• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is OC prohibited at Tucson Meet Yourself?

Rusty Young Man

Hello all,

This one is geared more towards Tucsonians and desert-dwellers in the surrounding area: Have you OCed at Tucson Meet Yourself, or is it prohibited?

While the physical location of TMY takes place on city property, including near govt. buildings, it is also run by a not-for-profit. So would this be the same as the 4th Ave. fair where (legal) carrying of firearms seems to be temporarily suspended? (As evidenced by the impossible-to-miss standalone gunbuster signs)

I don't remember seeing any gun buster signs at TMY last year or the year before, but I have to admit that I was also not looking for any at the time.:confused:

Here is what I found:
Tucson Meet Yourself is a not-for-profit organization run by a Board of Directors made up of 12 community leaders, professionals, educators, and local entrepreneurs.

Tucson Meet Yourself shares a Memorandum of Agreement with the University of Arizona/Southwest Center that loans Dr. Maribel Alvarez (Associate Research Professor) to TMY to serve year-round as Folklorist and Program Director. In addition, the UA provides office space, computer, and administrative support.

Tucson Meet Yourself is the designated official “folk arts agency” for the state of Arizona as determined by the National Endowment for the Arts. TMY is eligible to receive federal funds dedicated to the preservation of living cultural traditions and to document folk practices and serve folk artists statewide.

Tucson Meet Yourself is a Member of the Metropolitan Tucson Convention and Visitors Bureau (MTCVB) and of FEATsAZ (Festival Event Association of Tucson and Southern Arizona) and collaborates regularly with other organizations, festivals, and special events dedicated to promoting a vibrant cultural life for downtown Tucson and the region.

Source: http://www.tucsonmeetyourself.org/mission-and-history/

As I said above, I haven't been able to find any explicit position on carry by attendees on their site, but there is this agreement that vendors must abide by:
ITEMS THAT CAN NOT BE SOLD OR EXHIBITED

Certain commercial, assembly line or mass-produced items such as sunglasses or tourist souvenirs
Objects from commercially available kits or patterns
Spears, bows and arrows, knives, guns or other items that may be or appear dangerous

Source: http://www.tucsonmeetyourself.org/exhibitorguidelines-2013/

I know it isn't until October, but I figured I could ask. Any insight will be appreciated.

Rusty Young Man

YES! +1! AZCDL ROCKS! :cool:

Agreed. AZCDL rocks and knows how to wage legislative battle, and the Annual Meeting of Members was a great time for everyone in attendance.

However, a course requires me to attend Tucson Meet Yourself, or accept a grade deduction of one letter. So I will be attending either way, but*I would rather not go unarmed.

So, does anyone know whether or not OC is prohibited at Tucson Meet Yourself?

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

Agreed. AZCDL rocks and knows how to wage legislative battle, and the Annual Meeting of Members was a great time for everyone in attendance.

However, a course requires me to attend Tucson Meet Yourself, or accept a grade deduction of one letter. So I will be attending either way, but*I would rather not go unarmed.

So, does anyone know whether or not OC is prohibited at Tucson Meet Yourself?

Carry concealed and do't mention it. (Discreet carry)

Rusty Young Man

Sonora! I thought the antis may have gotten you, or you'd fallen off the face of the Earth.:) Would have been a shame, since I was going to ask you for a picture or two of your gunbelt to get a better idea of what I should design into a rig for a 1911 (I'm working on a design for one which I will have made by a young leather guy I know).

Carry concealed and do't mention it. (Discreet carry)

I'm not yet 21, so that is not an option for the time being. I did however OC all over TMY on Friday and Saturday, and had no problems with either the police presence or the hired security. The only encounter I had with police and security was when they received a call about an inebriated man that was sitting right in front of me, and not one of the responders said a word about my sidearm, despite it being in their face (quite literally, since it was eye level for them). So I got to enjoy the festival, and didn't have to feel naked whilst doing so.

Sonora Rebel

Sonora! I thought the antis may have gotten you, or you'd fallen off the face of the Earth.:) Would have been a shame, since I was going to ask you for a picture or two of your gunbelt to get a better idea of what I should design into a rig for a 1911 (I'm working on a design for one which I will have made by a young leather guy I know).

I'm not yet 21, so that is not an option for the time being. I did however OC all over TMY on Friday and Saturday, and had no problems with either the police presence or the hired security. The only encounter I had with police and security was when they received a call about an inebriated man that was sitting right in front of me, and not one of the responders said a word about my sidearm, despite it being in their face (quite literally, since it was eye level for them). So I got to enjoy the festival, and didn't have to feel naked whilst doing so.

It's nothing fancy. Serpa II with a modified Bianchi mag pouch. 'Haven't 'fallen off the earth'... I just get tired of arguing with these 'sovereign citizen' anti-cop types. (Mostly non-Zonies) that continuously troll the AZ forum.

Attachments

• Gunbelt with Serpa 002.jpg
    Gunbelt with Serpa 002.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 101

Rusty Young Man

It's nothing fancy. Serpa II with a modified Bianchi mag pouch. 'Haven't 'fallen off the earth'... I just get tired of arguing with these 'sovereign citizen' anti-cop types. (Mostly non-Zonies) that continuously troll the AZ forum.

Thanks for the pic. What 1911 do you carry? Looks like a GI-style, but that's about all I can tell. Nice grips, BTW (mine are just "working man" rubber Hogue grips). And I definitely want to try out crossdraw; seems like it would be much better suited for easy access to your gun while sitting down.

I'm definitely going through a leather stage (for about 8 years now :D), but I get the gist. Depending on how flamboyant I feel, I may even have it embossed (most of my belts are just plain, smooth, black leather). Might give my GI a "barbeque gun" flair:cool:.

How do you keep the holster and mag pouch from sliding around? Do you use Velcro, clips, screws, etc.?

At the present moment, I use a thick leather belt to hold my 1911 (in its leather holster), two extra mags (in a leather double mag pouch), and some other stuff. I run the belt through the loops in my pants, skipping one or two where the holster goes, and that keeps everything in its general position
I tried not running it through any loops once (at home) to simulate a gunbelt, and I didn't even last 10 minutes without having to readjust everything.

Last edited: