• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle PD, when will you keep your booger hooks off the bang switch?

Freedom1Man

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/soci...ice-officer-accidentally-shoots-unarmed-woman

When the woman refused to comply with his orders, the officer drew his gun from its holster. During the action, he accidentally fired a single shot, which was not lethal.

Police reports state, “at some point the officer encountered the female in the back parking lot of the business. During that encounter a shot was fired and the female was struck once in the lower leg.”

How do you accidentally put your booger hook on the bang switch?

I am not saying that the SPD's victim is innocent, just that the SPD needs to learn better trigger control.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Nothing personal, F1M, but I would give good money to eradicate the phrase booger hook off/on the bang switch.

The common-ness, combined with the complete unnecessity, leaves me...um...unimpressed.

What does nose-picking have to do with guns? Its almost in the same league as, "When looking for a gun, find one that fits your mastubator well."

amzbrady

there was just a news article about how the chief of polices wife doesn't feel safe in Seattle, of course she doesn't, she lives with a cop, she knows how they are. I don't feel safe around cops either.

EMNofSeattle

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/soci...ice-officer-accidentally-shoots-unarmed-woman

When the woman refused to comply with his orders, the officer drew his gun from its holster. During the action, he accidentally fired a single shot, which was not lethal.

Police reports state, “at some point the officer encountered the female in the back parking lot of the business. During that encounter a shot was fired and the female was struck once in the lower leg.”

How do you accidentally put your booger hook on the bang switch?

I am not saying that the SPD's victim is innocent, just that the SPD needs to learn better trigger control.

Ask Tex Grebner
[video=youtube;zYvAxLX6OzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE[/video]

skeith5

Nothing personal, F1M, but I would give good money to eradicate the phrase booger hook off/on the bang switch.

I agree completely! I hate that phrase.

I also would like to see the phrase "touch base" removed from use...

509rifas

I vastly enjoy noting the three synonyms from three different roots; common is from the French, demotic is from the Greek, and vulgar is from the Latin. Of course, a vulgarity is one of the three demotic swearings, the others being obscenity and profanity.

I was under the impression that demotic was a post-hieroglyphic script used for Lower Egyptian.

amzbrady

The common-ness, combined with the complete unnecessity, leaves me...um...unimpressed.

What does nose-picking have to do with guns? Its almost in the same league as, "When looking for a gun, find one that fits your mastubator well."

I agree completely! I hate that phrase.

I also would like to see the phrase "touch base" removed from use...

While were at it, can we work on "It is, what it is"

Maverick9

He drew his gun because he meant to shoot her. He realized at some point that maybe he didn't have cause, but the firing sequence had begun. Oops.

That's the only logical conclusion. I mean who draws their gun if they don't mean to shoot?

So stupid or careless, or careless and stupid?

Freedom1Man

He drew his gun because he meant to shoot her. He realized at some point that maybe he didn't have cause, but the firing sequence had begun. Oops.

That's the only logical conclusion. I mean who draws their gun if they don't mean to shoot?

Or blood thirsty.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

I guess you could be right, but I'm thinking its more likely the cop drew because the fugitive refused to show him her hands. Drawing to low-ready seems a reasonable preparation in case a weapon is produced after the refusal.

Regarding accidental shots, it seems police have a history of accidentally shooting people. One situation that recurred was cops shooting people while cuffing them. Cop holding gun with finger on trigger. Closes cuff and squeezes it down around the arrestee's wrist. The other hand closes in the same motion--bang!

n 2006 a SWAT cop in my county shot an arrestee by accident. The cop's story of how the shot was triggered conflicted with the forensic evidence and the county settled for millions, but pretty much everybody understood it was an accidental/negligent shooting.

A few years ago there was a video floating around the internet of a group of cops arresting a guy. Several cops had him face-down on a parking lot, cops on him. Another cop was standing maybe 8-10 feet beyond the arrestee's head, gun at low ready; the cop had her finger in the trigger guard and accidentally triggered a shot. You can see the bullet impact maybe a foot from the arrestees head. I imagine he or the cops on him caught some bullet fragments, but don't know for sure.

They're object lessons in not putting your finger in the trigger guard until ready to shoot.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Listen' to all that hi-falutin talk. :lol:

Difdi

That's remarkably passive language there. If you or I were to stick our fingers where they should not be, we would negligently shoot someone. And we would be completely liable, both civilly and criminally for our lapse.

But a cop does it and a weapon went off (apparently on its own) and someone was struck (not shot) -- as if those events were totally unrelated to eachother and both unrelated to poor trigger discipline.

Regarding accidental shots, it seems police have a history of accidentally shooting people.

I remember reading somewhere that statistically, you are almost 8 times more likely to be shot accidentally or in error by a police officer than by a private citizen who is carrying. If it's true, I'd bet it has something to do with qualified immunity vs knowing you are responsible for any accidents. Carelessness protects and serves no one.

Last edited: