what I know (or think I know):
    Sherando Lake campground is under the authority/operation of USDA National Forest Service
    Carry laws for National Forests in VA are: OC permitted only during general firearms hunting season, CC is ok with CHP at all times on NF lands

Observation:
    On my last visit to Sherando Lake, there was a rules/regulations sign posted near the self-service check-in station and just outside the public showers/restrooms that included the gunbuster image and, if memory serves, text stating firearms are prohibited. (I took a picture of the sign but I seem to have lost the image file)

My questions are (keeping in mind the gunbuster sign that is posted in at least two locations):
    Would OC be legal at the campground during hunting season?
    Would CC be legal at the campground during hunting season and/or outside hunting season?
    Would carry be permitted in the camp store or restrooms? (Federal building)
    What other laws regulations would I need to be concerned about in the campground ( carrying while boating in a canoe on Sherando Lake)?

Any guidance is appreciated.
    It's daybreak and I have to get out and start cutting FB, but will try to answer. You'll get other answers....some bad.
    The during hunting season rule is due to a joint hunting agreement between NC, Va, and the Feds.
    The National Forest can close areas off as they please and do restrict some sections of the NF.

The campground is apparently one area they want to ban the carry of firearms and they can do that.

So concealed or open, permit or not, during the General season or not (Dove and early Goose are in now) they have said no firearms. Despite the idea from some that signs mean nothing...the Law Enforcement Rangers can and will arrest you for violating it as well as the DGIF Conversation Police (Game Wardens).

The best place to check on this is with the National Forest district headquarters.

I was looking over definitions of concealed this morning and a fact came up I wasn't aware of.
    Did you know concealed meant no one could see it. Interesting what you can learn from the dictionary

Another interesting bit of trivia, having grown up on that side of the mountain and having spent most of my youth in the National Forest in pursuit of the wee beasties.

Many of the locals are scoundrels (A Pox on them) and don't care much for CHP's but carry every minute they are in the NF. I forget how the rascals got away with it though.
    Last edited by peter nap; 09-07-2013 at 07:00 AM.

There must be no more mention of the hunting of WEE BEASTIES!

The "Wee Beastie" might get scared.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0907131732 (640x480) (320x240).jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	10780  
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    The "Wee Beastie" might get scared.
    A little bigger Wee Beastie

Last edited by peter nap; 09-07-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

Peter, ifn ya gonna snare dat sow, ya mighta want ta use a bigga rope
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Remind me to

Bring you a dictionary and a new pair of glasses. LOL Love your idea of "A little bigger". It goes well with "Big Guns Save Lives"

;>)

It's daybreak and I have to get out and start cutting FB, but will try to answer. You'll get other answers....some bad.
    The during hunting season rule is due to a joint hunting agreement between NC, Va, and the Feds.
    The National Forest can close areas off as they please and do restrict some sections of the NF.

The campground is apparently one area they want to ban the carry of firearms and they can do that.

So concealed or open, permit or not, during the General season or not (Dove and early Goose are in now) they have said no firearms. Despite the idea from some that signs mean nothing...the Law Enforcement Rangers can and will arrest you for violating it as well as the DGIF Conversation Police (Game Wardens).

The best place to check on this is with the National Forest district headquarters.

I was looking over definitions of concealed this morning and a fact came up I wasn't aware of.
    Did you know concealed meant no one could see it. Interesting what you can learn from the dictionary

Another interesting bit of trivia, having grown up on that side of the mountain and having spent most of my youth in the National Forest in pursuit of the wee beasties.

Many of the locals are scoundrels (A Pox on them) and don't care much for CHP's but carry every minute they are in the NF. I forget how the rascals got away with it though.
    Thanks for the reply! In light of this information, you definitely wont see me carrying anywhere on Sherando Lake Campground or Day Use properties.